Vibram sole wading boot

http://www.solespikes.com/fishing/

It's all the rage out west.
$20 for 30 spikes is a bit steep.

i have a pair of the simms riprap shoes. by themselves the soles are horrible on anything but the hike in and out. so i studded them with the simms studs, that made things much better, but lost studs like they were going out of style. i then upgraded to the simms triangle tungsten or carbide dealies. i've been very happy with them and only lost one in about two summers now.
just today i received my pack of 250 kold cutters. i'm going to leave the simms cleats in and fill in with the KKs. the cleats only came in a 10 or 12 pack. while they work great, there is plenty of shoe with no coverage, and i have found those spots a few times.

http://www.solespikes.com/fishing/

It's all the rage out west.
$20 for 30 spikes is a bit steep.

they look like a competitor to kold kutters...that somebody is putting a crazy mark up on.

I have and have HAD the Simms Vibram, I think it's called "IDROGRIP"soles. Compared to LL Bean's 5.10 Aquastealth soles, they are slippery death. But please, buy them if you want. Lots of people do and, as listed here, many seem to like them. I have waded the Allegheny and Oil Creek in them and, ooff! This coupled with a bad right hip made for really dicey wading. I use them for steelhead because those rocks aren't slippery. There is no rubber sole that I have experienced that is as good as Aquastealth. I saw Orvis is getting a new rubber sole material and a BOA lace. I''m in the market for that. I won't get my hip replaced until July. Bending and reaching to lace boots in waders is nearing an impossibility.

studded felt soles and a wading stick for me. Added the wading stick, a piece of a birch branch, after I fell and ripped my knee open. For a few months afterward it hurt like hell. The stick makes me feel invincible again.

I'm tired of falling in. I am out almost daily and often, at this time of year, after dark.

So I only fell on my butt once last night...snow at edge of water. My soles are wore smooth and my cheapo sheet metal screws are completely worn away.

So I will consider ordering Kold Kutters. I have been wearing the Bass Pro exclusive Simms Blackfoot boots for several seasons, 2 pairs over roughly 4 years ($99 bucks a pair). These are great for the price, but I am considering an upgrade.

So all you bargain hunters...where can I find the best current deals on Simms Boots that are suitable for heavy usage?!?

2 pairs at $99 a pair is $200 for 4 years of service. I'll guess a $190 pair would have lasted 6+ years. I responded to your pm

I will venture that the more expensive boot sole will wear out just as fast...

It is only money

That's not necessarily true, but I would agree price is a poor predictor of longevity.

Regarding soles only, generally, the softer the rubber, the grippier it is, and the quicker it'll wear out. Vibram, for instance, is a soft rubber and will have better grip than many harder rubbers. But the tread will wear down sooner.

You can alleviate somewhat by making a thicker tread. But that makes it taller, and typically harder to walk in.

So, when you pay a lot of money, are you paying for grip, or longevity? You can probably do either. But it's real hard to get both from the same boot.

pcray1231 wrote:
That's not necessarily true, but I would agree price is a poor predictor of longevity.

Regarding soles only, generally, the softer the rubber, the grippier it is, and the quicker it'll wear out. Vibram, for instance, is a soft rubber and will have better grip than many harder rubbers. But the tread will wear down sooner.

You can alleviate somewhat by making a thicker tread. But that makes it taller, and typically harder to walk in.

So, when you pay a lot of money, are you paying for grip, or longevity? You can probably do either. But it's real hard to get both from the same boot.

Vibram is a manufacturer of soles (all different kinds and types of rubber), so you can't really say that Vibram soles will wear out quicker. It all depends on which Vibram sole the boots have. I have a pair of Chacos Zoggonits shoes on now - Vibram sole. The sole composition is quite different than a pair of Patagonia shoes I have, which have a Vibram-branded EcoTread (some sort of recycled car tire rubber blend), and I have a pair of Orvis boots (can't remember the name), which yet another Vibram sole. But you're absolutely correct - there are trade-offs when you try to optimize one feature or another.

It's kind of like the old maxim that you can pick two out of three options, but you can't have all three options or at least have them all function well.

My Korkers Aquastealth soles (their Omnitrax v1 release) had the best grip of any rubber soles I've owned. It's all been downhill since then (sometimes literally, as I fall on my can..).

It's kind of like the old maxim that you can pick two out of three options, but you can't have all three options or at least have them all function well.

We use that all the time at work. You want it done good, fast, or cheap? Pick any 2.

As a materials engineer, I'm used to trade-offs. In steels, strength, ductility, toughness, corrosion resistance, wear resistance, fatigue, high temperature properties, etc, etc. etc. So many come in and want high properties in every test, failing to understand trade offs. We have a name for this alloy. Unobtanium. It's our most commonly requested grade.

For instance, on the fundamental trade-off between strength and ductility in metal, I tell customers to picture a see-saw. You can improve one at the expense of the other. Even in the same exact lot of steel, just by varying the heat treatment. If you want it at higher strength, you're going to lose ductility.

I can't change that. It's physics. And you tell me how you want it optimized. That's our options here and now. But over time, we can and do can make across the board improvements. They don't negate trade-offs, you still have a see-saw. But with a higher fulcrum.

While yes, Vibram is a brand name which has various rubber compounds (and various tread patterns), my general experience with Vibram branded soles is that it's a softer, grippier rubber that wears pretty quick, when compared to other soles. YMMV.

IMO the major difference between higher end simms boots and others is the support- mostly the sole, but also in the ankle.
That's what really sets them apart. But that's my feet.

Back