Valley Creek Browns

W

Wmass

Cuaght these guys the past few days. Water was flowing a little low, but cold in the low-mid 60's.

Another brown, from the water view just before being released.

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I sometimes feel guilty for fishing during warm weather but the water temp at Valley Creek are typically cool and the fish have not acted/appeared stressed the last few times I have tried to fish there.

that second one is a nice one! all good fish. yes, thanks for sharing. dont worry about fishing now! just watch the temps, and the fish will be ok. good job! :-D

Nice pics !!! What are flies are they taking this time of year ?

All these fish were caught on dry flies. The smaller ones were caught on CDC caddis adults or CDC caddis emergers. The larger darker fish was caught on a size 16 irresistable. And I got several on 18 stimulators in various colors.

know any good recipes for scud patterns that you wouldn't mind posting?

thanks

I tie mine as follows:

14 or 16 heavy wire scud hook

Tie a length of mono and a strip of scud back (you can get it at your local fly shop. It's basically a clear thin strip of rubbery stuff) in at the bend, facing back.

Dub it with some real bushy olive or gray dubbing. I use "sowscud". Again, check your local fly shop. (I got mine at FFP).

I use a dubbing loop for maximum bushiness, and dub ahead to the eye. Tie the dubbing loop off and then pull the scud back forward and tie off to make the shell back of the fly. Then rib it with the mono and tie that off.

Pick the dubbing out along the bottom for legs.

EDIT:
Kinda like this:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/110705fotw.html

Tie mine pretty mich the same way, but I will vary the "shell" and ribbing from time to time. Sometimes if I want a flashy scud, I'll use pearlescent mylar for the shell, and silver wire for ribbing. Most times I use black wire for ribbing, and sometimes copper.

You know of all the times I have fished Valley, I do not think I have ever fished a scud pattern specificially. I guess though that some of the subsurface patterns I have fished tend to look like scuds.

VC regular wrote: You know of all the times I have fished Valley, I do not think I have ever fished a scud pattern specificially. I guess though that some of the subsurface patterns I have fished tend to look like scuds.

I use a Hares ear successfully at Valley, and everywhere else for that matter. I tie it on a scud hook with no wingcase. No one really knows what the fish think, but it looks to me a lot like a scud, mayfly nymph, caddis pupa, or a small stonefly nymph. I believe that's why it works so well. It doesn't look exactly like anything, but suggests a lot of different things that trout like to eat.

VC, I know you know this, (your name in Valley Creek Regular!)but make no mistake about it, turn over a few rocks and you will find scuds at Valley.

I use the same type of fly at Valley afishinado. I just take a scud hook, wrap some hares ear dubbing around it and thats it. Got some in grey, brown, tan, green, black, and pink. I'll typically tie up a scud on top and one of those on the bottom. If the fish are leaning more to one over the other I'll double up whats working.

afishinado,

Oh yea, I know they are in there. I think it is just that I've have always done well using 'other' stuff, which prolly looks real enough to the fish.

Here is a pic of a scud, and caddis worms from VC...

dinner.jpg

Back