VENTING!

O

outsider

I've held off of this far too long. We call them the vultures, and here is a typical scenario:

The first stocking point on the Tully today was at Rebers Bridge. So, able bodied young men are putting on their waders. I ask them if they are going to help stock. "no, we're here to fish". A typical number of them being about 8. So they wait in the water while a few of us carry buckets and load the float stocking barrels so they can catch them. And apparently they didn't notice that some of us are older men. Happens a lot at the stocking points on the Tully.

outsider wrote:
A typical number of them being about 8. So they wait in the water while a few of us carry buckets and load the float stocking barrels so they can catch them.

Happens every time the Neshannock DHALO is stocked too.

Freakin' losers.

The older men should let the young bucks help. Hogging all the float stocking barrels. Real classy.

I’m helping with a stocking on Wednesday. Hopefully there’s plenty of buckets for everyone.

Swattie87 wrote:
The old men should let the young bucks help. Hogging all the float stocking barrels. Real classy.

I’m helping with a stocking on Wednesday. Hopefully there’s plenty of buckets for everyone.

Swattie:

I don't get your post. We had two 18 olds, one 28 year old, and two men in their 60's (me being one of them) float stocking. A few young men and a few old guys carrying the buckets. And the young men who float stocked also carried buckets, including my son who was discharged 2 weeks ago from the hospital after being in the trauma center for almost 7 weeks. Please explain. And if you or anyone else thinks float stocking the Tully is a cakewalk, you are mistaken. It is a large stream with many trip points. Join us and see.

It was an ill-timed, and poorly received joke.

I agree with your points in your OP 100%. If you are there to fish when the stocking is done, and are physically able to help, you should. I don’t fish the Tully much. But when I do, I usually fall, so I don’t need to help stock it to know it’s not easy work. Sorry if I my attempt at funny landed on insensitive instead.

The stream I help stock annually as part of the camp I belong to isn’t open yet when we stock. There’s typically a half dozen or so guys helping, most are in their 60’s probably, with a couple of second generation guys in their 30’s. There’s also usually a dozen or more vehicles following along just stopping to see what holes we toss em’ in to. People just stay in their vehicles and stop and throw their 4 ways on when the truck stops. It creates a bit of a dangerous traffic situation on a 2 lane, paved mountain road. Maybe they all have handicap plates and I’m being a jerk again. I’ll look closer this year.

one year we did it with 4 guys, with loads of onlookers,experts and coaching from the sidelines. I remember being on my tiptoes with water coming in at the 1st deflector, there was a very deep hole there.

Common decency would dictate that if you're available and able, you help stock. However, common decency is slim these past few years and has been replaced by entitlement. It's nothing new. The same thing happened 10-15 years ago when I helped stock the streams I fished back then. A trail of 15 vehicles. And three people carried the buckets. Someone has to be a really bad fisherperson to have to track where stocked trout are placed! Or hang around until the stocking truck unloads in front of them. Thankfully, the fish tend to get lockjaw for a bit after they are dumped in..

Sorry Swattie,

I took your post the wrong way. Some people don't realize there are several places in the Tully DH that could swallow you up. One place is between the first and second deflector. I don't know how deep it actually is, but I am certain it is over my head at 150 cfs.

I have many recollections of stocking with plenty of people yet no one to help. Face it, people can be a$$holes, and some seize the opportunity.

When I was a young man I always helped float Stony Creek. Many times I took a float box by myself despite a full parking lot at Ellendale. Five miles back in and guys are waiting at the holes for me to dump fish in for them. I gave them some to fish for - all the small ones. Others under the guise of helping would dump a float box in a hole and go back to fill their creels. Fortunately the WCO found out about it and they received a summons. And this was back in the day of the 'week of' stockings, but everyone knew what day it was anyway.

To quote Charles Schultz's Linus "I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

flybugpa wrote:
one year we did it with 4 guys, with loads of onlookers,experts and coaching from the sidelines. I remember being on my tiptoes with water coming in at the 1st deflector, there was a very deep hole there.

A month or so ago I did this with one other person; an 18 year old with no stocking experience and no studs or felt on his soles, and the flow was 210 cfs. That was an extreme, as we each had a barrel of fish to handle. OK, so I am whining, it's been a long day.

Someone above mentioned stocking the Neshannock Creek. A fellow from New Castle was a regular for years helping stock trout in Lawrence county. Last spring he was helping stock the Neshannock creek downstream from the DHALO. They were stocking along a rocky shoreline and this gentleman, who was 73, slipped on a streamside rock that became wet as they carried buckets and he hit his head on an adjacent rock. It took a long time for his campanions to get the bleeding stopped. He never recovered and passed 4 months later. I would usually see him at one particular hole and I was disappointed I didn’t run into him last season. I never knew his fate until the obit was in the newspaper. So be careful in anything you do.

I would of had a field day busting their chops if I would have seen that.

A few years back I float stocked the upper section of the Tully by myself because no one else had chest waders. I can tell you when I got down to Reber's Bridge I was exhausted. stocking the Tully is definitely not an easy task. But I am thankful for those who give their time to do it. I have a hard time getting off work to help but I think next year I will definitely save a vacation day for that event.

Did you ask the boy's to please help?

There are lots of lazy and stupid people in the world. I see it every day. They are lower on the wheel of life and will keep getting lower. Now, I would have busted their chops for being lazy. Call them out.

Once when we were stocking the lot at one stocking point was entirely filled with someone even blocking the trail to the river. The stocking truck just kept going down the road and didn't stop. We got a lot of flack for that, but people have to leave some room for the truck. There were years when we got weekly complaints from one guy who claimed to count the fish and said we never put the exact amount in each spot. Talk to the fisheries staff that allocate the fish and they have many stories to tell.

We also have a line of truck followers every time, which is funny since we basically put the same number of fish at the same spots. One follow would seem to be enough. Some of the followers do help, and find it kind of fun.

The last usual complaint is about flinging the trout out or dropping them off a bridge and that the poor fish will be hurt. People want us to gently ease them into the stream. The flinging actually gets them moving right away, which one sees when one stocks. Plus, the hatchery didn't raise the fish to kill them at stocking.

Stocking often is a circus and you just have to roll with it.

Next time just ask them if they want you to leave the fish on the ground next to them.

But.... isn't this the client base that some in the PFBC want? They pay for licenses and for raising those fish. Hurry up and dump them so I can limit out and then run to a different location to limit out again.

lol

Back