Ultralight Spin Rod

Breeze717

Breeze717

Ok, this IS a fly fishing forum, but as many have I was introduced to trout through spin fishing. For the past 5 years or so I've been using St. Croix Premier 5 ft Moderate Action UL rods. Even my fly rods are St. Croix. But due to some unfortunate circumstances my latest rod has broken. I've looked into G. Loomis, and another St. Croix. If anyone has any recommendations or another rod I should check out please chime in. I'm looking for a 5 ft UL, with FAST ACTION. I fish medium size streams here in York county and twice a year travel to Black Forest, Pa to visit my Parents. Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading what comes up.

I'd go with an 8' or shorter 6wt.

I can't help you out with a spinning rod, but I respect the KP profile pic.

Appreciated. As for my next fly rod, I've been pondering over a 5 wt Orvis Recon

Fenwick River Runner or St. Croix Trout series...

But this is a fly fishing forum. You might get some other suggestions if you take a look at Tackle Tour.

Best of luck with your search and if you do pick up a Recon, let us know if/how you like it.

I got a Recon (9ft 5wt) 2 weeks ago big improvement from my old Redington 5wt. Definitely recommend checking one out: super light, tight loops, and really accurate.

I would lose the ultra light and go with a 6' light action rod. Any brand rod will suffice.

I've been fishing Fenwick lately, did fish a lot of St Croix before, and really like the Fenwick. Plus the Fenwick elite has a lifetime warranty.

Agreed about the light action rod...the UL rods are really for stuff under 1/16oz. and while sometimes I do throw stuff that is 1/24oz., I rarely use 1/32oz. which is what most ultralight rods are rated down to. If you get into a nice trout on a flimsy ultralight, it will really wear the fish out. Light action (rated for like 1/16 - 1/4) rods in the 6'-6'6" range give you the casting distance, leverage, and power to fight both small and larger fish. The 6'9" light action Fenwick River Runner is really nice and is rated for 4-8 lb. test line and 1/32 - 5/16 oz. lures. They are not whippy at all, have a nice backbone, and have spigot ferrules. They are like $150 and the older model (6'8" L) from two years ago had a handle that was similar to a fly rod. If you are fishing big water with the rod, you may look at a 7' light action for the casting distance. Another model that would fit what I think you are looking for is the Quantum Teton Trout model which is like $28 and are a really good rod for the money. They have a very short back handle which allows you to flick your wrist in a cast and not have the back cork bump your forearm. I hope this helps.

I've always favored St Croix but rarely use spin equipment anymore. I seriously considered the Trout series. One spin rod I have used recently is a St Croix Eyecon light action. Enough heft to battle smallies but light enough to make bluegills a ton of fun.

Thank you all for the help. I still haven't made up my mind. It's going to become a back up at some point as I'm becoming more proficient fly fishing.

St. Croix 6' UL Premier.
My casting arm is messed up and I've been giving it a rest by using my spin rod lately.

While I can't help you with brands, I wouldn't go too fast on your spin rod.
For medium size stream trout fishing, you're not bucking wind and will likely be throwing very light lures in the 1/4 to 1/32 ounce range. You've heard it said countless times around here to test cast fly rods. . . . If it were me, I'd try to get to a store and see if they'll let you string up a spin rod and try casting it with various weights. Also, a knowledgeable sales rep could probably tell you over the phone if another spin rod is comparable to the St Croix.

Take a good look at the Fenwicks. I have a 6' and a 7' UL. Very sensitive and fast enough for throwing a few lures.

Here is a test shown to me by a rep at Cabelas... hold the rod very lightly near the handle, have a friend put the tip of the rod against his throat and say a few words. IF you can feel the vibrations through the rod, it is very sensitive. Both Fenwicks did this very well.

I have bush and bank tested these rods, they work very well.

You will find that serious trout spin fishermen go for 7' or longer, the leverage helps you set the hook better than a smaller rod. I have several rods, but the longer ones get more use.

Btw, I finally bought myself a rod case for the spinning rods. Well worth the money. Busted enough to buy several of the cases over the years... live and learn.

I have to chime in here,
I love the spinmatic UL rod from Diawa,
this thing is awesome, the 4 1/2 foot model is the best.
not fast action, but a little whip really helps with small lures.
you gotta try one its so cheap and good.

Back