Tires are killing Coho…

Beweav

Beweav

I read an article in the trout unlimited magazine about tires and the chemical 6PPD-quinone killing coho. In the article it also mentions that it effects brook trout but not brown trout. What are your thoughts on this?
Also in relation to the many conversations had on here about the interactions of brown trout and native fish. Clearly brown trout do have a ecological effect on brook trout but an issue like this(where a chemical effects one and not the other) could really exacerbate the perceived negative effects we see.
This is a good reminder of how much we have to discover.
This is not the exact article but has a lot of the same info. https://newhampshirebulletin.com/2023/06/28/whats-killing-the-fish/

There are water quality sampling efforts going on throughout the Northeast US targeting streams that receive alot of stormwater from interstates to see if levels of 6ppd quinone would be concerning for brook trout.

Allow me to throw another spanner in the works...

EV's & hybrids are heavier than their internal combustion or traditional vehicle counterparts (ICE/TV). The hardly mentioned elephant in the room is the greater weight puts heavier loads & stresses on suspensions and...

...tires.

The consequence is a much higher rate of tire degradation versus TV's...

I'm not trying get political, but it is something else to ponder when you are constantly told EV's are the panacea to all of our problems...

Last edited:
One of my best brookie streams runs beside, under and between the lanes of interstate 80???

If tractor trailer tires contain 6PPD, one could expect the bulk of what enters runoff would come from the shredded alligators on every interstate in the country.

Right, let's all stop using tires. Whattayagonnado
I'm still waiting for the flying DeLorean from Back to the Future to come to fruition.

I'm still waiting for the Jetson's car they promised was coming when I was a kid...

The Jetsons Flying Car

Last edited:
Stop driving 3 hours to Penn's and walk to your local stream.

The consequence is a much higher rate of tire degradation versus TV's...
I haven't heard this before. How much is "much higher"? And where did you get this information?

I haven't heard this before. How much is "much higher"? And where did you get this information?

20% - 30% higher.

It's not talked about along with other problems associated with EV's but the information is out there and just a search away...

Stop driving 3 hours to Penn's and walk to your local stream.

20% - 30% higher.

It's not talked about along with other problems associated with EV's but the information is out there and just a search away...
Hey you aren't supposed to point that stuff out. It doesn't fit the narrative.
On another note, have you seen the "solar farm" they have between Fleetwood and Lyons?

...On another note, have you seen the "solar farm" they have between Fleetwood and Lyons?

YES, I just saw it last Saturday for the first time and was shocked as I don't drive out that way often...

I wasn't impressed and don't get me started on that $#!+ and wind farms...

YES, I just saw it last Saturday for the first time and was shocked as I don't drive out that way often...

I wasn't impressed and don't get me started on that $#!+ and wind farms...
No need to get started, I can start my own rant. My sister lives right down the road, I'll have to ask them when it was put there, and by whom.
What a waste of good farmland.

No need to get started, I can start my own rant. My sister lives right down the road, I'll have to ask them when it was put there, and by whom.
What a waste of good farmland.

I don't begrudge a farmer their options but with all that is going on in Lehigh, Berks & Northampton Counties it saddened me when I saw that monstrosity.

I have a buddy down the road who is a farmer and he looks at that as a better option than selling his land for development since his kid kid isn't interested in being a farmer.

I guess if I had my preference I would prefer a solar farm versus 200 new houses with 450 more kids to cause my school taxes & real estate taxes to go up again... :mad:

But the sad part is when county farm preservation money isn't enough to sway a farmer from going that route...

I don't begrudge a farmer their options but with all that is going on in Lehigh, Berks & Northampton Counties it saddened me when I saw that monstrosity.

I have a buddy down the road who is a farmer and he looks at that as a better option than selling his land for development since his kid kid isn't interested in being a farmer.

I guess if I had my preference I would prefer a solar farm versus 200 new houses with 450 more kids to cause my school taxes & real estate taxes to go up again... :mad:

But the sad part is when county farm preservation money isn't enough to sway a farmer from going that route...
Sad indeed, as well as short-sighted. Just read an article where they want to put one of those atrocities on reclaimed mine land in Clearfield county. Here is the kicker, the power generated would be sent to New York state and wouldn't even be used here in PA.

Sad indeed, as well as short-sighted. Just read an article where they want to put one of those atrocities on reclaimed mine land in Clearfield county. Here is the kicker, the power generated would be sent to New York state and wouldn't even be used here in PA.
Do you have a link to that story?

Back