Tires are killing Coho…

Sad indeed, as well as short-sighted. Just read an article where they want to put one of those atrocities on reclaimed mine land in Clearfield county. Here is the kicker, the power generated would be sent to New York state and wouldn't even be used here in PA.

The solar $#!+shows that pi$$ me off the most are the disasters waiting to happen in the Poconos where they take huge previously wooded property, clear cut and scar the mountain tops to crate solar fields of over 300 acres... :mad:

The run-off from those abominations will go into a bunch of Class A streams and end up in the Brodhead sooner or later...

Here's hoping for a hailstorm from hell... ;)

I guess the only good thing about a cornfield becoming the same is the land is already cleared and any NEW problems from run-off are less.

But to continue my previous rant... counties and local governments are in a race against time to hurry-up and spend the assistance money offered during COVID on stupid and wasteful projects but not a nickel is going into farmland preservation programs...

Last edited:
The solar $#!+shows that pi$$ me off the most are the disasters waiting to happen in the Poconos where they take huge previously wooded property, clear cut and scar the mountaintops to crate solar fields of over 300 acres... :mad:

The run-off from those abominations will go into a bunch of Class A streams and end up in the Brodhead sooner or later...

Here's hoping for a hailstorm from hell... ;)

I guess the only good thing about a cornfield becoming the same is the land is already cleared and any NEW problems from run-off are less.

But to continue my previous rant... counties and local governments are in a race against time to hurry-up and spend the assistance money offered during COVID on stupid and wasteful projects but not a nickel is going into farmland preservation programs...
I couldn't imagine that Pocono project to be real. Sounds like one of the reasons for adding it will be more development to the areas. I would like to hear more environmental groups take on this and I would also think there would be a strong nimby backlash also. A Margaritaville?! Time to scratch the Poconos off my retirement fishing list.

Here it is:

And I saw this on Pennlive:

The process of mining, transporting and burning coal and fossil fuels is much more environmentally friendly than windmills, solar farms and electric cars.

That has to be true right? That is what Bob the dishwasher in the cafeteria at work tells me. He is well versed in environmental and political science, he must have a PhD in that stuff for as many talking points he has on it. I wonder why he is working in the back of the kitchen and not teaching a class somewhere?

The process of mining, transporting and burning coal and fossil fuels is much more environmentally friendly than windmills, solar farms and electric cars.

That has to be true right? That is what Bob the dishwasher in the cafeteria at work tells me. He is well versed in environmental and political science, he must have a PhD in that stuff for as many talking points he has on it. I wonder why he is working in the back of the kitchen and not teaching a class somewhere?
Sounds like Bob should stick to washing dishes.

We are way off topic, but I am fully supportive of exploring cleaner energy sources. However, clearing thousands of acres of forested land to do so is not it. Putting thousands of acres of prime ag soils out of agricultural production for solar or housing developments for that matter is not it.

We should be putting solar ontop of existing warehouses, large parking lots, partially reclaimed minelands etc. All new million sq ft warehouses should have solar panels on them.

We should be putting solar ontop of existing warehouses, large parking lots, partially reclaimed minelands etc. All new million sq ft warehouses should have solar panels on them.

They do.

Do you have any sources you can share on warehouse panel requirements? It would be greatly appreciated!
Never said there were requirements.

Like to see the Stadium and university lots coved. Malls shopping plazas and parking lots too. There should not be any more land stripped.
Where are the new building regs with that included?
Yeah it would be a shame if there wasn't any room for new frack wells.

I for one have have heard more common sense espoused from Bob the Dishwashers, Tony the Janitors, Larry the Bus Driver and Stan the Septic Tank Cleaner than any horses a$$ PhD know it all a$$hole blow hard F'n snob..

Quite frankly I rather break bread and hoist a few with a plumber or Bob that some elitist or fan boy that thinks their $#!+ doesn't stink and their opinions are relevant because they have an education...

But that's me...

Last edited:
I for one have have heard more common sense espoused from Bob the Dishwashers, Tony the Janitors, Larry the Bus Driver and Stan the Septic Tank Cleaner than any horses a$$ PhD know it all a$$hole blow hard F'n snob..

Quite frankly I rather break bread and hoist a few with a plumber or Bob that some elitist that thinks their $#!+ doesn't stink because they have an education...

But that's me...
So being educated = stuck up and a blow hard *******.

Being the guy that sucks your septic tank = intelligent philosopher.

Gotcha.

Reactions: Kms
Back to the discussion -
For those of you that have been to Burkholder's grocery store in Millheim - those are solar panels that cover their parking lot. That makes so much sense on so many levels - Cooler parking lot in the summer, a little bit of shelter from rain or snow when it's stormy. And provides electricity when the sun shines, to boot. That should be replicated across all the huge parking lots and warehouses that cover so much of our developed land.
And I totally agree that cutting down a forest to install a solar farm is a travesty. But what's the difference between crop fields and solar fields? It's a landowner deciding what they want to do with their land. For that matter, how much damage has agriculture done to our streams? I would argue that it's the single biggest contributor to stream degradation nationwide. Yet solar is pilloried and agriculture is to be preserved and protected. The main difference I see is that solar isn't going to be actually continuing to till the soil and cause runoff and allow grazing animals to defecate in and trample streams. This has gotten better from the old days for sure, but the amount of degradation to our streams has been staggering. In the long run, solar will certainly be a lot less harmful than agriculture. And it has a huge ecological benefit.
And if you have a problem with solar farms looking ugly, I hope to also hear you complain about power lines, highways, office parks, factories, warehouses, cell towers, dams, bridges, oil/gas wells, etc, etc. For that matter, houses and particularly housing developments replace huge tracts of farmland or forest land every year.

No, it's just only F'n ignorant arrogant a$$holes think that you need to have an education to have your opinions matter or be valid versus someone that doesn't push paper for a living...

My father-in-law was a painter, my best friend is an exterminator, a fishin' buddy is a farmer, another friend is a cop, I socialize with carpenters and I value the opinions of my septic guy...

However I F'n hate and despise elitist a$$hole snobs that think these people's opinions don't matter or they have no insight because they aren't some "expert" anointed" by the other intelligentsia that are self proclaimed experts....

So being educated = stuck up and a blow hard *******.

Being the guy that sucks your septic tank = intelligent philosopher.

Gotcha.

No, it's just that only F'n ignorant arrogant a$$holes think that you need to have an education to have your opinions matter or be valid versus someone that doesn't push paper for a living...

My father-in-law was a painter, my best friend is an exterminator, a fishin' buddy is a farmer, another friend is a cop, I could talk for hours with my car mechanic, I socialize with carpenters and I value the opinions of my septic guy...

However I F'n hate and despise elitist a$$hole snobs that think these people's opinions don't matter or they have no insight because they aren't some lettered "expert" anointed" by the other intelligentsia that are self proclaimed armchair experts....

Last edited:
I get along great with the guy that cleans my septic tank. He taught me all about what they do with that water and all the permits involved. We don't talk about his opinion on solar panels, he would only know what he hears on his "news" of choice.

I have a friend that runs a business based off of solar enegry and clean power generation. I value his opinions on the matter. I don't get into sepitc waste talk with him though.

I am a mechanic. For what its worth my next car will likely be electric. Plug in hybrid at least. Not a Tesla though. They are ugly.

Back