Tight line rod for chrome

wbranch

wbranch

A question to all you Euro/tight line devotees out there........... What line weight Euro type rod would you recommend for steelhead that average 24" and often go to 28"? I have a 10" #6 Redington. Maybe I could use my Rio FIPS Euro line on that rod or what do you think if I under line it with a WF#3? Fish below are typical of my catches.

Attachments

• 20191022_001348.jpg
    20191022_001348.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20191022_121449.jpg
    20191022_121449.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 7
A 6wt is plenty of rod for Erie steelhead. Tippet size is more important in regard to quickly subduing fish.

Overall weight and balance should be your priority for putting together a heavier tight-line outfit. I don't know what your Redington is like, but I suspect that it may be unpleasant to fish all day as a tight-line rig once equipped with an appropriate reel. Also, due to the inherent stiffness of a heavier line weight rod, it might not perform the way you want unless you are using very heavy flies or weight on your leader. This is particularly true if it was not designed as a euro rod. A big part of the reason that euro rods designated 3wt and lighter are so popular is that they match well with the weight of the flies being used, and the size and depth of the waters typically being fished. Most of the steelhead tribs are small to medium sized streams when compared with typical trout water. Thus the outfits most appropriate for fishing them would be the same as that used for trout if not for the unusually large size of the fish. What you are really shooting for is balancing how well the outfit fishes with how easily it handles a fish once hooked.

As as lines go, I'll just say in regard to "euro lines" your money is better spent on inexpensive floating running line and using that savings toward a better/lighter rod or reel. I've never worried about matching a line weight to a euro rod. I just settle for a diameter of running line that is easy to handle while being small diameter. I think the one I use the most is either .028 or .026".

I got a Helios euronymph rod, 10.5 ft 3 wt. I landed steelhead with it this year. It bends a lot but it has a decent backbone 1/3 of the way down. It isn't as whippy as many noodle rods I've seen.

I use a 10 foot 5 weight Helios Tip Flex with some regularity on the Erie tribs. Works well.

I'm going to stick with with the Redington 10' 6" #6. If I want to tight line I will remove the normal 9' - 10' leader and put on 12' - 15' 4X fluorocarbon tippeted leader.

I'm going to stick with with the Redington 10' 6" #6. If I want to tight line I will remove the normal 9' - 10' leader and put on 12' - 15' 4X fluorocarbon tippeted leader.
I use a Sage ONE 10ft 6wt with 6wt line. I just change my leader up.

Back