Tying workstation

When is the next Jam so I can make plans to attend?

Usually early june. It's a great time.

Well, I guess I'll have to make my plans to attend with the proper liquid refreshments for a tasting session.

Medic:
It might be a tad far, for me to attend that hoedown, but to help you out, with your libations and tasting party I could ship some of my Crazy Susy to you........ then you could share it with the others?!
I'm not even that greedy and it's okay with me if you lay claim to it when you serve it. (I'm generous, that way, ya' know).
Since the meet-up isn't until June, I'll pf course wait until the last week of May to put up a batch, so it'll properly age to perfection by the time I ship it and you'll be serving it.
I've got a few "aging barrels" left, thankfully. Not, really, "barrels", per se' more like plywood boxes, lined with pine tar and lead sheeting, to keep Susy from soaking through during transit.
I can guarantee that you'll be "One sought after gent', once word gets out; you're being so generous and kind, not to mention "One class act" among fellow Long rod slingers, for your gift of free libations!! I envy you, already, the new status you'll enjoy.
Make a note, NOW, so you'll well remember my instructions when the batch of C.S. arrives.... "DO NOT ALLOW any smokers, within 50 yards of wherever you'll be tapping into my custom made aging boxes, nor anyone even, with a severe case of stomach upset".
I use ONLY the finest of the shop rags I have in my garage, to seal up the boxes, before shipping, but still........... ya' never know, "accidents happen".
Bot, I have to repeat, my earlier comment........... "I REALLY envy you, for the popularity and fame you're going to enjoy at that Jam!
(Note: I also roasted the beans today, for shipping to you and Plasticat, will put into the mail on Monday. I think I have both your addresses already!?)

A large group of sloppy drunk "long rodders" in the woods in June....
sounds like a blast to me, but if the CS makes an appearance I can't see how much fishing will get done! At least the fish will be very happy about the new guest sharing so kindly!

Bob

I've already made the proper plans to have the necessary HAZMAT equipment at hand to open and dispense the CS. Should be a blast.
On a side note, here's a pipc of a cadis emeger I'm tying now since I moved some stuff around in the boxes and found room for about ten more flies.

very nice...I have some pics of flies I tied last week that I will post when company leaves.

Does anyone else just tie from imagination?

Meaning that you just sit down with out a certain pattern in mind and just tie what comes to you?

I do this a lot with my streamers and my bass flies.

Bob

I tie from imagination all of the time. It always turns out being some pattern that already exists, but what the hell. I still slap my name on it once I perfect it.

As for the jam, it's always a real blast. And yes, there is sloppy drunkenness. There were many plans to be up at dawn to fish, however both days ended up starting around noon. Imagine that.

If you check out the jamboree page at the left page navigation, you can view the pics from the last jam. The last one was my first, and I plan on going to all of them from now on.

Like these ??

Very nice. I tie from immagination alot but refer to a set of Orvis books I got back in the 80's from time to time. It's a two volume loose leaf set with some appendixes and pretty cool. I recently picked up the tyer's benchside guide from Orvis and find it very interesting. I particularly like the different methods of "weaving" different body materielas to get patterns. I haven't tried that yet but plan on it soon.

"Tying from imagination"?? I, think, that's the latest "turn" in this 6 page post on "Tying tables I've known and loved", anyway??
Well, speaking of "tying flies, while having a shot of Crazy Susy wine", since I just now brought it up.... A few have seen my pics of my tying area, so know, that I have a couple of boxes of materials collected over the years, etc.
Well, the CS decided for me one time, (since I'd never have done this in a "sane mode"), to see what sort of fly I could come up with, if I took a small snip-it of material from EVERY piece of fly tying material I had at the time and attached it ALL, to a single shark fishing hook!
I found out, first off, that I should have tried to spin the various deer and antelope hairs I have, onto the fly before it became 7 and a half inches thick, because hair doesn't spin well, (to my surprise), around braided tinsel, and/or, Mongoose ear hair fibers.
Another really great "fish scatterer", is to coat a #12 dry fly hook, heavily with flex-a-mint, then dip it into your waste-trol basket and let it dry.
If you still find yourself bored, don't clean your tying table for about a week, then tie flies from just the various scraps of everything that's left lying around below the vise.
The pictures that the 2 of you, have posted so far, are really, really, nice looking ties. (S-Fly and Medic). But, aren't you afraid that they're "too good" and if you're not careful..........they might actually catch fish!??

The 3 flies I posted are from scraps, I only clean the floor after my stool gains a inch in height... :-D after 40 years of tying I have alot of patterns I've come up with, some good, some not so good...all seem to catch a fish or 2...

I use a 1 gallon acrylic aquarium as my trash bin and today I officially filled it after only tying for 6 months.

I can't say that any of "my" flies look that good. For some reason when ever I try tying from imagination they always end up being streamers and resemble a bugger.

Bob

Hey Bob come over some time we can tie some flies I live 5 minutes from the fly stretch in Brookhaven. I got plenty of room I have a whole room for tying flies and I have plenty of material

sandfly wrote:
I only clean the floor after my stool gains a inch in height... .

Have you taken one of those in to the doctor EEEWWWW TMI!

Tom,

HAHAHAHA....I was thinking the same thing

Fred,

I am always in for something like that, and what is this "fly stretch" in Brookhaven?

I wrote that wrong I live in Brookhaven

Back