Vintage Eagle Claw Model Ec-10 fly reel

Well to me, a Hardy featherweight would probably be a great real for it,

If that groove doesn't fit in the cork enough for the band to slide over, I'd try sanding the foot on one side, Lord knows I've modified equipment before for my purposes and probably would again.

The reel pictured is not really a "vintage" Hardy. A true vintage would be one of the Lightweight series with the two screw nickel silver line guard. I paid $25 for my first Hardy LRH. The extra spool was a whopping $7. Now I believe they are manufactured in Japan and are a bit over $200.

You can buy 2 screw reproductions of several Hardy reels now for 399.00. I saw them on the Trident website. Models included Lightweight, Princess and LRH.

Is it like the rod in post #15?

If it is, I could post here and get an answer for you for certain. These guys will know, I'm sure there is a cheaper option than a Hardy Featherweight
Yes, that is the rod. Probably doesn’t matter but, the serial number on my rod is 26,540. That is a great picture and thread. It appears to be a Heddon , maybe 310 reel. I have that reel and again seems like the reel foot is too wide.
When I purchased the rod , it had a Hardy Flyweight reel on it. Or should I say it came with it. That reel foot is too wide as well, for the fixed end.
Maybe, like you said the cork needs some alterations? Possibly, if the cork got wet a bunch of times, it swelled.
I won’t rush into anything yet! Any more info is appreciated!

Yes, that is the rod. Probably doesn’t matter but, the serial number on my rod is 26,540. That is a great picture and thread. It appears to be a Heddon , maybe 310 reel. I have that reel and again seems like the reel foot is too wide.
When I purchased the rod , it had a Hardy Flyweight reel on it. Or should I say it came with it. That reel foot is too wide as well, for the fixed end.
Maybe, like you said the cork needs some alterations? Possibly, if the cork got wet a bunch of times, it swelled.
I won’t rush into anything yet! Any more info is appreciated!
I'd alter the reel foot before I'd alter the cork

The reel pictured is not really a "vintage" Hardy. A true vintage would be one of the Lightweight series with the two screw nickel silver line guard. I paid $25 for my first Hardy LRH. The extra spool was a whopping $7. Now I believe they are manufactured in Japan and are a bit over $200.
Actually it totally is.

The double screw line guard is just more sought after, but I have no doubt that reel is likely as old as the rod he would place it on. Which is a vintage Fenwick.

Regardless, I was just pointing out before that the reel would probably be a good match for the rod, not so much referring or caring about a particular point in time.

Last edited:
Actually it totally is.

The double screw line guard is just more sought after, but I have no doubt that reel is likely as old as the rod he would place it on. Which is a vintage Fenwick.

Regardless, I was just pointing out before that the reel would probably be a good match for the rod, not so much referring or caring about a particular point in time.
We have differing concepts of "vintage". The single screw line guard is still available on new Hardy reels.

My martins fit my 6' fenwick and my 5'2" Fenwick, sounds like your hood is damaged.

Martin
20230325 121247

All these fit, chinese, ocean city 76, orvis battenkill III, heddon

Attachments

• 20230325_121422.jpg
    20230325_121422.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230325_121346.jpg
    20230325_121346.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230325_121504.jpg
    20230325_121504.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230325_121318.jpg
    20230325_121318.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 10
We have differing concepts of "vintage". The single screw line guard is still available on new Hardy reels.
Right but it was also on reels in the 70's.

Hardys dual screw to single screw line guard date transitions:

Two screw transition to single screw: 1972
Lightweight-series multipliers: 1973-1980
Lightweight-series silent/checks: approximately, 1962-80

Have you listened to an oldies station lately?

All these fit, chinese, ocean city 76, orvis battenkill III, heddon
All of those reels look great on that rod! Especially, the Heddon. However, your rod looks different than mine. My rod is like the one sixfootfenwick referred me to in his #20 post. Taking me to a Fiberglass Flyrodders thread. Look at post #15, that’s what my rod looks like. The reel seat is similar to yours but, not the same.
Nothing is damaged, it is just very narrow where the reel fits in at the butt.
Also, if your read the entire thread on that Fiberglass forum, someone mentions when you open the rod tube it smells like Limburger cheese. Mine reeks of the same thing and really bad. I too tried washing the bag and it didn’t help.
Crazy!

