Vintage Eagle Claw Model Ec-10 fly reel

F

Fly5

I recently bought this fly reel at a flea market. It is in very good condition. I was planning on putting it on a Eagle Claw 6 1/2 ft Featherweight. It balances nicely. However, I can’t remove the spool from the reel. That small release lever moves easily but , it won’t budge. It is currently in right hand retrieve, I think I can change it to left retrieve. I wanted to inspect the inside anyway.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If this is the brown and gold model it is a Hardy knock off and is reversible to left hand retrieve by engaging the pawl on the other side and disengaging the other. As to removal of the spool, try soaking in hot soapy water for 20 minutes. If still no go remove the latch cover to get a better idea what is going on. Do this with caution regarding small parts getting lost.

I’m not sure what the finish on the reel is, but you might want to soak it in kerosene over night. If it is a painted finish it might remove or blister the finish. Be sure to thoroughly wash it before putt the fly line again.

If this is the brown and gold model it is a Hardy knock off and is reversible to left hand retrieve by engaging the pawl on the other side and disengaging the other. As to removal of the spool, try soaking in hot soapy water for 20 minutes. If still no go remove the latch cover to get a better idea what is going on. Do this with caution regarding small parts getting lost.
Yes, it is the brown and gold model. That is a great suggestion with the hot soapy water! Thanks also, for confirming the retrieve change!
I’ll try that later today and post my results.

I’m not sure what the finish on the reel is, but you might want to soak it in kerosene over night. If it is a painted finish it might remove or blister the finish. Be sure to thoroughly wash it before putt the fly line again.
never soak a reel in kerosene

Soak for 15 to 20 minutes in a DILUTE solution of vinegar and warm water. About 4 to 1 mix of water to vinegar. This should soften and loosen up the old congealed grease which may be holding the spool onto the shaft.
When you remove the two screws holding the latch cover, do it in a shoe box. There is a small wire spring in there which might fly when you pull the cap off.
These are nice reels which were made by Daiwa.

Correction. I see that the Eagle Claw version has a plunger style spool release. In which case there is a small coil spring under the cap rather than a wire spring. Same caution applies. Work in a box when removing cap to prevent a flying spring.

Well, I soaked the reel in hot soapy (Dawn dish soap) water for about a half hour.
I tried removing the spool and it came right off. Cleaned everything throughly,
lubricated and good to go. I have to switch over to left hand retrieve yet.
Thanks for all your replies, I appreciate it!!

Didn't know that trick. Have an old Hardy that hasn't been used in years.... might need to try the soaker

I have this reel and I also bought it at a flea market. Mine is in mint and still has the sticker on it.

You are going to love this reel for the application you purchased it for. I use mine on a few Fenwick's I fish.

My kid just stopped using the brown and gold EC-11 reel I slapped on an old rod for him to learn on. Now it sits on my fireplace with a bunch of other old reels. The other reel he just grew out of was an old H&I. Both still worked just fine. Now he can't believe I made him use that old vintage stuff to learn. :ROFLMAO:

I'll tell you, some of the old vintage stuff is just better IMO.
Orvis CFO reels are good example. I don't know what the very latest line is like, but the ones just before them sure didn't compare to the made in England or Hardy built ones.

Frankly I'd prefer a Hardy Clone like the EC10 to to a bunch of modern reels provided it's purpose is for small wild trout with maybe an occasional larger fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: CRB
I'll tell you, some of the old vintage stuff is just better IMO.
Orvis CFO reels are good example. I don't know what the very latest line is like, but the ones just before them sure didn't compare to the made in England or Hardy built ones.

Frankly I'd prefer a Hardy Clone like the EC10 to to a bunch of modern reels provided it's purpose is for small wild trout with maybe an occasional larger fish.

I agree, some of those vintage reels work just fine. Especially, like you said for small wild trout on smaller water.

sixfootfenwick, I have a Fenwick HMG GFF704, 1 7/8 oz. Cork reel seat with band. I’ve had it for awhile and can’t find a reel that will work. Considering, the reel needs to be fairly light and the reel foot also needs to be narrow and thin, for the band to slide on. Any thoughts?

I agree, some of those vintage reels work just fine. Especially, like you said for small wild trout on smaller water.

sixfootfenwick, I have a Fenwick HMG GFF704, 1 7/8 oz. Cork reel seat with band. I’ve had it for awhile and can’t find a reel that will work. Considering, the reel needs to be fairly light and the reel foot also needs to be narrow and thin, for the band to slide on. Any thoughts?
tuna can, martin reel.

tuna can, martin reel.
The sliding band on the corked reel seat, will slide over the Martin 60’s series tuna cans.
But, is too wide to fit into the fixed end at the butt. It has to be pretty narrow.
Thanks, for some input

Well to me, a Hardy featherweight would probably be a great real for it,

If that groove doesn't fit in the cork enough for the band to slide over, I'd try sanding the foot on one side, Lord knows I've modified equipment before for my purposes and probably would again.

Last edited:

Is it like the rod in post #15?

If it is, I could post here and get an answer for you for certain. These guys will know, I'm sure there is a cheaper option than a Hardy Featherweight

Back