Wet Wading Shoes?

S

Sylvaneous

I have a pair of Simms Riptide or RipRap or whatever wet wading shoes from a few years ago. They don't list anything like this anymore. I looked at the very richly priced Orvis wading shoes and found numerous complaints about the same problem with fit. Are there any other options for wet wading shoes? I didn't find any.
Syl

I do the normal wading boot and a neoprene sock as well. Way more comfortable than water shoes on rocks.

I do the normal wading boot and a neoprene sock as well. Way more comfortable than water shoes on rocks.
Same here.
I like my felt or cleats and feel that regular wading boots provide good protections for my feet and ankles. I wet-wade a lot of streams and rivers with big or jagged rocks.

I wet wade a lot. I have the Orvis Pro Boa wading boots, with the studs installed and wear Simms 3.5 mm wading booties. This works well for me.

I have a pair of the simms rip rap sandals . I think they are size 11 or 12 used once. Pm me if you want them.

I have a pair of the simms rip rap sandals . I think they are size 11 or 12 used once. Pm me if you want them.
I had a pair of 10's last year w/ the felt in-set soles. But they were a smidge too big for me, so I gave them to my friend who was hosting me last year in Bozeman. I'd take a 91/2 or 9, but they were OUT across the nation by late june last year.

I use Tevas. The only things that I don’t like about that is exposure to poison ivy and ticks, so I choose my routes to the Schuylkill R judiciously.

I use Tevas. The only things that I don’t like about that is exposure to poison ivy and ticks, so I choose my routes to the Schuylkill R judiciously.
Oooof, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a way to the Schuylkill that wasn’t lined with poison ivy….

If I see poison ivy, I probably will get it. I am that allergic. I have never seen it at my R&G club in Carbon & Monroe counties. There are a lot of ticks and other biting insects. Next weekend will test my Insect Shield clothing.

Regular wading boots with neoprene socks.

Tried Tevas - too many pebbles trapped under my feet and banged up toes. Keens are better cause of the rubber toe guard but still not as good as regular wading boots.

Regular wading boots with neoprene socks.

Tried Tevas - too many pebbles trapped under my feet and banged up toes. Keens are better cause of the rubber toe guard but still not as good as regular wading boots.
This has been my experience as well.

Old shoes, crocs, sandals, flip flops. They all work just fine depending on where you are wading and fishing. There is no need overcomplicate this or make it more expensive than it needs to be. Usually just a pair of old regular sneakers works wonderfully but you can get rocks in them and that stinks. I love crocs or flip flops to shake rocks out with ease.

Wading boots are nice with neoprene socks because they go up and provide more protection from leeches. I have had a few leeches in my life and, although it is a minor inconvenience, I don't much enjoy them.

I just use my normal wading boots, double up the socks. I prefer to have ankle support

I did buy the Simms Flyweight boots and have put many miles on them. They are lighter and work well for both wet and normal wading.

I used to wet wade in Chacos sandals, but after a few run ins with chiggers and/or poison ivy, I now also wear the neoprene wading socks with my wading boots. Long pants are a must!

I have a pair of Simms Riptide or RipRap or whatever wet wading shoes from a few years ago. They don't list anything like this anymore. I looked at the very richly priced Orvis wading shoes and found numerous complaints about the same problem with fit. Are there any other options for wet wading shoes? I didn't find any.
Syl
Regular wading boots and SealSkin neoprene wading socks. Or whatever other neoprene socks you've got.

Wearing my regular Simms wading boots over socks works well but are a little bulky. I took an old pair of Merrill hiking boots and installed a set of grip studs from an older pair of wading boots. I have to say my wading is much more enjoyable with the same traction as my regular wading boots.

Back