Vibram sole wading boot

Anyone want to buy a pair of G4 guide boots in size 10? Worn maybe a dozen times.

Tom,
Never have to worry about snow build up on felts if you stay inside and wait for fishable weather. :-D

I bought a pair of the Simm's boots with Vibram soles about 2 years ago when my studded felt boots had seen better days. I added 8 star cleats to each boot in a pattern that made sense to me. IMHO nothing can beat studded felt for overall stability and safety in the kind of fishing that I do in streams and rivers. Needless to say, I have been frustrated by the new product. Obviously, a big factor is the kind of bottom you find in the stream. In streams with a lot a flat stones like slate or a gravel bottom, the boots seem to work fine. But, in a stream full of round cobble stones or bowling balls, they are not good. If you can place you foot on a relatively flat surface, the cleats will tend to bite in. But, invariably, I will put my weight on the outside edge of the sole where there is no cleats as I step onto a slippery, angled rock and it isn't pretty.

I have a pair of Simms Headwaters boots with Vibram rubber sole. Installed the expensive star cleats with the impregnated bits of metal. I thinkk they provide great traction in most settings. I'm careful on flat wet surfaces but I would be with felt too. My only complaint is when I replaced some of the worn cleats I put the new ones back in the original holes. Lost a couple that way. If you need to replace any cleats with the self tapping variety, use different holes in the sole.

I've gotten excellent wear out of these boots and will replace thenm with an identical pair or other Simms model when they time comes.

Judging from feedback, crossing Penns or littlie J in these soles...at a high flow...is a death sentence for the careless. I got the SS DaveS stuck in the Yough 2 weeks ago and almost went swimming when I stepped out. I did go neck deep during the Catskill Jam in October. Not a fan and may switch to Chota or someone making studded felts

You could argue crossing Penns or the LJR at HIGH flow is a bad idea nomatter what's on your feet. I guess it depends what you mean by high.

Generally, speaking, while neither of these streams should be described as "easy wading", neither rank up there as real bad, either. And the main problem is depth and current, rather than bottom structure. I've worn my Simms in both waterways with no real problems. Crossing was an adventure even in typical flows, but it always was with felt too.

The Lehigh, and some smaller, bouldery brookie streams is where I've missed felt. And Erie (though felt solves one problem, but adds another there with snow and ice).

I just bought the Simms Vibram boots because I just didn't like the Orvis boots I have had for 3 years. The Orvis boots just didn't fit well and I could never get them tied tight enough. The Simms were great right out of the box. I really like this boot and sole a lot. I have had some wading issues but they have been more my fault that the boots.
I agree that the studs are expensive so I never bought them but I will look into the studs that some of the others are using.
I also looked at Chota's too. I have a old pair of Chota felts that are still functional but the new boots didn't fit as well as the Simms.

I've always been a fan of Chota. I think they're a bit wider, which makes them fit my duck feet a bit better, and makes on/off go easier. I have not tried their rubber soled ones, though, and have no input there.

My Simms are better build quality, just a more solid "boot". That has it's ups and downs.

I got a lot of use out of the Chota studded felts before I switched to rubber soles. Chota makes a quality wading shoe.

At the risk of being labeled as a complainer, I'll weigh in on the Chota as well. The Chota felt sole boots with the replaceable sheet metal screw studs really bite into the rocks when brand new. The problem is that the screws wear down very fast, like in just a few trips. After that, they are so rounded off that it is like being on ice skates. Very dangerous. Now, maybe with a better quality stud, these would perform well.

I'm also no fan of the replaceable sheet metal screw studs. They don't bite as hard as the old fashioned carbide tipped studs IMO. And they certainly do wear down fast, and are quite treacherous then.

A few years back now, I developed pain in my heels while walking - and was diagnosed with what's called plantar fasciaitis. (sp)
And have found wading with any studded boot to be rather uncomfortable.
So, I've recently gone back to wearing just plain old felt soles again. And hope that PA doesn't outlaw them

#1. With the chota's, you could put whatever studs you wanted in, and they sold carbide studs for them.

#2. While I agree with you about the disadvantages of the sheet metal screws, the whole purpose was how cheap and easily replacable they were. The idea was to replace them when they wore out, yes, even after a few outings.

I ended up going with the sims freestone, I was prepared to spend more but it turns out the more expensive the boot, the more support (aka felt like a ski boot to me.) I hike too much to have that.

I have no problem with the way the tungsten star studs grip.

FYI: The simms guide boot is on clearance at a few shops. I guess they are changing it soon. The flyshack has them for 149.00, That's 50.00 off. I picked up a pair even though I have an unused pair of riversheds in my basement. As the old saying goes: they will never go bad and prices rarely go down.

....or buy the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws

http://koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22
Sounds like an effective tried & tested option .....

http://theflysyndicate.blogspot.com/2012/07/product-reviews-wading-boot-studs-cleats.html

springer1 wrote:
....or buy the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws

http://koldkutter.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_22
Sounds like an effective tried & tested option .....

http://theflysyndicate.blogspot.com/2012/07/product-reviews-wading-boot-studs-cleats.html

I just ordered the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws yesterday. When I get them, I will have enough to redo my Chotas and put them in my new Simms boots too.
Thanks for all the info.

Bill

My Kold Kutters arrived yesterday, so this morning I put them in my Simms boots. I put 11 of them in each boot. I will have to take them for a test this week.

I bought a huge sack of the 3/8" Kold Kutter screws a couple years ago and have installed them in 3 or 4 pairs of my boots as well as giving them to a lot of other people. IMO they have a better "grip" than the Simms tung carbide studs (the single ones, not the star ones as I have not tried them). To my knowledge I have not lost any of the Kold Kutters. The Simms got rounded rather quickly and became slick.

Andy, if you want some of them I still have a sack of them.

I went fishing yesterday and the Kold Kutters were great. You can really feel them bite as you wade. I am going to refit my other boots.

whheff wrote:
I went fishing yesterday and the Kold Kutters were great. You can really feel them bite as you wade. I am going to refit my other boots.

You would be a great salesman, Bill. You definitely sold me. I guess I'll be getting some of those Kold Kutters before next season. There has been a lot of good information provided on this thread.

Thanks for the feedback Bill. I ordered some this past weekend.

Back