Vehicle Recommendations for fishing

I've been eyeing up the new Toyota Grand Highlanders. That hybrid one of theirs gets like 35 mpg! I'd love more options that were similar to this in the largert size like the Grand Highlander. I was hoping though that with the gate open I could sit on the back and not hit my head but my head still hits the roof at the gate opening. I'm thinking about getting something like this and converting the back half to a sleeping/car camping area. Also would make a decent guide vehicle I'm thinking if I ever decide to go that route!

I've been eyeing up the new Toyota Grand Highlanders. That hybrid one of theirs gets like 35 mpg! I'd love more options that were similar to this in the largert size like the Grand Highlander. I was hoping though that with the gate open I could sit on the back and not hit my head but my head still hits the roof at the gate opening. I'm thinking about getting something like this and converting the back half to a sleeping/car camping area. Also would make a decent guide vehicle I'm thinking if I ever decide to go that route!

I think you’re gonna start to see more and more of this style of vehicle…stretched or XL versions of midsize crossovers that split the gap between midsize and full-size body on frame SUV’s like Tahoe/Yukon/Sequoia/Expedition/etc. I’m pretty sure Jeep released a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee a couple years ago. It’s an attractive package for an all around family car with at least decent dirt/gravel road chops.

Just don’t compare their interior space and price tag to a minivan, unless you’re ok with bringing the minivan home! Still, there’s enough minivan haters out there that these “XL crossovers” will probably sell like hotcakes. You really have to go to full size body on frame to get the same space as a minivan though. And those things are crazy money.

I’m still waiting for troutbert’s post that he wrote a guidebook for PA Trout fishing driving an early 90’s Celica or Civic, or something like that. We should probably all just get a Prius. It would probably get me to 90%+ of the places I fish, honestly. And for the spots it couldn’t, it’s just a longer hike in, which is ok with me. I think they make a stretched, wagon like version of the Prius now right?

I think you’re gonna start to see more and more of this style of vehicle…stretched or XL versions of midsize crossovers that split the gap between midsize and full-size body on frame SUV’s like Tahoe/Yukon/Sequoia/Expedition/etc. I’m pretty sure Jeep released a stretched version of the Grand Cherokee a couple years ago. It’s an attractive package for an all around family car with at least decent dirt/gravel road chops.

Just don’t compare their interior space and price tag to a minivan, unless you’re ok with bringing the minivan home!
I want to see more of these gas hybrid vehicle. To me gas hybrid makes a lot of sense. No one that I know wants the stupid electric plug in crap. I also want to see more of these gas hybrid vehicles geared towards getting better gas mileage instead of most of the manufacturers making them for more power. Power isn't an issue with any vehicle these days.

I want to see more of these gas hybrid vehicle. To me gas hybrid makes a lot of sense. No one that I know wants the stupid electric plug in crap. I also want to see more of these gas hybrid vehicles geared towards getting better gas mileage instead of most of the manufacturers making them for more power. Power isn't an issue with any vehicle these days.

I agree. Since about 1990 or so all the advancements in pure internal combustion engines (ICE) have gone to more power output, as opposed to fuel economy. A Toyota Corolla in the 1990’s gets the same fuel mileage within a couple MPG as a brand new one. The new one has roughly 50% more power though. You can’t tell me that manufacturers couldn’t get pure ICE to get way better fuel economy than they currently do. They could. But it would come with a sacrifice in power, and none of the manufacturers like seeing their vehicle get gapped in comparo tests from all the YouTube car reviewers.

I’d have no problem buying a hybrid at this point, depending on the manufacturer to some degree. And I agree, I’d rather see hybrids focus on fuel economy, as opposed to a means to more power output…looking at you Toyota Tundra. Unless you’re regularly towing 5000 lbs or more, 300 hp/tq is plenty. And if you are, you’re better off and will be happier buying a 3/4 ton diesel. In any case though, a pure electric vehicle is not even a thought for me.

Edit: Until the last several years, vehicles that had hybrid optional engines were marketed as a less powerful, but more economical option, for those that wanted to go that route. More and more now, a hybrid system gets strapped to the biggest, most powerful engine option for a vehicle, and is marketed as the “premium” engine option with more power, but little, if any, gain in fuel economy when you look at the MPG numbers. The manufacturers aren’t dumb…They’re building and marketing to what the majority of consumers want and will sell the best. So I dunno I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Edit 2.0: I recently replaced my 2016 commuter Camry (2.5L 4cyl non-hybrid), with a 3.5L V6 (non-hybrid) 2022 Avalon. Got a crazy opportunity at a deal once they announced they were killing off the Avalon and I jumped on it. They both got 31 mpg on the highway. The Camry was admittedly better around town by a couple MPG, but I have a 180 mile round trip commute (3 days/week) and nearly all of this vehicle’s life is spent on the highway. I’ll admit, and am as guilty as anyone for falling for this…the Avalon is way more satisfying when you press the pedal on the right.