Right but it was also on reels in the 70's.

Hardys dual screw to single screw line guard date transitions:

Two screw transition to single screw: 1972
Lightweight-series multipliers: 1973-1980
Lightweight-series silent/checks: approximately, 1962-80

Have you listened to an oldies station lately?
I bought all of my Hardy two screw line guard reels between 1965 and 1969. A Flyweight, Featherweight, two LRH, two Princess, one St. Aidan.

Hmm, yes, I listen to Sirius Radio the '50's all the time.

The sliding band on the corked reel seat, will slide over the Martin 60’s series tuna cans.
But, is too wide to fit into the fixed end at the butt. It has to be pretty narrow.
Thanks, for some input

About 2000 years ago I owned a first generation HMG except it was the GFF-755.

FWIW - I am almost positive I pared it with a first generation CFO III with a stated weight of around 3.0 oz.

I can't recall how it balanced but I don't remember any issues with the reel foot not fitting.

I sold the rod eons ago but I still have the reel so if you want me to measure the foot, just ask...

And NO, the reel isn't for sale. ;)

Last edited:
I bought all of my Hardy two screw line guard reels between 1965 and 1969. A Flyweight, Featherweight, two LRH, two Princess, one St. Aidan.

Hmm, yes, I listen to Sirius Radio the '50's all the time.
No regular radio FM and AM, not Sirius Radio, the oldies station is now playing 70s music and in some cases newer.

It's 2023.

The general understanding across I wide range of products is that 50 years or older is vintage and 100 years or older is antique. Fly fishing is not immune or separate from this consideration. It can simply be seen when perusing vintage tackle dealer websites. 70's equipment for all intensive purposes is vintage 🤷.

That said, I cannot answer for your dates, as my date info came from the classicflyrodforum and a thread on this very subject.

Either way , the reel in the picture certainly is vintage, 1 screw not disqualifying it in any manner.

"According to some help I received earlier on the Forum regarding the line guards on Lightweight series reels, the first reel catalogued showing the 2 screw guard was the Flyweight in 1961. The same catalogue showed the Featherweight with an L shaped guard still. The first 2 screw Featherweight in a Hardy catalogue was shown in 1965, although it is likely this model was offered with the 2 screw guard even before this. The switch to a single screw guard occurred in 1972.

So it seems the 2 screw guard Featherweight was in production from 1965 or a bit previous until 1971 or 1972, totally perhaps 7 to 9 years or thereabouts. And the 2 screw Flyweight for 10 or 11 years"

As just one of many examples on that forum.

Last edited:
Quite frankly, the term "vintage" like the word "iconic" are thrown around pretty liberally these days, especially where 2nd hand stuff is peddled... ;)

It should be noted that casting competition participants highly covet the early Fenwick GFF gray with green whipping rods. They are considered one of the most accurate fly rods ever made. They use them in the accuracy portion of competition.

They should not be confused with the brown or amber models or their second generation.

Funny enough, these 1st generation graphite models came out 1 year before Orvis started making graphite. These rods have a slightly stiffer tip than vintage rods of the same material and era. J Green was an excellent rod designer.
The funny part is, 50 years later, casting competitors recognize their great design and accuracy.

This is another example of newer not always being better.

Quite frankly, the term "vintage" like the word "iconic" are thrown around pretty liberally these days, especially where 2nd hand stuff is peddled... ;)
True and there is a lot of words thrown around liberally these days. I would even say liberal is thrown around liberally and those that forced their way into that mix, probably throw most of the words that are thrown around.
🤷

That's why I like clear definitions.
50 years or older, vintage.

Though you can say, "Oh Doc Martins!that's vintage 90's there" and still get away with it.

It's because vintage can refer to a point in time rather than age.

Last edited:
Back