>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your streamer has a lot of resemblance to the Keith Fulsher "Thunder Creek Series" of streamers. Don't be too critical of your attempts as they will catch fish and practice by tying will help you gain confidence and skill to imitate any pattern whether streamer, dry, etc. Familiarity with different materials, tools,proportions, hook styles and techniques all contribute in the long run to the journey which has no destination. ???? (One tip offered to me was don't try to bury your mistakes with more wraps of thread.). You will find somewhat of a comfort zone if you stick with it. Some excellent references for streamer tying are Carrie Stevens, Lew Oatman and Don Bastian. The images of their skills are a benchmark for anyone. Good luck!!

Thanks Tack-L-Tyer. My second attempt came out better. I am still trying to figure out where to start the head but I have learned even some of my ugliest ties will still catch fish on the right day.

big%20horn%20river%20nymph_zpsrq3ioyhh.jpg

Quill%20Nymph%203_zps4joxs1hl.jpg

Quill%20Nymph%202_zpsyimczt8y.jpg

Quill%20Nymph_zpsf7oljcuy.jpg

What did you use for the tail material?

Top shelf ties nfrechet.
Looks like CDL on the tails.

#1 tail = grizzly

#2,3 & 4 tail = coq de leon (cdl)

the cdl was from a left over feather so i just used it up.

grizzly looks just as good and is much cheaper for the same effect

Nice ties, Norm. I think the barring on the CDL is more pronounced than the grizzly but it is good to compare them side by side. Probably makes no difference in the effectiveness of the fly.

I'm impressed with the artsy-fartsy beads.

Yay! I guessed correct. I thought it was cdl but wasnt sure. I am getting better at identifying materials on a pattern.

So the trick is getting from this grouse tail feather and changing it into this fly called breadcrust. Its an old Pa. Pocono pattern developed by a man named Rudy Sentiwany, back in the 1940’s. He tied this fly to imitate a cased caddis. It is an old staple on the Brodheads River just outside of Stroudsburg Pa. It was also one of my Dad’s favorite patterns. It’s actually and easy patter to tie. The hard part is getting grouse tail feathers. I am fortunate to have a fly fishing buddy “Roger Hoover” who hunts grouse. When he gets one he sends me the tail feathers. Then comes the really hard part is preparing the feathers. This is a bit of a feat in itself. LOL.

As I said it’s a very old pattern that should never be lost.

GenCon

Attachments

• Grouse tail.jpg
    Grouse tail.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
  • breadcrust.jpg
    breadcrust.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 4
My first attempt at a married wing. Let me know what you think and any suggestions

Attachments

• wing 1.jpg
    wing 1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 3
Beautiful fly Nate - I have no suggestions. Never tried a married wing. Rest of the fly is nicely done too.

Nate540 wrote:
My first attempt at a married wing. Let me know what you think and any suggestions

Wow, you did a fantastic job for your first one, jeez. Very very nice.

Beautiful fly Nate. Gencon is qualified to critique the married wing and the rest of the fly.

Thanks guys I've been tying a little over a year now and loving this addiction!

Some flies for the Jersey Shore....

Attachments

• SAM_0015.JPG
    SAM_0015.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 2
thread%20mymph%202%20600_zps13aphw9k.jpg

As usually nfrechet that looks outstanding.

Working on a small Christmas gift for a friend. He supplies me with some great tying materials. Just want to show my appreciation. This is my version of a Eastern green drake soft hackle. It’s a fun fly to tie.

GenCon

Attachments

• green drake SF.jpg
    green drake SF.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back