Tipping dry flies

F

flynoob

Had tied some parachute adams, and BWOs, and elk hair caddis and tried them out this past weekend, no luck on any of them and found that just about all of them were not riding flush with the water but riding on on their sides. I'm newer to dry fly tying but i had tested these flies in a bowl of water and they were fine. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fish maybe just weren't biting?

What kinda knot you tie them on your tippet with?

What size tippet? Too heavy will cause issues.

Gfen doesn't tip his drys enough, only 2% the cheap skate..

Sounds like your post on the drys might be to tall and the hackle to large on the caddis

Yeah, it is hard to tell without a picture. For some of the klinks I just tied I used quick descent on the lower half. The float properly like a champ.

Heh I didn't think gfen tipped at all. I am sure the waitresses all have pet names for him.

Mr. Pink=Gfen???

sandfly wrote:
Gfen doesn't tip his drys enough, only 2% the cheap skate..

this is true, I'm a notoriously bad tipper, and I downright refuse to give pizza delivery guys big tips. i know what they do, and it ain't much. Stab them in the neck.

Tippet size is a funny thing, if its too thin your flies will twist around and flutter haphazardly to the water, quite possibly on the side.

Or, giant wings. Make some parachutes, and just keep the post short. Still on its side, then its not a topheavy fly, its something else.

ps: i'll be mr. purple.

I don't tip because Society says I have to...

will try to post a few pics tomorrow

Fly Floatant on the bare hook can keep it from breaking the surface tension of the water, too.

Try pinching the bare part part of the hook between your clean fingers when you dress your fly with floatant and see if that helps.

Works for me,

Shock

Back