Walmart Flies?

kelso2340

kelso2340

Has anybody seen the big kits that Walmart sells? you get like 50 flies for like 10 bucks?! I am sure these are all useless but i just wanted to see if anybody has ever used any of these and if any of them are worth it

They will catch bass if that is what you are fishing for.......I would not recommend them for trout fishing. There are a couple of online locations that serviceable flies can be purchased from that are affordable.

where do you order from? the cheapest place i have found so far is TheFlyStop.com

You will find some good deals on here.

http://www.discountflies.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

yeah i did see that site....theflystop is a little bit cheaper and i think they look like better quality...thank you though.

There is a guy on ebay that goes by the name of malverncollectibles that sells flies by the dozen. The popular patterns usually go in the $7 range. There is also Tonto Creek Flies that sells in quantities. I have purchased from both and have caught fish on the flies. I am pretty sure that both are selling "hand tied" flies from either Thailand or China so take it with a grain of salt. I usually end up with a few that are un-fishable in a group but really at those prices can't complain about a few defects.
They are not the same quality that you would get from a TCO but they are also not 2 bucks apiece.

Burgh wrote:
They will catch bass if that is what you are fishing for.......I would not recommend them for trout fishing. There are a couple of online locations that serviceable flies can be purchased from that are affordable.

They're garbage.... only suitable for trout fishing. If you seek to catch real game fish, like smallmouth bass for example, you'll need more sophisticated stuff.
:)

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I looked at the flies at Wal-Mart (and I do buy some fishing gear there). I'd imagine the dry flies may not be serviceable but the wets and streamers will probably work fine (for bass and trout). The first thing I'd do is check the hooks and sharpen or de-bard 'em as needed. A drop of fly tying head cement ought to keep 'em from coming apart; maybe some trimming with scissors. Flies don't need to be perfect to catch fish.

the package he's talking about are all brightly colored "wet" flies. None will accurately match a hatch. If I bought them I would use them for bluegill as they eat just about anything.

I'd either find someone who will tie you some or go to an online site like the flystop. I believe they are all hand tied and are based in PA. I tie myself and haven't bought a fly in a number of years but have heard nothing but good things on theflystop.

The flystop's flies are the same quality you will find in most fly shops. In fact, they are the *same* flies you may find in fly shops. I would buy with complete confidence, but I tie most if not all my own.

Kev

I just got my third shipment of flies from the flystop. Great service(I ordered Monday evening) and the flies are top quality. The hooks could be better grade, but the flies are .50-.65 so I dont think I can complain. I am a college student, so I tie all the cheap patterns and order the ones that would be expensive/time consuming.

https://www.hillsdiscountflies.com/ and www.discountflies.com sell as good as any fly you will find at fly pro shops like TCO or any other fly shop where you are paying $1.75 - $2.00. Most cost $1.09 for 1 - 3 flies, then $.99 for 4 - 6, and a few other steps down in price for larger quantities. They both use Tiemco or Daiichi hooks, premium genetic dry fly hackle and the flies are well proportioned and durable.

The only 'walmart' flies I ever bought and used were the Elk Hair Caddis' they sell. They are actually pretty tough and made well. I'd rather give my money to an independent tier though :p

I've bought a couple of their Flashabou buggers. Oddly enough, they're the only buggers I've ever caught fish on.

Oh, and those South Bend bulkpack hard poppers.

They do tend to sort of fall apart, I could probably do a little judicious head cementing to alleviate that.

The benefit of Sprawlmart flies is they're there. If you're in a rush, and you see them, you can add them.

I won't lie I've used the Flashbuggers, too. They held up alright, but they are made by Cortland, so some type of quality should be expected. They worked well for Rock Bass, Panfish, and Bass.

They have flies in a 2 pack of the same type that look ok, I wouldn't buy some big fly assortment from them. They useually have the 2 pack where the leaders and fly line are hanging.

My first trout on a fly was on one of the four flies packaged with my line and leader in the fibergalss Eagle Claw flyfishing starter kit I bought for $39.99. If I'm not mistaken, it was an olive wooly bugger, a fly that caught me many of my first 2-3 years worth of fish because I believed it would.

Those are further than 15 minutes from my house.

Most of the flys that come from Orvis, Cabelas,Bass Pro Shops, the independent fly shops all come from Sri Lanka, they look like they're all well made, ( they probably get 10 lashes if they scew one up) the ones that look like they were made from leftovers from a cheap fly tying kit are probably from China or Taiwan.

Back