Trout Mentor Day

L

lestrout

Anyone know how many kids one adult can mentor? I have 3 grandsons here that would be eligible. I've taken my oldest several times. We would go to a spot nearby and catch the one cermonial rainbow, let him/her go and then go back to whatever business. Last fall, the youngest went fishing several times with me, and he's a natural. He loves it and is great at the catching part. The oldest has discovered girls, so we will see. He's done stocking with me (helps with Boy Scout badges), but I think again the youngest one is more enthusiastic about the whole idea.

Anyone know how many kids one adult can mentor? I have 3 grandsons here that would be eligible. I've taken my oldest several times. We would go to a spot nearby and catch the one cermonial rainbow, let him/her go and then go back to whatever business. Last fall, the youngest went fishing several times with me, and he's a natural. He loves it and is great at the catching part. The oldest has discovered girls, so we will see. He's done stocking with me (helps with Boy Scout badges), but I think again the youngest one is more enthusiastic about the whole idea.
Received a brief from WCO from Tioga County on the subject. He said there was no specific adult-youth number. But he also cautioned that the program is not designed to hold a kids fishing derby.

I think you're fine with your grandsons. You are allowed to fish, but I'd suggest spending more time mentoring than fishing. To me that's where the fun is anyway.

Remember that the kids are required to have a permit (free), or purchase a youth license. The license w
only costs a few bucks, but the Feds kick in money to fish and boat for every license sold.

I have taken three nieces / nephews out at a time, which means you are constantly helping at least one of them with some issue. My favorite was the 6 year old who cast her entire rod into the creek. I've had the most rewarding mentor experience when it's one-on-one. I do also fish during it when I can. Helps me get them on more fish to hand off after hookup, let's them practice netting, show's them how to read the water, and also practicing fish handling and proper release. The goal of the day is to get them interested in the sport. However that works for you and your family within the rules, enjoy it!

My personal favorite moments were taking my now grown nephew for early breakfast, at the stream at opening, helping to stock midday, and then fishing over the newly stocked fish that afternoon. He had a blast.

Please take your 3 grandkids out on Mentored Youth Day and hopefully everyone has a great time.

The goal of the program is to get kids out fishing. As mentioned on the PFBC website the commission would prefer to avoid huge youth fishing derbies with limited adult supervision. That said, and I speak from multiple years experience, grandad and three grandkids will be viewed quite happily by WCOs and DWCOs alike.

Back