Tires are killing Coho…

The process of mining, transporting and burning coal and fossil fuels is much more environmentally friendly than windmills, solar farms and electric cars.
Yes, here is a picture of burning solar fields in Kuwait.

Re the article citing tire pollution, it seems like we should make every effort to keep runoff from roads from going into our trout streams, or at least delay or filter it as much as possible. How? I don't know. But I do know there is a whole lot of crap on our roads that we don't want in our trout streams and eliminating ICE cars won't change that: asphalt, tar, tire rubber, oil, gas, diesel fuel, antifreeze. And heat—summer thunderstorms on hot roads can be lethal to trout.

Re the article citing tire pollution, it seems like we should make every effort to keep runoff from roads from going into our trout streams, or at least delay or filter it as much as possible. How? I don't know. But I do know there is a whole lot of crap on our roads that we don't want in our trout streams and eliminating ICE cars won't change that: asphalt, tar, tire rubber, oil, gas, diesel fuel, antifreeze. And heat—summer thunderstorms on hot roads can be lethal to trout.
Don't forget about all the calcium chloride in the winter.

If you want more detail on the original topic regarding tire breakdown, particulates, nanoparticles, leaching chems, fish, macro invertebrates, etc it’s easy to find at least one scientific paper referenced in essence by the op and reviews of other research such as that at Oregon State on the topic just by using a search engine. One recommendation is to keep tires properly inflated so that it takes longer for particles to be shed.

Last edited:
I'd love to see proof of this, because in my experience, it is not happening. Just drove past the warehouse metropolis along 83 between Harrisburg and state line the other day, no solar panels in sight. I travel for work a good bit and drive through the Carlisle, newville area a few times of year. Dozens of new warehouses in recent years, no rooftop solar in sight.

Someone else mentioned Burkholders grocery store along 45. The built solar panels on top of their parking lot. If this was done at each warehouse in conjunction with rooftop solar, you would be adding 100+ acres a pop.

Allow me to throw another spanner in the works...

EV's & hybrids are heavier than their internal combustion or traditional vehicle counterparts (ICE/TV). The hardly mentioned elephant in the room is the greater weight puts heavier loads & stresses on suspensions and...

...tires.

The consequence is a much higher rate of tire degradation versus TV's...

I'm not trying get political, but it is something else to ponder when you are constantly told EV's are the panacea to all of our problems...
It is not the greater weight of EVs that is primarily responsible for greater tire wear: That’s not how physics works. Driving style - particularly rapid acceleration, deceleration, cornering - has a far, far greater impact on tire wear than vehicle weight.

As such, the primary reason why EVs experience greater tire wear is their greater torque, which unlike ICE vehicles is fully available from a dead start. Humans - whether driving EVs, muscle cars or overpowered trucks - love rocket-like launches. They’re exhilarating.

If one wants to minimize tire wear, regardless of vehicle type, give up those jackrabbit launches.

Last edited:
Fixed it. ;)
Solar panels are made almost entirely of silicon, soooo, whuh? If your comment was about EV batteries, the tech is young and wasteful, and though it’s improving rapidly right now it’s a mess.

Most EVs are grossly overpowered and over-batteried. Hybrids and PHEVs are generally more reliable and eco-friendly than either ICE or EV vehicles.

And now I’m bored and so going back to packing for a week of 🎣.

Solar panels are made almost entirely of silicon, soooo, whuh? If your comment was about EV batteries, the tech is young and wasteful, and though it’s improving rapidly right now it’s a mess.

Most EVs are grossly overpowered and over-batteried. Hybrids and PHEVs are generally more reliable and eco-friendly than either ICE or EV vehicles.

And now I’m bored and so going back to packing for a week of 🎣.
Actually, silica since the bulk of panels are glass - which along with the metal frame are recyclable. The PV cells contain a messy mixture of elements that cannot be feasibly recycled. I found your "spilled sunlight" comment amusing though. :)

Reactions: Kms

Actually, silica since the bulk of panels are glass - which along with the metal frame are recyclable. The PV cells contain a messy mixture of elements that cannot be feasibly recycled. I found your "spilled sunlight" comment amusing though. :)
Silica, silicon, it’s just a little oxygen between friends. 😁

Solar cells are made of silicon, a semiconductor material that's also the second most abundant material on Earth

I read an article in the trout unlimited magazine about tires and the chemical 6PPD-quinone killing coho. In the article it also mentions that it effects brook trout but not brown trout. What are your thoughts on this?
Too many green whackos creating problems that don’t exist. This is why I won’t conxider a TU membership.

Too many green whackos creating problems that don’t exist. This is why I won’t conxider a TU membership.
I do not fully agree with all of the positions TU takes, but how is identifying that a certain chemical effects brook trout more so than brown trout worth your comment?

Everything is worth my comment.

The poster said the TU article claims it effects brook BUT NOT brown trout. A thinking person surely understands that that is worth my comment.

Back