Tying workstation

Doublewood refers to how it's "finnished". That particular scotch is aged in oak and the moved to sherry casks. As for the distillery, it's at the foot of the Balvenie Castle on the Spey, sound like a good Scottish Salmon stream to me, and single malt refers to it not being a blend of different ages and batches. It should be enjoyed over ice or with a splash of water to open the bouquet. A nice cigar like a Partagas or a real Cuban, not that hard to find, would go very well with the drink. It should be slightly fruity with a mossy smoked peat flavor but very smooth with minimal bite. If you need help, I'll gladly provide some Cubans that came into the US back in Eisenhour's days to go with the drink. Nothing like a properly aged cigar that's almost fifty to go with some rather fine scotch. And yes, I take my scotch and cigars almost as seriously as my fishing.

Medi comes through....who would have thought

JayL,

Make sure those Ice Cubes are from properly filtered filtered water :-D

Medi,
what does a bottle of that stuff cost?

JayL,

Ad Medi said, if you need some help with that, I will gladly supply the cigars.

Hell, I only live a few mins from you :)

Bob

Thanks for the advice, guys. I poured a bit of it on some ice before I read the cigar suggestion. I love a good cigar, and that would hit the spot. I didn't get a full bottle, it's about half full... I'll be sure to get a good cigar for next time. Medi, I might take you up on that cigar offer. I haven't had a cuban since I was in Germany.

Cambyses, are you going to Valley on friday? I'd be happy to have a cigar while fishing with you.

I must say, it's interesting. It sips well while relaxing and watching the flyers.

WOZERS!! THE THINGS, you can learn on this great board!!
First, I've learned that I'm obviously a minimum of "10 points" below Butt Boat, in class, when it comes to my libations! (which, at least keeps me roughly...3 points, above, Plastic Cat.)
Cigars, we're evidently on about the same par, as I worked part way through college as a tobacconist for the Tender Box-Pipe Shop chain, many moons ago.
But, I really enjoyed reading the lesson on "The Balvenie", booze.
Considering the likes of my libations, (when, I do, indulge), are more than likely; "aged in rinsed out plastic pickle barrels, then moved into equally cleaned, vinegar bottles", I find all this "oak and sherry casks", business quite enlightening!
"Single malt" meaning; "Not being a blend of different ages and batches", also fascinated me, since I had always believed the liquor I drank, WAS made tastier, by the different rags and towels that often were rung dry to get the last drop from them, over the pickle vat before sealing it up to "age" for no less than 36 hours. Just, imagine my surprise!?!
At least I wasn't as ashamed as I'd thought I'd be, when B.B. mentioned "the taste" of such a fine beverage........ mine, also, very often has a "peat bog taste", as well so THAT'S good to know!!
(in fact straining the moss, itself, through one's teeth isn't that uncommon an affair).
But, for the "bite" he insists shouldn't be there, I have to disagree.
We consider ANY libation, we happen to partake in, not worth it's hand printed label UNLESS it not only "has a good bite", but also needs to be subdued with a large stick or the back of an ax head.
Thank, God, no one's brought up the subject so far on "Good Coffee" or we'd have a post going for many, many, pages!!

I think I can be there, if work cooperates!

I don't have to be in the Lehigh Valley until Saturday morning.

I'll know better tomorrow, but work can be tricky, it seems that every friday is a nightmare there.

Bob

I love coffee, but I've not yet developed a taste for the good stuff. A good dark roasted african blend is pretty nice.

Perhaps someone else can come in and tack a few pages of coffee talk on to the thread for ya FB.

Sounds good, bob. I'll be sending a few PMs tomorrow to arrange things.

I enjoy coffee very much and probably drink too much of it.

FB,

Don't fret, I don't treat my coffee as I treat my liquor. I enjoy a good pot of coffee, but it doesn't have to be anything to fancy. A pot of Folgers is fine by me, as long as I make the pot.

I am only particular about how the coffee is brewed and how my cup is made.

I don't know if any of you have seen the History Channel special on coffee, but they had some coffee on there that is supposed to be one of the most expensive in the world (if not the most) and it comes from beans that have been digested and passed by some wild cat near Asia.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am surely not drinking cat crap.

The only thing I think cats are good for are plasticizing!!!

