Trout Routes App

F

fayettenamese

I recently downloaded the Trout Routes app. Does anyone else use it? 90% of the time, I fish close to home where I know the water pretty well. I have used it on a few adventure trips into Limestone Stream areas and it has been helpful. On my first trip using Trout Routes out of my home area, I forgot to download the offline maps before I arrived. Lesson learned. I'm excited to try it in WV this fall. I have really struggled to find reliable, large scale information about wild trout waters in WV. Hoping this is the solution. Just curious if anybody else uses the app??? I haven't been on this forum for a while so forgive me if there was already a thread about this.

I associate TroutRoutes with basically WoolyBugged marketing. Ive been using OnXHunt for a few years.

My brother-in-law has been using OnXHunt and he had nothing but good things to say about it. I have been using GPS Fishing Guide to PA, but they have not updated that app since Apr 3rd, 2020 and I tried to email them about their next update and the email got bounced back to me, so maybe just another of many, failed iPhone want-a-be apps. Also the reviews of the Trout Routes app since update rev 4.00 have been all over the place some good and some awfully bad.

I have an extensive GIS system that I integrate with excel spreadsheets that I've made over the years to find and navigate new waters in PA. I wanted to try Trout Routes to see if it would streamline my process. It has worked well so far. The only thing is that its classification system doesn't perfectly jive with the Class A, Class B, HQCWF, and stocked stream classifications that are put out by the state.

Its nice that the app combines both the http://maps.wildtroutstreams.com/ data with generic map data probably along with other sources. My process today is a combination of manual interrogations and planning with OnXHunt+Arcgis+Google Maps which isnt ideal. My only concern here is you're relying on a primary source of data(wildtroutstreams) that makes this special. If the whole "fish\stream" portion of this ever is out of the equation its just an inferior basemaps platform. Further i also dont see anyway to export or import data like other reputable platforms like OnXHunt and Basemaps and id be worried of investing in something like this that could easily get abandoned. Imagine spending years of time of data investment into this and then poof its all gone. Who wants to bet that the developers are benefiting from everyones "Secret spots" :D

I tried both http://maps.wildtroutstreams.com/ and http://wildtroutstreams.com/ and I get this from Norton "Dangerous webpage Blocked This is a known dangerous webpage. It is highly recommended that you do NOT visit this page."

It might be safe but it also might be somewhere in page code it is requesting personal and\or computer information on the web page and and Norton is worried about phishing.

More likely that your Norton settings are set on the strictest possible configurations. Ive analyzed the site and it does have non-ideal onfigurations like insecure cookie settings which poses risk in the javascript hijacking thats running on the site. Raw directory listings are enabled, missing Strict-Transport-Security enforcement and X-Header enforcement and XSS configurations.

Its like a house with the doors unlocked, greater risk of penetration, but doesn't mean its been compromised.

I have used the app for awhile now, as it's great for Pennsylvania, but also gives info on some of the other waters I fish around the country (Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado). It's great because you get stream data, fly shop info., and pretty extensive maps.

There are listing for stream types...but you still have to fish them to see if those wild ones are there!

Prior to this app, I preferred to use Google Maps or my topo maps (which are nearly torn apart and have notes all over). This has been an easy upgrade for me, but there are still many resources I turn to (i.e. calling local fly shops).

Here's a review video:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0wLOVHyE0k[/youtube]

Feel free to PM me with any question,

TC

fayettenamese wrote:
I recently downloaded the Trout Routes app. Does anyone else use it? 90% of the time, I fish close to home where I know the water pretty well. I have used it on a few adventure trips into Limestone Stream areas and it has been helpful. On my first trip using Trout Routes out of my home area, I forgot to download the offline maps before I arrived. Lesson learned. I'm excited to try it in WV this fall. I have really struggled to find reliable, large scale information about wild trout waters in WV. Hoping this is the solution. Just curious if anybody else uses the app??? I haven't been on this forum for a while so forgive me if there was already a thread about this.

Back