Vehicle Recommendations for fishing

What kind of garage floor is that?
It’s just an epoxy coating with lots of flakes in it, and then with a polyurethane coat over it.

Image0

Last edited:
Aren't Subaru's notorious for blowing head gaskets?
Yeah they are but they fixed that issue somewhere in the mid 20teens.

I put 40-50k miles a year on. On my 4th Subaru.

Brakes at about 100k (but rotors + pads). Wheel bearings 150-200k. Trade em in around 250k when you can still get 10k+ on trade because they start dropping value fast after that.

Subaru cons. ^^^^the headlights, yeah. Changing em sucks. Newer ones are LED but insanely bright, so everyone thinks your high beaming them.

They're not exactly great at mpg, really closer to a mid size pickup than to the rest of the crossover crowd.

There's always a rattle.

True honest AWD means if you have an unfixable flat, you're buying 4 tires, not 1, as all have to be at similar tread depth

The value holding means you aint saving money by buying low mileage used. With factory incentives, it is literally cheaper to buy new than 1-2 years old with 10-40k miles. I was offered more for trade in after 1 year than I had paid, and didnt take it.

The wheel bearings seem to go at 150-200k miles reliably, 1 at a time, and they aint cheap so thats a painful period.

Exhaust heat shield rattles on every single Subaru ever made above 150k. lol.
^You forgot about the head gaskets, water pump, and timing belt. That's a tasty little bill. Been there and done that.

^You forgot about the head gaskets, water pump, and timing belt. That's a tasty little bill. Been there and done that.
Head gasket issue fixed years ago, and they went timing chains across the board, they don't have timing belts and haven't for 15 years.

Never heard of the water pump issue and have over a million miles in subarus.

I said I’m only going to say positive things about Subarus from now until I sell or trade the 2 that my wife and I have now, 😃 so I have to comment on a couple of your points.

1. The LED headlights on newer Subarus are bright, as you say, but are no different from most or all other newer cars and trucks LED headlights these days. I don’t know if it’s the LED headlights or the fact that Subarus sit lower to the ground than many pickup trucks do, but I’m nearly blinded by oncoming pickup truck headlights nearly every day.

2. My wife and I have had 6 Subaru Outback’s in the past 7 or maybe 8 years, all of which have averaged between 25-30 mpg. I’ve never gotten much over 20 mpg on my Ford F150 pickups.

3. The ONLY rattle I’ve ever heard on any of our Subarus has been when my wife leaves an empty can of coke in the door cup holder. 😊

4. My wife has had 2 unrepairable flat ties on her Subarus in the past, when her cars’ mileage was under 30,000 miles (I remember one flat she got about 2 years ago when her car only had 10,000 miles on it), and we only replaced the one bad tire both times. It might be important to change all 4 tires if they have significant wear, but I don’t think it’s necessary to do that otherwise.

5. Today is the the BEST market for buying a new Subaru, compared to buying a good, low mileage, 1-2 year old used one, that I’ve seen in the past 7-8 years. However you decide whether it is cheaper to buy a new one than a 1-2 year old used one. Here are some comparisons:

A new 2024 Subaru Outback Wilderness with an MSRP of about $44,000, can be purchased today for about $41,000, and financed for 48 months at 1.9%. That’s the best incentive and discount that I’ve seen in the past 7-8 years.

A 1-2 year old Subaru 0utback Wilderness with less than 15,000 miles, in like new condition, with $2,000 of added options (not included with the 2024 Outback price) can be purchased today for between $33,000-$35,000.

View attachment 1641234719
I have an 2020 XT (Onyx edition). Yeah thats the turbo but I get 23-24 mpg on average. My dads Chevy colorado gets 23 mpg. My previous outback, a 2016 regular engine, I got 26 mpg combined average.

In 2020 (Covid), I negotiated $29,500k as the sale price, new, 0.0% financing. Again the XT Onyx Edition. I think MSRP was $35kish. Yeah it was a factory order and I had to wait like 8 months for it to come in. But I asked what was on the lot. Sticker prices on used 2018's with like 20k miles were higher than new 2020 prices. And about a year after I got it, with 30k miles, they offered me $33k trade value if I bought a new one. Again sales price was $29k when I bought it, but it was post covid with car shortages and I woulda had to pay MSRP with no financing deal on the new one, so I declined.

I have an 2020 XT (Onyx edition). Yeah thats the turbo but I get 23-24 mpg on average. My dads Chevy colorado gets 23 mpg. My previous outback, a 2016 regular engine, I got 26 mpg combined average.

In 2020 (Covid), I negotiated $29,500k as the sale price, new, 0.0% financing. Again the XT Onyx Edition. I think MSRP was $35kish. Yeah it was a factory order and I had to wait like 8 months for it to come in. But I asked what was on the lot. Sticker prices on used 2018's with like 20k miles were higher than new 2020 prices. And about a year after I got it, with 30k miles, they offered me $33k trade value if I bought a new one. Again sales price was $29k when I bought it, but it was post covid with car shortages and I woulda had to pay MSRP with no financing deal on the new one, so I declined.
I had a 2004 Outback and all of what I say is true for most if not all Outbacks of that era. Still was the best vehicle I ever owned.

I have a red 2019 off road 4Runner. It does well for me and allows great visibility and room. It has a V6 engine under the hood and gets decent gas milage for its overall size. I feel its a safe vehicle and trustworthy if that matters too you. It stays nicely grounded during nasty weather and maintains good control. I like it...

I’ve heard of 10% off MSRP deals on Subarus, but 15% off is exceptional. That could be less than dealer cost.

