WF, DT, LT, Level or it just doesn't matter ??

afishinado wrote:
As you probably know Orvis owns SA, so if you tried SA lines, you tried Orvis lines.

Only since 2013. They were owned by 3m for 60 years before that.

And they keep the product line separate.

redietz wrote:
afishinado wrote:
As you probably know Orvis owns SA, so if you tried SA lines, you tried Orvis lines.

Only since 2013. They were owned by 3m for 60 years before that.

And they keep the product line separate.

I worked for Orvis when they purchased SA. SA manufactured fly lines for Orvis before they were purchased by them. There are differences in the SA and Orvis product lines, but they are both produced from same machinery with the same materials at the same factory. I would look at the line specs and choose the taper or type of line that best fits your fishing needs from either label. Both are of equal quality.

Voted DT 2 for price of 1.

I noticed in some online reviews that $50 for a fly line is now considered "cheap."

Though there would be issues with mending, wind and distance, I find this repurposing of a saltwater shock leader worthy of consideration, and perhaps something of a warning to line manufacturers and their absurd pricing policies:

Tain Multi Method Leader Video

Just might try this when my cache of closeout fly lines depletes in a few years.

afishinado wrote:

I worked for Orvis when they purchased SA. SA manufactured fly lines for Orvis before they were purchased by them. There are differences in the SA and Orvis product lines, but they are both produced from same machinery with the same materials at the same factory. I would look at the line specs and choose the taper or type of line that best fits your fishing needs from either label. Both are of equal quality.

True, but the fact is, there are still lines labeld "Orvis" and lines labeld "SA". You can certainly have used one and not the other.

I was so turned off by the first generation of the Wonderline that I've been hesitant to ever try a line labled Orvis since. (And I'm sure they've put that behind them years ago.)

SA Amplitude MPX WF is, in my opinion, the best line on the market right now. By a long shot.

i use level line most often,as it fits my style best ,and roll casts best.

i do get level line for $5-$10 and would disagree with this statement:

"Lastly, I know there are guys who blast of $5.99 fly lines or $8 fly lines. That's great but I am 1000% sure that there is no fly line for $8 that casts as well, lasts as long or floats anywhere near as good as a $39 or $79 line. I've used both and there's no comparison. If you are casting 10' -15' which is done a lot in PA, an $8 line might get the job done. If you are casting 20' - 50' and are using an $8, you are doing yourself a disservice IMHO. Changing a line can make a rod you don't care for become your favorite rod. Premium emphasis is put on the rod and lines are often overlooked. It can make all the difference in the world. "

krsyfish2

i have lines that cost well over a hundred dollars ,such as torpedo tapered silk, and find cheap level line performs just as well.

i do own,and use , WF and DT line. for salt i use WF,for example.

BTW,the old version of cortland 333 level line,seems to last forever.

"BTW,the old version of cortland 333 level line,seems to last forever."

That was clearly a bad design by Cortland. They should have engineered 333 to break down after a season or two so we would have to buy more. ;)

Cortland 333+ was one of my all time favorite lines. Just seemed to work so well for how I fish. I still have a bunch of spools of it laying around.

Out of curiosity, I did a search for level line. I actually found a 333+ L6F in gecko white... eBay for $16! Feel like getting it for nostalgic purposes. LoL.

Do any of you guys still use Cortland 444sl ? This was my first good line years ago I purchased and pretty much as others had said made my sub par rod seem like a premium one. It did have some memory back then but heck they all did. Has anybody tried a new version lately?

Triangle Taper on both of my Winstons dedicated for dry fly fishing. Weight forward for general FFing duties.

+1 on triangle taper use it exclusively.

Now we're talking. I want to pick the brains of you TT users. I believe it's called a delta taper (?) which in theory always has heavier line turning over lighter line.

Which version do you use?

* Premium plus textured (appears to be brand new)
* Triangle Taper
* Triangle Taper Plus
* Triangle Taper Ambush
* Triangle Taper Long Belly
* Joan Wulff Signature line

I'm interested in experimenting with the line but not sure which way to go. It would be 99% dry fly line. I don't need a grossly overweighted line as my casting is good. I believe Ambush is more of a roll caster or could be used as a no false cast floating streamer line. Not interested in something like that.

Experiences with this taper? I believe that the AirFlo River & Stream is a similar type of taper. It casts wonderfully but seems to get pretty heavy once you have a good bit of line out.

Does it turn over nicely on everything from brown drakes to pseudos or is it more of a small fly line?

Durability?

Flotation in comparison to other lines you've used?

Thanks

Triangle taper users ?? Any response?

I have been using the Wulff TT for about ten years now. I first tried it on a trip out west which was almost exclusively dry fly conditions.

I was not a big foam nut and set up my trip in anticipation that I would be using mainly PMD's, smaller green drakes, mahogany duns, etc. all in the 18 to 12 size range. The TT line worked flawlessly, but being out there had to try some of the big foam (hopper dropper, etc.) and it handled the larger flies adequately.

Was using this line with a 9' Helios ZG and 8'6" Superfine Graphite (4wts.).

Most notable about the line was it appeared to present the fly "softer" on the longer distance casts (if that makes sense) and improved distance with control.

From my experience I can get about 3 to 4 seasons of life span (which includes 40 to 60 outings locally in PA, several semi local jaunts tp NY, WV and one or two western trips annually).

It doesn't have the durability of some other line choices but for me its performance is noticeably better.

Durability was my sole complaint with the one and only TT I ever owned or fished. Otherwise, it was the sweetest casting line I've ever used. The one I had (purchased shortly after they first came out) checked and cracked to the point of uselessness in about a half season (which at the time was probably 250 hours use time for me..).

To be fair though, I treated it the same way I used my peach 444's, pretty oblivious to care and I walked on it a lot, etc. The 444 was always a pretty forgiving line for this sort of use, the TT is not.

I'm giving a TT a try again this year and will only use it on medium to larger waters. We'll see how it goes..

It sounds like you both used the original and not the plus or ambush models. Maybe I'll drive over to Wulff's place this spring and see if they have a few spooled up to test cast.

It’s hard to isolate the variables but, I’ve worked through DT, Ll and now top of the line Rio on my NRX. No comparison. Shoots a mile casting from my wrist. Is it the line, the rod? I dunno. It isn’t my skill that’s for sure.

I'm not gonna lie, I buy cheap fly lines. I fish a ton of small streams and the amount of true casting I do is minimal. Lots of "bow and arrow" casting, roll casting, high sticking, etc. I use a WF on my 9' 5WT and DT on my 7'6" 4 WT. If I was bombing a lot of line out or fishing large waters, I'd likely got with a better line, but right now I just don't have a need for it. And with multiple setups, using cheaper fly line allows me to "rotate the inventory" more frequently. YMMV...

Back