Last edited:
Tom -

It sounds like that Excursion has treated you pretty well over a long period of time. I don’t envy you when you have to fill that tank with diesel these days though. (I had several Super Duty diesel Ford trucks with 38 gal tanks in the past 20 years and am glad I’m not having to fill them up at today’s prices.). I also had a Ford Expedition in the late 1980‘s that I did a lot of fishing/camping in and it was great.

I camped/fished in a couple Ford F150’s that I owned in the past few years. (crew cabs, 4x4, off road, gas engine, 6 1/2’ bed, with cab high Leer truck caps). Those trucks suited my purposes well, but I’m shorter than you, and an 8’ bed (not available on an F150, crew cab) with a higher cap height would have been more ideal to sleep in.

Here’s a picture of my 2012 F150. I also had a 2018 F150 similar to that one that I sold just over a year ago.

View attachment 1641234648

I had planed on getting another comparable Ford F150, and had one on a factory order for nearly a year (from the end of 2022 to the Fall 2023) when there were chip shortages and vehicles weren’t being produced. So, I ended up canceling the order for the truck and buying a new Subaru Outback Wilderness - a BIG change after years of owning full sized trucks.

The Subaru is a great fishing vehicle, but it’s not the best camping vehicle. I’m able to sleep in it, but there’s not a lot of extra space for my fishing gear, cooler, etc. I have a roof rack for it (got a Thule roof top storage box, but never used it and then sold it), also have an ARB canopy/awning for it, and it gets about 27 mpg, etc.

In the past couple months, I’ve been thinking of getting something in between truck size and Subaru Outback size, which would be better for my camping and fishing purposes. So, I presently have orders for a 2024 Land Cruiser and a 2024 Lexus GX 550 0vertrail. I don’t know whether either of these recently introduced vehicles have actually begun to be shipped to US dealers yet, so it might be a year until I’d be able to get one or the other. (I really prefer the Lexus over the Toyota, and plan to buy one, and cancel the order for the other.)

Here’s a picture of the Lexus Overtrail.

View attachment 1641234649
The Land Cruiser only comes in a hybrid, and will get something over 20 mpg, and with just 2 rows of seats, it might suit your purposes. The Lexus on the other hand has a V6 turbo charged engine that requires premium grade gas, and will probably not get 20 mpg overall.
Thanks MT..some vg points;helped me a lot in broadening my horizons as to options

Dear AFISHN,

You don't say if you are looking for a new or used vehicle, so I'd suggest that you look at some of the cargo vans available like the Ford Transit, or the Mercedes Sprinter. I think Nissan and RAM also offer them?

They offer AWD if that is a preference, and you will have plenty of room to outfit the interior into a fishing/camping rig. I have spoken to people who own 24 ft Mercedes Sprinter diesel motorhomes and they have been really pleased with the mileage they get out of them. Even when outfitted as a motorhome with beds, kitchens, bath/showers, and high roofs most people have said they get 20 mpg on the highway.

I met a group of people a couple years ago who went cross country from Oregon to Maine in a long wheelbase AWD Sprinter diesel at Sayers Dam one Fall. The van was outfitted with a kitchen, shower and bathroom and even had satellite TV. It had solar panels and lithium-ion storage batteries so they could go off grid for a couple of days. They told me that for 6000 miles they averaged over 20 mpg.

They had built the rig themselves, expressly for cross-country trips, starting with a bare AWD diesel van. They researched and went with proven gear to outfit it. They had a little over 70K in the build but that was in 2020. You may be able to find a campervan used that will hit all the bases for you?

Me, I'd buy a worn-out 2000 Dodge 2500 long bed quad cab 4wd diesel with a 6 speed and pay to have it rebuilt. I had one with 4:10 rears in it and it averaged 19 mpg on the highway with the old 24valve Cummins 6BT 5.9 liter. The amazing thing was when I took on gravel roads and drove State Forests the mpg went way up. That diesel in 2nd or 3rd gear could simply idle along at 30 mph and burn almost no fuel. I'd get 25 mpg running 200 miles through Bald Eagle or Sproul State Forests on a weekend.

