Thinking of building a few leaders...

I found that I've been making my furled butts out of 6# mono, and the middle out of 4# mono.

I'll write up a dissertation on my way of doing it tonight, Afish's picture has his pretty much laid out completely.

And as for them being "stupid," I wish I'd have paid more attention to this when I started. You don't realize how important leaders are 'til you realize you've been doing it wrong for two years.

If I only bought one thing, I'd buy 4# if I fished 4wt and lighter and 6# if I fished 5-7wt.

There are many leader formulas available.
I would recommend George Harvey's

gfen wrote:

I found that I've been making my furled butts out of 6# mono, and the middle out of 4# mono.

I'll write up a dissertation on my way of doing it tonight, Afish's picture has his pretty much laid out completely.

And as for them being "stupid," I wish I'd have paid more attention to this when I started. You don't realize how important leaders are 'til you realize you've been doing it wrong for two years.

If I only bought one thing, I'd buy 4# if I fished 4wt and lighter and 6# if I fished 5-7wt.

dryflyguy wrote:

There are many leader formulas available.
I would recommend George Harvey's

In the upper right of the diagram there are recommendations for mono sizes. 1-3wt = 4lb / 4-6wt = 6lb / 7-8 wt = 8lb / 9-10wt = 10lb. Just a guideline...YMMV.

I use the furled leader as a leader butt really (usually 4-5' long). I often use existing leader formulas (such as the George Harvey one) to finish off the leader. When compared to knotted leaders using hard/stiff mono, I like the furled butts because they are more supple and easier to cast S-curves for less drag, have no memory, and float better. YMMV.

a little on a tangent, but for all those looking to become a guide:

my buddy attended sweetwater river travel's program 2 summers ago... the first thing they did after meeting:

the instructor gave them all a piece of butt section and said, with the material you have in your vest, build a tapered leader in less than 2 minutes.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I think I may order up some material here this week.

Do yourself a favor. Call FlyfishersParadise and order their leader tie kit. It comes with a booklet of formulas, 5 spools of maxima, and 5 spools of Climax tippet. $36.50.

Any suggestions as to where to get Maxima Chameleon other than Cabelas? Looks like it's backordered.

Perhaps an alternative?

So, when tapering your hand-tied leaders, what do you think the maximum decrease in diameter would work without losing energy transfer/turn-over strength? Let's say my butt end is a 40 lb. 0.024 diameter. Would it be acceptable to taper to a 20 lb. 0.017, then a 15 lb. 0.015, to 2x, etc...?

Also, do you recommend a nail, blood, or triple surgeon's knot to tie your pieces together?

I don't think I've ever seen a leader formula calling for more than 3 1,000's of an inch in diameter thickness between line sections. And most changes are two 1,000's - until you get to the end, which are normally only 1 1000.
And I've never tried anything with a larger difference than that.

I use blood knots between the sections

dryflyguy wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen a leader formula calling for more than 3 1,000's of an inch in diameter thickness between line sections. And most changes are two 1,000's - until you get to the end, which are normally only 1 1000.
And I've never tried anything with a larger difference than that.

I use blood knots between the sections

Very good point. Anything greater than 0.002'' in diameter differentiation between sections makes it very difficult to tie a good knot.

Hi there, folks.

I am trying to furl (what is the place before beginner?) but I can't get the strands to stay twisted. I am just trying to get the hand of it. I am using 4lb in both Eagle claw and Stren Sensor, both at least a couple of years old, and both continue to untwist. Any hints?

Thanks,

Dave

I also really want to learn to fish for trout. I have been fly fishing for panfish and bass for a 25 years, off and on. Tips and help appreciated more than words can say.

contenderhunter wrote:
Hi there, folks.

I am trying to furl (what is the place before beginner?) but I can't get the strands to stay twisted. I am just trying to get the hand of it. I am using 4lb in both Eagle claw and Stren Sensor, both at least a couple of years old, and both continue to untwist. Any hints?

I also really want to learn to fish for trout. I have been fly fishing for panfish and bass for a 25 years, off and on. Tips and help appreciated more than words can say.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Twist the lines IN THE SAME DIRECTION to furl them. Don't worry so much about building leaders. The store-bought ones work well enough.

Here is a primer on some basic fishing techniques:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

Good luck.

Back