Vintage Eagle Claw Model Ec-10 fly reel

About 2000 years ago I owned a first generation HMG except it was the GFF-755.

FWIW - I am almost positive I pared it with a first generation CFO III with a stated weight of around 3.0 oz.

I can't recall how it balanced but I don't remember any issues with the reel foot not fitting.

I sold the rod eons ago but I still have the reel so if you want me to measure the foot, just ask...

And NO, the reel isn't for sale. ;)

If you won’t sell that “old” CFO, how about an even up trade for this beauty! 😳😳

It's because vintage can refer to a point in time rather than age
Now ya got it. Not only CAN it. It's supposed to refer to a specific time. Using vintage without a time or date means it was produced at the same time period as when other things (like wine obviously) were produced at high quality. Vintage does not mean old. Antique on the other hand...

I didn't ever not "get it".
The entire point was that a featherweight was my vote as probably being a good light weight reel for the rod.
The side conversation that the reel isn't vintage is not of my own, I'm clearly claiming it is.
Regardless if new reels have a single screw, they have had single screws from 1972-present.

That is it's "vintage".

The claim of vintage being only from a certain time frame rather than AND/OR age is just silly also. It has its adjective definition and is very diverse in application through definitions which is why it is applied very liberally.

Most produced products have differing values on this subject, but markets and retailers have them regardless of our opinions on them. Cars are a great example. Such enthusiasts have categorization schemes for ages of cars that enforce distinctions between antique cars, vintage cars, classic cars, and so on.

Fly fishing is no different and again it can be seen through vintage tackle dealers.

Last edited:
Defining vintage as being 50 years or older is silly. Sorry to get your panties in a bunch. :ROFLMAO:

The entire world must be silly to Tom.🤣

Thats a better explanation but its still a misuse of the word and it's actual definition. It started out as me teasing you but clearly I've triggered you. For that I'm sorry.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230326_152645_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230326_152645_Chrome.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 8
Thats a better explanation but its still a misuse of the word and it's actual definition. It started out as me teasing you but clearly I've triggered you. For that I'm sorry.
On the contrary I'm neither of those, teased or triggered.

I'm just simply try to convey what the market considers vintage when dealing with antiquities, both fishing and in other items.

It's apparently 40 years or older, up until 100, then it is antique. I said 50 but I was wrong in that.

That's it. This is common knowledge, or so I thought. It apparently is not and I was wrong in this too.

Last edited:
About 2000 years ago I owned a first generation HMG except it was the GFF-755.

FWIW - I am almost positive I pared it with a first generation CFO III with a stated weight of around 3.0 oz.

I can't recall how it balanced but I don't remember any issues with the reel foot not fitting.

I sold the rod eons ago but I still have the reel so if you want me to measure the foot, just ask...

And NO, the reel isn't for sale. ;)
Bamboozie,
If you want to measure the width of the reel foot on your CFO at the end, that would be great.
If you could also check out how thin it appears to be? The reel foot on different manufacturers reels can be different. Some are obviously wider, some are thinner at the end. Thinner meaning thickness.
I would fish this rod on smaller streams. I really only need a reel to hold the line.
It has to balance obviously but, if I have to alter a reel foot I will.

Bamboozie,
If you want to measure the width of the reel foot on your CFO at the end, that would be great.
If you could also check out how thin it appears to be? The reel foot on different manufacturers reels can be different. Some are obviously wider, some are thinner at the end. Thinner meaning thickness.
I would fish this rod on smaller streams. I really only need a reel to hold the line.
If it turns out you get sick of trying, id consider purchasing the rod at a fair price.
🙂

If it turns out you get sick of trying, id consider purchasing the rod at a fair price.
🙂
It won’t take much for me to rework a reel foot if need be.
I believe, I’ll find a reel eventually.
Thanks for asking….

Bamboozie,

Hope this helps, these are the only measurements I could easily get without removing the foot but they should suffice.

FWIW - I pirated the diagram from the AFFTA (American Fly Fishing Trade Association) standard for fly reel feet and plugged in my measurements:

CFO III Reel Foot

Hope this helps, these are the only measurements I could easily get without removing the foot but they should suffice.

FWIW - I pirated the diagram from the AFFTA (American Fly Fishing Trade Association) standard for fly reel feet and plugged in my measurements:

View attachment 1641229532
Bamboozie,
Thanks, for these measurements. Very informative!
I appreciate it…Thank You everyone for your input.

Fly5:

I have no idea what reel(s) are on your short list for that rod but if it doesn't have to be a "period correct" reel, the first generation Ross Evolution and Ross Rhythm (early 2000's) had reel feet that without checking I would almost guarantee would fit.

Good luck!!

Fly5:

I have no idea what reel(s) are on your short list for that rod but if it doesn't have to be a "period correct" reel, the first generation Ross Evolution and Ross Rhythm (early 2000's) had reel feet that without checking I would almost guarantee would fit.

Good luck!!
Bamboozie,
More good information, I’ll check those Ross reels out.
Thanks!

Back