Wet Wading Shoes?

Orvis pro approach wading shoe with Simms wool sock.

I just used my old sneakers for 35 years until I got plantar fasciitis. Now I use my wading boots with neoprene socks for better protection for my feet. Better traction on slippery rocks too. I canoe quite a bit and use river shoes when canoeing, but on slippery bottoms they don't have much traction. Great for most sand and gravel bottoms, but not always good for slippery, rocky bottoms.

With the temps getting high, I'm going to need to switch to wet-wading. I've been using my waders just for some sense of protection from poison ivy (there's so so so much of it in the areas I fish), but it's too darn hot for that anymore.

I guess neoprene socks are in my future. I know some use wool socks and I should try it with my old, worn ones...I just can't come to terms with it, lol. I just imagine them feeling nasty and squishy in my boots.

I was going to put studs on my Simms boots too, since the rocks are slippery as heck now, but I also got a kayak, and in/out of the 'yak with studded boots doesn't seem like a smart idea.

I know that a common complaint with neoprene socks is the "potpourri" of sweaty feet, river water, and neoprene in the car or truck.

The solution is simple. Pour tap water or bottled water into the boots, rinse well, and then stuff them with newspaper.

I pretty much stopped wet wading and prefer to always wear my waders regardless of heat. They are great for limiting Poison ivy, ticks, and the various flesh eating bacteria that I read about and am totally freaked out by. I little sweat never hurt anybody.

I also use neoprene booties and my normal wading boots. Rather than buy neoprene socks I usually just cut the feet off an old pair of waders leaving everything from the gravel guard down. Then just cut a couple small slits in the neoprene to let water drain out. These have lasted me years. I usually wear a pair of socks underneath.

I haven’t tried socks in wading boots.

I’ve waded in old socks and old sneakers many years ago and I loathed the soggy/squishy feeling they have.

Same with socks in wading boots?

Who needs support and ankle protection? These are great especially when the inserts bunch up under your toes after a few miles. Haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220713-084013.png
    Screenshot_20220713-084013.png
    414.3 KB · Views: 8
I have a cheap pair from Cabela's similar to that. I was pulling my kayak in at lowtide (I'm in Chincoteague currently) and the muck slurped those things right off my feet. Each step.

Ugh.

For actual wading and fishing I prefer wearing socks or neoprene liners in my wading boots.

If kayaking and jumping out at random gravel bars etc then you can get away with any sneakers, sandal, croc footwear of your choice.

Personally I have smashed my toes or rolled ankles or slipped everything I try to wade with any level of aggression without wading boots.

Spent two weeks last year in the Grand Canyon and discovered these. I wear them as water shoes and to the office and pretty much everywhere.

I haven't worn full waders more than once in 15 years because I almost exclusively wet wade and it's stocking foot hippers in the dead of winter. My usual approach with stocking foot anything is a wool sock on my bare foot (layered with a liner sock if it's REALLY cold), wader Neoprene bootee, wading shoe.

When I wet wade it is a wool sock on my bare foot, Neoprene guard sock over the wool sock and the same wading shoe I wear all the time. The key is to use a Neoprene GUARD sock that is thicker like your wader bootee and has a gravel guard versus just a Neoprene sock that is thinner without a gravel guard.

When I wear the wool sock & the guard sock together, I get the same fit with the same wading shoe as I have with waders/hippers. The wool sock adds some cushioning and reduces that sloppy slippery feeling of my bare foot in wet Neoprene. When I get home, I hang up my wading shoes and guard socks to dry and throw the wool socks in the washer because that's the only thing that holds an odor.

The other absolute is I NEVER wear shorts which I never wear anyway so that's easy. When wet wading I wear thin Supplex Nylon long pants tucked into the wool sock/Neoprene guard sock combo. Supplex Nylon is light & cool and the pants dry out in short order. They will save you from just about everything but thorns & nettle, but they are easier to avoid than poison ivy and bugs.

In regards to the original topic of a purpose made or wet wading specific shoe...

I never understood not needing a quality wading shoe that supports, has traction and doesn't let gravel, rocks and mud in just because it's hot. Do your regular wading shoes miraculously get heavier and the rocks less slippery in summer?

If so, when exactly does this happen, late June....? ;)

The beauty of wet wading is you cool off once you get in the water so I never worry about how hot I get on the way to the creek. Another thing that helps is a bandanna around my neck that gets dunked in the water frequently. When I quit it's usually cooler and I have cold beer waiting for me in the back of my SUV, a change of clothes if I feel the need and the AC for the ride home.

Stay cool...

I‘ve spent a lot of summers on the Yellowstone River wearing Keen and Simms water sandals. The ones I had were felt soled, and I don’t think they’re made any more, but you can certainly glue your own felt onto the bottom, or put cleats in them, if you wished. I generally also wear tethers with them because I’ve had a few times when I’ve stepped in a sand or muck stream bottom and they’ve come off my feet. Both of those have capped ends so you don’t have to worry about stubbing your toes.

In colder weather or water I also wet wade in wading boots with neoprene socks, as many others here do. That does add a bit if extra weight compared to the water sandals though if that‘s a concern.

70 year old guys like me need ankle support.

70 year old guys like me need ankle support.
To be clear, my post was a joke.

I do have those cheap water shoes for lower effort outings. They never last the season and I currently have a good cut on my ankle bone from sliding against a rock last time out. They're also great for reinfecting my ankle with poison ivy. I'm fortunate in that PI stays localized when I get it. Thankfully, no issues this year, but I probably just haven't been fishing enough.

Heat doesn't bother me so I will wear real waders in summer if the location calls for it. Hiking boots if it's a long trek to the stream, but they don't guard against my biggest summertime enemy, stinging nettle!

You may want to take a look at neoprene booties made for diving. I bought a pair off ebay that zip up the side for a nice fit. Comfortable and work great!

I was going to put studs on my Simms boots too, since the rocks are slippery as heck now, but I also got a kayak, and in/out of the 'yak with studded boots doesn't seem like a smart idea.
I use a rubber carpet cut to fit that lines the floor/hull of my yak/canoe so that I can wear studded soles. Non-studded felt is an option but it brings more mud and water into your boat as you get in and out.

As was said in the other thread, they do sell a successor to the RipRap. Some styling changes in the uppers but it's the same thing. This is NOT the same product as the Flyweight Boot. Flyweight seems to be a series of products.

I bought these for a 7 day canoe trip to the boundary waters a few years ago

They have excellent traction, dry super quick, and have a tough sole that dampens rocks better than your average “water shoe”

I have been wet wading in these + quick dry hiking pants to ward off the poison ivy and it’s a great combo

BD84A148 0A29 43E4 8B08 CFB7648146EE

Back