Valley creek construction

J

JohnPowers

Can't tell much from the park website. Early for fishing for me but I'm wondering if the covered bridge area is still a depressing construction site. We'll be in the park walking the dog and would swing by there but not if there's a mile of big pipe running down the road. I always tell my wife how special the creek is but the last time I was there it was a disaster.

From the Valley Forge NHP Construction Projects page:

Yellow Springs Road from Route 252 (Valley Creek Road) to Wilson Road, including the Knox Covered Bridge is open The Wilson Road Parking Lot will remain open throughout construction. Access to Library Lane and the Philander Chase Knox House will remain open throughout construction.

Some restoration still needs to take place, such as replacing gravel, fixing and seeding eroded areas, replacing damaged trees, replacing riparian buffers, and others. Tredyffrin Township’s general contractor will complete these when good weather returns. Please let us know if you spot anything else that concerns you.

Tredyffrin Township owns and operates the Wilson Road Force Main, a sanitary sewer pipeline that runs for 3.6 miles through Valley Forge NHP. The pipe parallels Valley Creek and the Schuylkill River. Although the pipe runs through the park, it serves the residents of six municipalities upstream of the park. The 40-year old pipe has failed three times recently, releasing as much as 18 million gallons of untreated sewage into the creek and river.

As a result of a consent decree with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the township is working on a major rehabilitation project to reline the force main.

For additional up-to-date information on the force main project, please visit the Tredyffrin Township webpage.

Thanks. I saw that I'd like to hear from someone whose been on site recently that it's back to normal.

I was there about two weeks ago and it's looking much better. Enjoy your walk.

It's definitely looking better than it was. Fished the section above the covered bridge about a month and a half ago- caught 3 on red als rats.

i fished it last weekend, it is much better now that the pipe is gone and the bridge is open

Great. Thanks. Als rat...ugh....who can see the darn things....or am I just old?

Solution:use Al'sRat as a nymph. Works well and problem solved.

Haha JohnPowers- they are tiny little flies but I fortunately don't have an issue with them, they catch fish! A great suggestive imitation of tons of bugs and a breeze to tie.

Back