Wet Wading Shoes?

I've been on these this year. Teva Gateway:

I mostly wet wade - by mid May it's too hot for me to want to put on waders - and I've tried many options from boots to Vans to Crocs

Pros on these Tevas:
- lightweight ripstop material dries quick. Only the suede heel panel and the padded collar absorb a little water
- comfortable
- grip is great on all terrains so far
- I got them for $30 from Sierra in the spring. Could've bought 4 pairs for the price of the Orvis shoes

Cons
- These stink like nothing else I've ever owned. I leave all my gear to dry in the back of the Rav (because I'm mostly a failed human), and the morning after fishing I've had to pull them out to dry on the hood a couple times it was so bad.
- There are already 3-4 holes in the green ripstop. There's a black layer underneath so they don't go all the way through, but that durability issue is still annoying

I bought some sock liners today...just standard poly sock liners.

Wore those inside my Simms boots to wet wade and it was great. I need to get some gravel guards, but they were comfortable and didn't hold water like a thick sock would. Very pleased.

Using the regular wading boots definitely was good for footing on the brown algae covered rocks.

I don’t know how anyone over 30 ( unless your in terrific shape) wears sandals or shoes. Plus 20 for neoprene socks and regular wading boots. Add some quick drying long pants and long sleeve shirt with a lanyard and a small box of flies your ready.

I bought these for a 7 day canoe trip to the boundary waters a few years ago

They have excellent traction, dry super quick, and have a tough sole that dampens rocks better than your average “water shoe”

I have been wet wading in these + quick dry hiking pants to ward off the poison ivy and it’s a great combo

View attachment 1641226461
I saw that company. I think I'll give them a try next year. They got serious about designing a shoe for what we would call 'wet wading', but they call like amphibious sports or something like that.

I don’t know how anyone over 30 ( unless your in terrific shape) wears sandals or shoes. Plus 20 for neoprene socks and regular wading boots. Add some quick drying long pants and long sleeve shirt with a lanyard and a small box of flies your ready.
As a 195 lb 5ft 9in 52 year old with 2 hip replacements, I thank you for thinking so highly of my physicality!

Back