Bob

I'm a self admitted coffee snob, I like good coffee, what can I say? I would NOT EVER consider buying the aforementioned coffee, Kopi Luwak. Cat poop coffee doesn't do anything for me. :-o

"Coffee", is to ME.........what "good booze" is to YOU and B.B, Bob.
I roast my own beans here in my tying room and also do tasting for two coffee roasters in my area. What can I say? I retired very early and ya' can't fish after dark, in Oregon!?!
Now, as fancy-wancy as I may like my coffees, I totally agree with you and any one, else, that's; "Not about to drink any coffee that's been passed through an animal's digestive system".
Sorry, but at the risk of "getting kicked off this site, for good", the only way I can describe my thoughts on this Luwak coffee is to link it to "corn and peanuts", if you follow me!?!
Of course, once the Gag-Buck's yuppie crowd learned of this "new, select, extrememly rare and hard to come by, coffee", imitators followed, of course and now you can also buy "Monkey digested coffee", "Aardvark", "Chimpanzee" and even "Ant Eater", digested coffees. I thought it was bad enough, at $85.00 a pound, for the Luwak, let alone the "over a $100.00 A HALF POUND" for some of these others!
But, I DO, find it hilarious, to say the least, when I've read the description of "harvesting Luwak coffee beans": Quote: "It MUST be collected, off the jungle floors of Sumatra, while as fresh as possible and BEFORE it breaks down into individual beans and the "best flavor" is lost!" end, quote.
Well, just thinking about all of these poor workers, running around all hunched over, almost in a 'duck walk', with long handled scoops.... as fast as they can, behind a Luwak, waiting for it to rid itself of its latest load of digest coffee beans... just is too much to even think about, let alone, pay $85.00 a pound for "pooped out coffee beans"!?!
But, hey, MAYBE that's where Maxwell House came up with their age old slogan years ago............ "Good To The Last "DROP"!?? :lol:

Attachments

• natural1.jpg
    natural1.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
Here in PA you can get the Balvine Doublewood for about $45.00 a bottle, which isn't a bad price for a single malt. They also have a 21 year old for around $85.00 a bottle that was finnished in a port cask, should be very nice. The big boys in scotch available in PA are Glenmorangie 18 year old at about $120.00 a bottle, well worth it in my opinion, Macallan 18 year old, again at about $120.00 a bottle and Macallan 25 year old at about $380.00 a bottle. The longer they age the smoother they get. I can't even imagine how smooth that 25 year old can be. The cigars in question are PINARS and can be found with some digging at a few cigar shops in PA. I always keep a humidor stocked with Partagas, Pinars, Punch, and Hoyo de Monterreys so I have a variety. Coffee? I like Blue Kona. I don't roast but I do grind fresh for each pot and use a gold filter and spring water. Same water I make ice with. That whole coffee passed through a cat or a yak or a monkee or arrdvark thing is funny. With the right hype, you can get people to eat or drink just about anything. I've always said that if they tell you it's an aquired taste, try it and if you don't like it the first time, don't try again, it isn't worth it. Kinda like some call it sushi, others call it fish bait. On a side note, I just helped a friend bitched a deer so I have a nice freezer bag of thin cut venison for scallopini. A nice trout with some of that on the side followed by the aforementioned scotch and cigar and a nice cup of coffee with a small slice of chocolate mouse will make a fine meal. I better get cooking tonight.

The Kona types of coffees are a nice, "all day, drinking bean", if roasted properly, but I don't care for a coffee that carries only high notes, throughout drinking it and much prefer one that maybe starts with high notes, then levels out to low notes and a smoky flavor, clear to the end of the cup.
Your use of a gold filter, is a wise one, IF it's a "cone style". The "basket style" gold filters, have a habit of collecting too many oils across their plastic bottom surface, thus not getting fully into the pot when brewed and instead, soak back up into the wet grounds.
If you're stuck on the Kona beans, Medic, and if you haven't yet, get your paws on a pound of "Jamaica Blue Mountain", if you can find it freshly roasted. ("freshly roasted', meaning; "roasted within 48 hours of when it's ordered", which many, better coffee roasters do when their beans are ordered on line).
The last I ordered, it was $38.75 @ pound, plus freight, from a site called; "Sweet Maria's". Obviously, despite great coffee being a true obsession of mine, I still don't often order any coffees that cost me the same as a decent fly line! But, for that "once in a while, special occasion/special person, cup" it's well worth the outlay.(and, always prepared in a French Press, only).
Properly brewed, JBM will take you through the entire range, from low to high notes and after starting out, sort of floral... will end with a heady smoky flavor!
Of course, like with ANY coffee; bean or pre-ground, NEVER put the remainder in your freezer, but especially this Blue Mountain!
Your "dinner for tonight" sounded so good, that it made me raid my freezer and take out my last packages of strap back, hog eyes soup and pre-pattied raccoon burger! Man, we're BOTH, going to eat like kings, tonight!

Okie-Smokie, Plasti-Cat and B.B.!
As promised; "since you, two, were kind enough to share your "tying areas" with the rest of the known universe-I'd make the effort also".
So, here it is, for all it's not worth.
The lazysusan tool caddy, Bob, I admit that I made an exact copy of an Oasis brand one, that another club member has.
He let me take measurements and dimensions of his, so I could copy it and it only cost me a dozen #20 Tricos, for his generosity! It's made of red and golden oak. Of course, I made a "few" modifications, over the Oasis, to fit my own tying needs and wants.
Someday, (and I pray before too much longer)...... my lovely bride will even forgive me for taking the ballbearing assembly out of her Mother's dining table lazysusan!? (that I guess was a "wedding gift" or some such.The way she was yelling at me about taking it, at the time, I didn't get the whole story all that clear).
Anyway, you had better appreciate my efforts, considering it took me all afternoon to clean the entire area up,so I could get clear pictures!