It is nice to know that I am not the only one around here driving an ancient vehicle.
I drive a 2002 Silverado LS1500 4x4 with 243,000 miles on it. I've owned it for 16 of those years. I have put money into it, but it's all been for wear out items. Idles so smooth/quiet, I get asked if my truck is running. Much to be said for oil changes every 3000 miles.

Last edited:
I drive a 2002 Silverado 1500 4x4 with 243,000 miles on it. I've owned it for 16 of those years. I have put money into it, but it's all been for wear out items.
I had a 2009 Silverado 1500 LTZ with only 60,000 on it. I had a company truck and that kept my miles low on this one. In 2022 we a had a straight line wind with heavy thunderstorms and I looked out my office window and saw a 75 foot oak tree had fallen and crushed it like a tin can. I miss that truck....

It is nice to know that I am not the only one around here driving an ancient vehicle.
Dear jifigz,

My weekend vehicle is a 2006 Lincoln Navigator, it only has 117000 miles on it. It drinks gas like i drink beer, but it's been a good vehicle for me in the 2 years I've owned it. Unless I hit the Lotto it will be run to destruction.

My "daily" driver, i use the word loosely because I am currently working from home, is a 2011 Subaru Outback with 115000 miles on it. It's needed tires and front brakes in the 40000 miles I've driven it, but that's about it. It uses 2 quarts of oil over 5000 miles, but I can deal with that. It's probably averaged 28 mph over all the mileage I've driven it and it has never let me down in any weather on any road. I'll never find another one with a 6-speed stick, so this will also be a run to destruction vehicle.

Even when I was buying brand new vehicles I drove most of them for over 100000 miles before I parted with them. Given what new vehicles cost today I can honestly say that unless I hit the lottery I will never buy a new vehicle.

I had a house in upstate NY with 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, central A/C, a 2 car garage with attached enclosed storage shed, and a stocked pond that had 100% flood free frontage on the Susquehanna River on 6 acres. I moved to PA in 2001. Using my mortgage payment on that house as a measuring stick, I'd need to put well over $ 30000 down on a 3/4 ton 4WD pick up to beat the mortgage payment on the that house.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Subaru cons. ^^^^the headlights, yeah. Changing em sucks. Newer ones are LED but insanely bright, so everyone thinks your high beaming them.

They're not exactly great at mpg, really closer to a mid size pickup than to the rest of the crossover crowd.

There's always a rattle.

True honest AWD means if you have an unfixable flat, you're buying 4 tires, not 1, as all have to be at similar tread depth

The value holding means you aint saving money by buying low mileage used. With factory incentives, it is literally cheaper to buy new than 1-2 years old with 10-40k miles. I was offered more for trade in after 1 year than I had paid, and didnt take it.

The wheel bearings seem to go at 150-200k miles reliably, 1 at a time, and they aint cheap so thats a painful period.

Exhaust heat shield rattles on every single Subaru ever made above 150k. lol.
Yes, I have recently noticed that rattle in my 2017 Outback. Headlights burn out quickly also. I still love the vehicle. I get 29 MPG.

I put my deposit down on January 27 at the Bobby Rahal Lexus dealership in Lancaster.

Their GM told me at that time that I was the 70+ customer of theirs who had placed an order for the GX550, but he didn’t tell me (nor did I ask) an estimated allocation date. I also don’t know if that 70 number was for all 3 of the Rahal dealerships (including Mechanicsburg and Lewistown) or just the Lancaster dealership. I believe he told me that just 6% or so of their customer orders were for the Overtrail and Overtrail+ models though, but I don’t know how that might effect when I could expect to see one. In any case, I’m not holding my breath waiting for it.
So I kind of got the opposite from a dealership in WNY. I was told 9 months but not really told what number I was on the list. When I asked I was told "I think around 30". I don't really need a vehicle that bad and I kind of hope I find something I like for a lot less $$ before my time comes. I ordered OT as well, but was told the way it works is that when one comes in #1 on list gets first shot regardless of the trim. If #1 does not want that specific vehicle it goes to #2 and #1 keeps their spot and so on.

My GMC Sierra 2500 HD is a 2003. It has 64K miles. It’s currently in the shop getting a new steering box after I noticed a drip in my driveway. Can’t have that.

Fortunately have gotten 250k+ miles from my past 3 vehicles with minimal repairs (all bought used with about 20k miles on them). Unfortunately, I've had none of those 3 vehicles for longer than 5 years.

I hate buying vehicles, I'm honestly envious of someone with a 21 year old vehicle with 64k miles on it.

My GMC Sierra 2500 HD is a 2003. It has 64K miles. It’s currently in the shop getting a new steering box after I noticed a drip in my driveway. Can’t have that.
Dear poopdeck,

Maybe if you ran it enough to keep the fluid circulating in the power steering box you wouldn't have that problem?

My background is in heavy equipment. It's common knowledge that it is definitely better to use something, rather than just let it sit, and then expect it go. Where I work we "exercise" every machine in the yard every month, and we probably store well over $ 500 million worth of heavy machinery.

Regards,

Dear poopdeck,

Maybe if you ran it enough to keep the fluid circulating in the power steering box you wouldn't have that problem?

My background is in heavy equipment. It's common knowledge that it is definitely better to use something, rather than just let it sit, and then expect it go. Where I work we "exercise" every machine in the yard every month, and we probably store well over $ 500 million worth of heavy machinery.

Regards,

Correct you are. I use It to tow my boat otherwise it sits in the driveway. it goes to the shop every winter for a check up and to fix what might lead to a breakdown. It’s in impeccable condition inside, outside and mechanically. My Subaru is a 2021 and already has 6K miles on it and I also have a 2014 Murano with 44k.

Back