Good luck in your search and report back please!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Tim:I'm concentrating on used at the moment.However,if I can find a used van with just a built in bed(s) and a maybe a tiny kitchen set-up(no need for shower/bathroom),I would be very interested.I will certainly post up my final selections since this group is chuck full of knowledge(besides things FF)

I’m still waiting for troutbert’s post that he wrote a guidebook for PA Trout fishing driving an early 90’s Celica or Civic, or something like that. We should probably all just get a Prius. It would probably get me to 90%+ of the places I fish, honestly. And for the spots it couldn’t, it’s just a longer hike in, which is ok with me. I think they make a stretched, wagon like version of the Prius now right?
Honda Civic. 36 mpg average. I drove it on some very rough forest roads. You have to drive carefully, paying attention. It's an interesting challenge.

Right now I'm driving a Honda Accord. It's not as good on forest roads as the Civic. The ground clearance is probably similar, but it's a mid-size car, so not as nimble as the Civic.

I'd really like to have a Prius, and get it lifted. Priuses get around 50 mpg. The ground clearance is too low, though. A friend of mine had one, and we scraped on a gamelands road that would have been no problem for a Civic.

Many people are installing lift kits that raise Priuses up 1.5 inches. That would work. You have to understand the limitations of these economy cars on forest roads. They are not big pickups. But you can drive them on 90% of the forest road mileage. When the road gets too rough, park it and get out and walk.

I drove thousands of miles on forest roads in economy cars. I once hit a rock and messed up the exhaust pipe, but that was the only real incident.

I forded Babb Creek twice, once in a Toyota Tercel, and once in a Civic. I won't be doing that again though. That was stupid. Don't do it.

You already own the perfect fishing vehicle. Unless there are major issues with It I would keep the excursion and get rid of the Sonic RS, whatever that is. I have a Subaru Outback as well. Outback’s are true 4WD, have the best ground clearance and the boxer engine connects you to the road (great cornering) like no other car outside of a Porsche, that also have boxer engines, Unlike my GMC Sierra 2500 P/U truck, my Outback can carry a fully assembled rod. The GMC is bought and paid for, can tow my boat and one can sleep comfortably inside it, much like your excursion. My Outback has the turbo 4 cylinder and has plenty of speed. It gets 22 MPG highway. MPG is not a concern or factor when I go car shopping. I am not contributing to the next environmental disaster at double the cost so electric is out. nothing wrong with going from one to two great fishing vehicles. I can’t help you with sleeping in a car. Not sure how often that scenario comes up for you but I would think it’s not important enough to spend 50K on a minivan (lol) and then start ripping seats out and building uncomfortable sleeping platforms when you already own what your looking for. You can drive the Outback when you are not spending the night in your vehicle. For the record, minivans are nowhere near cool and there are very good reasons they are just about extinct.

lol. I have an outback, poopdeck said what I would have.

The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.

Another Outback owner here - since 2010. I'm 6'3" and I've slept in it a couple times. Would recommend.

I have had a few Toyota Highlanders that were great fishing vehicles for me. Very comfortable on a 6-hour road trip and if I did not go over 70mph I could get 27mpg out of a tankful.

With all of the plugs for Subaru’s by you guys I think I should pribably post a For Sale ad on here before my wife and I trade our 2 (fantastic) Outbacks in later this year. (Until then you bet I’m going to say nothing but good things about them!)

With all of the plugs for Subaru’s by you guys I think I should pribably post a For Sale ad on here before my wife and I trade our 2 (fantastic) Outbacks in later this year. (Until then you bet I’m going to say nothing but good things about them!)

Nah come on tell us the real pros and cons on the subarus

Had to change a headlight on my wife's 2014 Outback last week, and that was a pretty solid con. What an insanely terrible design.

I’ve never had an easy modern vehicle to change a headlight on. Just too much stuff crammed in there. First gen Chevy Colorado IIRC wasn’t bad. But that had a straight 5, narrow engine, mounted front to back and there was a decent amount of room on the sides to get around.

2007 Honda Ridgeline 4wd here. Best part is the cargo area under the truck bed. Has a drain plug so you can fill that bad boy with ice and beer for a surf fishing expedition at the beach. when the party is over, pull the plug and drain the water. Seriously, I will drive this one until the wheels fall off. It excels at everything I need it to do. Awesome in bad weather and shitty FS roads. Very low maintenance costs, and while I get 21mpg tops, I feel very safe when travelling I-80, I-81, etc. where there lots of accidents. I know that I'm most likely walking away, which is why I won't drive a smaller car or something with a lower profile.

Back