Time to Leave them Be (TROUT)

Spring Creek was 70F at 6:15 pm this evening at the PFBC parking area with the handicapped platform, upstream a ways from Route 550.

If anybody else is taking water temps, post em up. It doesn't have to be "famous" streams.

I just saw on the USGS gauge that the Tobyhanna Creek water temperature in the Poconos peaked at 79 degrees today. That is the highest I have ever seen it since I have been paying attention to the gauge, which hasn't been that long.

It looks like I won't be going fishing there for a while.

I work outdoors for a living and the Manheim Auto Auction shut down the detail shop today at 1:00 pm. I didn't complain, but as hot & humid as today was, it would have been just another summer day when I used to live in New Iberia, LA.

k-bob wrote:
full grasp of article below is beyond me... but my reading of figs 7 and 8 is that small PA streams with relatively high ground water inputs have smaller water temp increases in hot weather than other streams do.

This is important.
We're seeing stronger ground water and spring seep flows than we have in years. If you have visited any of the CV limestoners lately, you know what I'm talking about. They're really pushing.

Many mountainside seeps in my neck of the woods which are seasonal and often dry in summer, are flowing in small creeks and have been for over a year. This undoubtedly helps this summer.

troutbert wrote:

If anybody else is taking water temps, post em up. It doesn't have to be "famous" streams.

I'll second this.
If you've got a thermometer and are out and about, let us know what you're finding.

(Mad dogs and Englishman and all that :))

tiny Pond Creek in Pinchot State Forest in Luzerne County where it crosses Bear Lake Road: 73F at noon. Some other tiny tribs with groundwater inputs and no impoundment like Pond Creek has were 8-10° cooler.

Here are some from Centre Cty:

Wallace Run, about 1.5 miles above mouth. This is a freestone stream that has fair numbers of wild browns in this lower section. 78F at 4:40 pm.

Bald Eagle Cr at Dowdys Hole Rd, not very far above the lake. 70F at 4:55 pm.

Bald Eagle Cr at rr bridge a short distance above Spring Creek. 83F at 5:15 pm.

Spring Cr, a short distance above mouth. 63F at 5:25 pm.

Buffalo Run, just above mouth. 66F at 5:40 pm.

Spring Cr at parking area with handicapped platform, up a ways from Rt. 550. 70F at 5:55 pm.

Spring Cr at Rock Rd. 66F at 6:10 pm.

Dave_W wrote:
troutbert wrote:

I'll second this.
If you've got a thermometer and are out and about, let us know what you're finding.
Jeans Run @ 60F today.
I don't envision too many folks fishing that gorge section very often at all. That's a serious physical workout! I find the bottom half of the stream fishes better anyway. :)

Other than Wallace (higher than I would’ve thought) none of those surprise me. That stream has to hit some limestone once it hits the valley floor I would think?

Swattie87 wrote:
Other than Wallace (higher than I would’ve thought) none of those surprise me. That stream has to hit some limestone once it hits the valley floor I would think?

No. That's shale geology there.

Plus, when I drove past Wallace R. on a visit to my sister today, it is really low, despite all this spring and early summer's rains. With this weather and its low amount of water, I'm not surprised it is as warm as it is.

The only temp I care about is the air temp. Over 90 and I stay home. No bass, no carp, especially no 3" fish caught out of puddles. Time to get acquainted with my air conditioning. The end of this week will be dropping into low 80's. Until then I think I will make some rice pudding, tie a fly or two and maybe hit up cabelas for something new.

56. SWPA Laurel Highlands.

Lots of flooding in NWPA Friday-Saturday.
https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/40815526/flash-flooding-in-titusville-area-damages-roadways-bridges

Spring Creek was 72F at 3:35 at the PFBC parking area with the handicapped platform upstream from Route 550.

Little J at the Spruce creek gage was 72F at 6:30 PM Sunday.

Interesting, heat wave after extra rain. I was surprised at cool water in tiny carbon county ravines early am, 62 +/- and not climbing that quickly... air even felt cooler than I would have guessed. Fine for brookie hiking-in fishing. But as others have noted, the flow matters...who knows how warm the water would have been if that heat wave occurred during a drought?

I have near zero experience on Spring Creek & Lil J but of course they're draining a great amount of land 50 + sq mi??, very different thermally versus a 2 sq mi poconorhodo ravine. Also tumbling water in a steep stream must get aerated.

Always wonder why people try to save the invasive trout that can barely live in some of the creeks anyways. Take them to your dinner plate. Think the title should say leave the cold water species alone. Trout is not the only species that can die in this heat. Mishandling and over fighting any fish can kill them in this heat. Even bass.

Back