West Branch Delaware

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

Yesterday I had the pleasure of fishing with Krayfish, Mutzinbaugh, NickR, and Mutzinbaugh's friend on the West Branch of the Delaware. While the fishing was slow, I can say that I learned a bunch of new things from the guys. Krayfish was awesome to finally meet and fish with...just a really knowledgeable guy and funny as heck! I am glad to have been asked to come along on the trip. Before I got there, the streamer bite was on for Kray (Friday) and Saturday when we did get out, it started off okay but the fish would flash, look, and not take. I had a few swipes early from Hale down to WB Angler but the fog throughout the day kept the fish very wary. By the time we saw fishing rising, we were right on top of them. Bugs were everywhere on the water...mostly little olives, a few stenos, and even some gray fox at the end of the day. Kray saw what he thought was a golden drake mid-day but not much action on top. NickR, Mutzinbaugh, and his buddy were also very knowledgeable and cool guys to fish with. They went out this morning again so I wonder how they did...I am sure they will report back. I definitely look forward to fishing with them in the future. Just passing along a fun day of fishing and more importantly, learning from guys that definitely know how to catch fish! Thanks fellas!

Hey, it was nice to meet ya and we'll need to get out there again. Saturday was pretty slow but that's fishing. This morning was a different story. In the first mile, I hooked 10-11 on streamers and landed 5. Nothing huge but all were 17-19". Mutzinbaugh was fishing right beside me and couldn't move a fish. Fishing doesn't always make sense. I guess right a few times more than the others today....that's all. On Friday, I did turn a fish in the 5-6 pound range but he missed the fly when he went after is. Took a few smaller bows / browns on nymphs during this morning's float. What was amazing today was the number of stenos hatching an no rises. I've never had any luck tossing big streamers but lady luck smiled on me this weekend. I've got the blisters on my hands to prove I put in several thousand sink tip casts. We also had a few more angry beaver moments.

On Friday, going through a riff and I looked down when a huge rock popped up under my pontoon seat. Not a rock, it was a beaver!! He floated for 10-15 feet staying between my feet. He was inches from my wading boot. I could have patted him on the head. I just stayed still and hoped he would leave. Eventually he did but that was too close for comfort.

I will add this......BigBass has been fly fishing for 2 years or so. He knocks his casting as "just being a novice". In all honesty, he's a better caster than 80% of guys I've fished with. Pretty impressive. Keep at it and you'll be stacking them like cord wood.

"but the fog throughout the day kept the fish very wary."

Typically, in my experience, fog and/or mist, on the water of the WB signals the potential for excellent streamer action as the trout become less inhibited due to the fog giving them a "protected" feeling and they chase, and eat, streamers very well. Most of my best streamer days have been when heavy mist is on the water and the water temp is in the mid to high 50's. I know the water temps were considerably less than that as I was there on Friday and Saturday wading and left this afternoon.

What a great report!

Glad you gents had a good time - wish I coulda joined yuh.

That river has been on my mind lately. I'm trying to get together a series of paintings on the WB. Here's another one in progress: Thunderstorm at Shehawken.

Attachments

• WB1.jpg
    WB1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6
Very nice Dave.

Matt, I waved at you as you were putting in at shehawken but you blew by on your way to drop the boat. Friday and Saturday conditions were all you could hope for....but fishing wasn't quite up to snuff.

Hey Andy....will be up staying in a cabin at WB Anglers Sept 15th-18th...hook up?

krayfish2 wrote:
Very nice Dave.

Matt, I waved at you as you were putting in at shehawken but you blew by on your way to drop the boat. Friday and Saturday conditions were all you could hope for....but fishing wasn't quite up to snuff.

Awesome Dave

Sorry fade. During week typically equals "no way" response from my boss. I then have wedding that weekend... work the following weekend. Spicolli is coming from California to fish and I can't get off while he's here for 'epic stuff bro'. LMAO

K2 is getting married...? Intervention Time

Spicolli coming back just made me spew water out of my nose. He's an absolute trip

Not me getting married...young lady from work. Free grub and eye candy so I'm in.

Norm,
Spicoli is awesome. He's a good fisherman and the enthusiasm is contagious. Dude does like getting tuned up though. LOL

Good report. I have yet to try streamers but mainly because i don't have a boat or yak...someday.

Andy, it was awesome at the D Jam last year. Spicoli was entertaining to say the least, tuned up or not. I'd like to get back up there again, that was a nice group of people last year. Maybe one of these days. Norm

It's tough coordinating the schedules to get Spicoli and big Frank there at the same time. LMAO

J,
You don't need a boat to fish them but it does make it easier.

Kray,

That beast you moved on Friday on the streamer..what would you guesstimate the length would be of that 5-6 pound WB trout?

I'd estimate 25" but VERY thick. Here's some pics from the weekend. Tough doing solo photos. On Friday, the weather was perfect. I saw 3 waders and 1 private driftboat in 11 miles. It was a far cry from the last trip where we came around the bend to find a quarter mile section that had 10 boats anchored and 16-18 wade fishermen. Maybe stimey will post that pic. It would be like anchoring up 50 yards below Ramcatt raft launch on a holiday weekend. No fun. LMAO

Attachments

• P8220828.JPG
    P8220828.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
  • P8220829.JPG
    P8220829.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 6
  • P8220830.JPG
    P8220830.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P8220831.JPG
    P8220831.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P8220832.JPG
    P8220832.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 7
  • P8220834.JPG
    P8220834.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 7
  • P8220835.JPG
    P8220835.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 7
  • P8220836.JPG
    P8220836.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 7
  • P8220837.JPG
    P8220837.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P8240838.JPG
    P8240838.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240839.JPG
    P8240839.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240840.JPG
    P8240840.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240841.JPG
    P8240841.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 7
  • P8240842.JPG
    P8240842.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240843.JPG
    P8240843.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240844.JPG
    P8240844.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240846.JPG
    P8240846.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240847.JPG
    P8240847.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240849.JPG
    P8240849.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 6
  • P8240851.JPG
    P8240851.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
That vitamin-Y in the second pic looks to be in a precarious spot! I would have dumped it in the D for sure.

I was nervous. Just opened it and was anchored in choppy water. Quick photo and promptly converted to urine. LOL.

krayfish2 wrote:
I was nervous. Just opened it and was anchored in choppy water. Quick photo and promptly converted to urine. LOL.

Brave Man, K. Coulda ended up being a tragedy...

Nice pics. Looks like you did more than okay.

Back