Warm water/Juniata Jam August 26-28

Hi Josh,
Any thoughts on fishing conditions and wading levels for Friday and Saturday? The gauge is not coming down as quickly as I had hoped.
Remember I'm much older than you and Hop!
Thanks,
Ken

Gentlemen, the river should be in nearly perfect condition. I'm assuming it will have a slight stain to it, but nothing to hinder fishing. The level and flow will be agreeable to wading. I will check tomorrow and post again with more info, but I don't see any problems with the flow or color.

Hi Josh,
Any thoughts on fishing conditions and wading levels for Friday and Saturday? The gauge is not coming down as quickly as I had hoped.
Remember I'm much older than you and Hop!
Thanks,
Ken

I don’t know Ken, I bet you can still get out there with the best of them!! I don’t plan on floating this time so if you wade we can look out for one another. I know when I wade fish the susky, I often wear my PFD. ( though it did not protect me from breaking my hand on a rock) Place is downright treacherous.

Anyway, Josh knows the river in that area better than anyone and it does look like the Lewistown gauge is projecting levels to be back down by mid day Friday.

Look forward to seeing you, it’s been some time!

I'm about 95% sure I can't make it. Would take a miracle at this point.

I don’t know Ken, I bet you can still get out there with the best of them!! I don’t plan on floating this time so if you wade we can look out for one another. I know when I wade fish the susky, I often wear my PFD. ( though it did not protect me from breaking my hand on a rock) Place is downright treacherous.

Anyway, Josh knows the river in that area better than anyone and it does look like the Lewistown gauge is projecting levels to be back down by mid day Friday.

Look forward to seeing you, it’s been some time!
Yes. After checking the gauge this morning the river will be easily wadeable by nearly anyone. You'll be good Ken. Just remember the Juniata is far different than the Susky, too. There are lots of places where it is shallow, crushed gravel with few large rocks and still plenty of bass. One of my favorite places nearby where we'll be is a shallow flat shelf where you only have to be knee deep. I tend to have excellent top water fishing while standing and casting popping bugs out into that shallow shelf. I can entertain myself there for hours if the bite is good. The water is shallow with very little current so you'll be great.

Gentlemen, the river should be in nearly perfect condition. I'm assuming it will have a slight stain to it, but nothing to hinder fishing. The level and flow will be agreeable to wading. I will check tomorrow and post again with more info, but I don't see any problems with the flow or color.
Yup!

J River at Lewistown gage

Ok, I expect to be there mid-morning and fish tomorrow and Saturday. I'm bringing some snacks (bologna, blue cheese, pretzels and peanuts) to share. Looking forward to a good weekend.
See you tomorrow.
Ken

I will probably be there and milling around sometime around 8. I'll probably have to make a few runs to my house at some point but I only live 6 miles up the road. I will leave my phone number written and taped on a table under an EZ-UP if anyone shows up and can't find me. See y'all tomorrow.

Josh and others,

I am packed and ready to go. Almost cancelled when I broke a tooth last night but I got an emergency pull job and am good to go.(so far)

Anyway my truck has a funny lookin 16’ green beret on it and I am hoping someone will be able to hold the front down for me. So anyone wishing to float that doesnt have a vessel, I have a seat for ya.

I should be up around sunset or better I hope.

See yinz then.

Maurice

Attachments

• 33E4A3B1-BD88-47FF-A85D-D2800A9E66AC.jpeg
    33E4A3B1-BD88-47FF-A85D-D2800A9E66AC.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 15
Sounds like a blast, but I have my Farrell High School class of 72, 50th reunion. 1972 Basketball State Champs

Love to see some pictures on how it goes
Just a few pictures from Friday and Saturday wading crew. Fishing was ok but the company was better!!

6BA2656D 949A 48BE 8900 7EF82D0A8681

Our host Josh landed a few nice ones!

5DA7B966 6377 4807 881E AC831AF955FE

Ken releasing one caught on a popper.

AA234CF4 BBA1 4398 884B D94A95AF6579

Mystery man from Bucks 😀😀

06E05960 FD30 494E 8640 AB3234793C6A

Nick and His pup tying flies at camp.

3E3171A8 5B5E 4138 85C5 FCE305F75E5D

Thanks for posting these pictures, Ken. It was really nice to meet you and the others that were there. I’ve never experienced such a superb host, fantastic cook, fine fisherman and all around great guy as Josh. (Those of you that weren’t there missed something special, IMO.)

Sorry I missed saying goodby to those of you who left on Saturday before I got back to camp, as I had the honor of sharing a seat on the boat floating the river all day Saturday with Dave Allbaugh (Wetfly01) and his son, John. As I’d never fished SM before, I learned a lot from those 2 - I even learned that it is occasionally possible to make 2 casts in succession without catching a fish (every time I looked up, one or the other of them had a fish on!)

A short distance upriver from our takeout, we also passed by the largest tree (a silver maple) that I have ever seen that had recently fallen into the river. (And after spending 20+ summers in Montana, I’ve seen plenty of big fallen trees in rivers.) Golly, I’m sure glad nobody was injured when it came down - you can tell that story, Hopback.

John

It was good having y'all. I'll put a picture of Brian up and see which version the mystery man likes better. Same pic, but different mystery man cover techniques..I think the looks good in purple, honestly.

Attachments

• PXL_20220827_134713599~3.jpg
    PXL_20220827_134713599~3.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20220827_134713599~2.jpg
    PXL_20220827_134713599~2.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 47
The Juniata Jam is truly a great way to spend your time.

Thank you Josh.

Back