Attachments

• TYING MESS-A.JPG
    TYING MESS-A.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
  • TYING MESS-B.JPG
    TYING MESS-B.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 5
  • TYING MESS-C.JPG
    TYING MESS-C.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 4
HOLY HELL!!!!

FB,

You have a TON of materials. Thats a sweet area you have there. Everything right there and lots of storage. I will fully admit that I am just a little jealous!!!

as far as the coffee discussion goes, after reading FB's post I started to think that I may have been neglecting myself all these years with just drinking general store stock. I may have to get out there and try some of the more "exotic" coffees.

The talk of the food has me starving...I think I shall eat now!!

FB,

Once again a very complete and stocked tying area.

Thanks for the pics

Bob

Ya' know, Plasti-cat.....
"IF".. ya' happened to "know the right people", and you really wanted to de-Folger's yourself and start drinking something made from REAL coffee beans, (instead of floor sweepings and chicory)..... I bet, with a mailing address a guy could get a FREE sampling of some nicely home roasted beans sent to his door!?!
Of course, you couldn't dare tell, someone like B.B. because then HE'D want some too, no doubt and it'd be SO embarrassing to give a lowly "Commoner's gift", like this, to one of his; "high quality tastes and epicurean expertise"!
Anyhoo, thanks for the comments on "The Hole" as my bride calls my surgically clean and sterile tying area. I didn't want to hog the thread with too many photos,so I didn't post ones of the THE OTHER SIDE, but there IS more still, in this room. (God, no wonder I'm so poor).

Very nice area there FB. ANy chance I get at trying anything in regards to food and drink I take advantage of. You never know, there may be a return of my special marinade too. It's like nothing on the market and a true secret.
I was luck enough to "find" a bottle of that Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old in my travels today and can now give you my personnal opinion on it. Nice overall fruity fragrance, not too pungent, not too heavy on the smokiness, very nice well rounded smoothness, not velvety, not sharp. Rich fruity honey like sweetness with some cinnamon, and vannila followed by a sherry layer and a long warm finnish. No bite, no twang, very nice drink straight and even nicer with one ice cube. Save the water for washing the glass because it will probably destroy the balance. Just my opinion so take it for what it's worth, but I'll buy more to add to the existing range of single malts already here. It's a good example of some of the wonderful single malts on the market and well worth the $42.00.
Oh yes, the trout where farm raised and wrapped in bacon with lemons and butter stuffing grilled till the skin crackled. The venison scallopini was dredged in flour seasoned with parsley, sage, thyme, and tarragon, sauted in butter and olive oil with schallots, red peppers and garlic. The pan was then deglazed with sherry and thickened to make a sauce to go over the linguini. I skipped the mouse due to a friend needing my asistance. Maybe next time. Oh, seems there will be more butchering going on Sunday so let's see if I can score a tenderloin and make medallions out of that. Cheers everyone. :-D

FB,

I think I will have to take you up on that, if it was an offer (hoping it was)

Medi,

I made it to the store today after work and picked up a bottle. I plan to test the "waters" this evening. I unfortunately don't have a nice cigar to go with it...but I will make do.

Bob

Ok, so when are all you guys with the really good booze gonna finally attend a Jam?

'WHAT"... good booze? Who? What Jam? I don't eat jam with my good booze! 'Course, then again, I don't have any "good" booze, like B.B. and Plasticat! Who has good booze? What, jam, where?
Share, what? Isn't this Kansas?

hahahaha....I'll attend a jam.

Now that I actually have a slight clue as to what fly fishing might be, I will gladly come and share my booze.

Bob

Bob, maybe if you meet up with Tom to eat this jam, wherever/whatever, that's all about, you can save on not having to buy any gas for the trip by asking B.B. if you and he can go there together and ride one of his Yaks that he's always talking about fishing from!?!
Frankly, to me anyway, fishing from a Yak, or ANY large, fur bearing, half wild animal, doesn't sound like much fun, (especially the smell, when they get wet in the river/lake/stream-depending), but what the heck, just remember he said he'd share his cigars with you.
As for the "beans", sure I'll send you some, but rumor has it............ "it's easier to mail something, IF one has an ADDRESS to send things to"!? (Just a rumor, mind you, but it sounds pretty logical nonetheless!?)
Also, need to know, if you need them pre-ground or does your resident lovely, trust you with sharp objects like grinder blades!?

Back