Thinking about a kayak

T

tddeangelo

I live close to the Schuylkill, and I have a lot more opportunity (time-wise) to fish in the summer than I do in the spring.

I'm thinking about a sit-on-top fishing kayak to use on the river. My intent would be to be able to cover more water in an outing than I can cover when just wading.

This is warm water season only, in my mind. June-August, maybe September. Maybe May. Water temps most of this time period should be suitable for wet wading.

In my mind, a 'yak would be great to put it in, drift/paddle through flat/unproductive stretches and get to fish more than one or two limited areas in an outing. With a good anchor system, I would think I could (at least some of the time) get point upstream and anchor, fishing areas that might be too deep to wade to or fish effectively totally on foot. Otherwise, beach the boat and wade to fish, then get in and on to the next run.

Am I out in left field on this idea?

I kayak flyfished all my life in Florida before moving to PA. It's absolutely doable.

You've got two options you can treat it like a drift boat and fish from it or you can use it to get to gravel bars and fish from them as if they were flats.

Just make sure you don't have anything ontop of the kayak that will snag up your fly line or you'll end up frustrated quickly.

Yep...thankfully a pedal drive is likely worthless here, so that won't be a thing for me. My intent would be for the deck in front of the seat to remain clear. The boats that are basically flat-decked where you sit (instead of the ones with molded "slots" for each leg) are what I'm thinking of....just a clean, simple, flat surface with a suspension chair to sit on.

I'm following this thread. I'm disabled and fly fish as much as I can get to. I've always thought a sit on top type would be better for casting, but for me I would need a trolling motor of some type as I do not have the stamina to row anything anywhere.

It would seem to me the sit on top would make casting much easier as opposed to the "sit in" style.

Depending on the water you want to fish and the nature of your disability, the pedal kayaks might also be an option? There are canoe options, too.

I have a Hobie Compass (a pedal kayak) and fish the Susky, Juniata and Delaware Rivers all summer long. Not the Schuylkill lately, but only because the smallie fishing hasn't been that good for me to bother. Often fish alone so I launch and fish up and downstream a mile or two each way to cover water and return to the same launch so there's no need to have two vehicles at the launch and takeout. I have a great time with it all summer for smallie fishing and I've now added an electric motor, which makes its versatility to fish and range even greater.

I gotta get my jonboat in working order again...I've spent many days on the Susquehanna in it, and it does a great job of navigating that river.

I gotta get my jonboat in working order again...I've spent many days on the Susquehanna in it, and it does a great job of navigating that river.
Do it!! The Susky smallies are waiting.....

Depending on the water you want to fish and the nature of your disability, the pedal kayaks might also be an option? There are canoe options, too.
All appreciated suggestions but I can't walk far and peddling is just not doable. I'd have to go with a trolling motor and even that would need to have electrical "functions" (raise, lower) for me to use it.

I just don't know how stable a raised kayak is compared to a low one.

I don't own one, but check out NuCanoe fishing Kayaks. They claime to be stable enough to stand up to fish plus electric drive options.

I'm thinking about a sit-on-top fishing kayak to use on the river. My intent would be to be able to cover more water in an outing than I can cover when just wading.

In my mind, a 'yak would be great to put it in, drift/paddle through flat/unproductive stretches and get to fish more than one or two limited areas in an outing. With a good anchor system, I would think I could (at least some of the time) get point upstream and anchor, fishing areas that might be too deep to wade to or fish effectively totally on foot. Otherwise, beach the boat and wade to fish, then get in and on to the next run.

Am I out in left field on this idea?
Not out in left field at all. This is an easy and fun concept that many of us have done for years. You're on the right track.

If you plan to fish mainly by wading, things are much easier. I recommend you start with a small, very basic sit-on top style boat (kayaks have become much less expensive in recent years and you can get one like this at many big box stores). You should purchase launch permits or register the boat - this way you can use PFBC access points.

Among the most important issues to consider is how will you get it on and off your car. Older folks and those with some mobility issues can find this a challenge. A truck makes this easier. Transporting your boat by vehicle is a major issue and you should try lifting the boat and maybe consider roof-rack rollers (I have 'em on my SUV) to help with this. I use a rubberized carpet section to help with pushing boats up on to the roof.

After you have some basic yak fishing under your belt you may wish to upgrade to a larger and more sophisticated fishing kayak. These are more expensive and much heavier, but they have more space-storage and you can do some (limited) fishing standing up.

I don't own one, but check out NuCanoe fishing Kayaks. They claime to be stable enough to stand up to fish plus electric drive options.
I'm going to be selling my Nucanoe Unlimited as soon as I get my warranty hull for my Old Town Predator MX all setup. The Nucanoe is a nice kayak but I like my Old Town Predator MX much more. Other kayaks I've considered are Wilderness Systems Radar (they have other nice ones as well) and Jackson Coosa HD. I'm sure there are others similar but those are the ones that I've considered in the past.

I’ve been eyeing the Ascend 12T as a more affordable start-up option, but I’m open to ideas.

I have a pickup (5-1/2’ bed) and a RAV4 with a roof rack, so I have some options for transport.

If you get something so heavy that it will need a trailer, you really might want to think of a small aluminum boat with a trolling motor. The space and ease of use will surpass a kayak. Having fished from a kayak since before there were 'fishing' kayaks, it seems people buy a kayak to have a kayak and they should have bought a small boat. Standing is super important with fly casting. You'll want that.

If you get something so heavy that it will need a trailer, you really might want to think of a small aluminum boat with a trolling motor. The space and ease of use will surpass a kayak. Having fished from a kayak since before there were 'fishing' kayaks, it seems people buy a kayak to have a kayak and they should have bought a small boat. Standing is super important with fly casting. You'll want that.
With that being said, I would recommend the Jackson Killroy. It is easier to handle on land and lighter and paddles easier than sit on tops that I have/do own. Plus you can stabilize yourself better by pressing your shins out on the gunnels. Like fly fishing, kayak fishing trends are 30%-80% pure FAD, like red hooks on bass lures., So everything you see is S.O,T. THere is a lot of room for Sit-in kayaks for fishing.

With that being said, I would recommend the Jackson Killroy. It is easier to handle on land and lighter and paddles easier than sit on tops that I have/do own. Plus you can stabilize yourself better by pressing your shins out on the gunnels. Like fly fishing, kayak fishing trends are 30%-80% pure FAD, like red hooks on bass lures., So everything you see is S.O,T. THere is a lot of room for Sit-in kayaks for fishing.
Sit in kayaks for the most part are extremely uncomfortable. I'll never do a sit in kayak again. The Jackson Coosa is manageable to load into the back of a truck along with my Old Town Predator MX. Most 12' and under sit on top kayaks are light enough that most can load them into the back of a truck.

Also as far as brands, Ascend is about the last of the major brands I'd take a look at. I'd stay away from Lifetime and Ascend kayaks.

I have a sit in kayak, a sit on top kayak, and a canoe.. For fly fishing the canoe wins hands-down..

Funny you say that about canoes….

An Old Town Saranac 160 with stabilizers in good shape for a good price just appeared for sale near me.

Looks like a great option, and at 89lbs hull weight, still movable by just myself. I’d have to think up how transport would work with my vehicles but it might be perfect for what I want to do.

I have a Jackson Coosa (the original, not the HD). Yes I fish the skuke for trout (above Auburn reservoir) and bass (from Auburn to Hamburg typically). Did Tionesta Creek last weekend. Did the Pine through the upper gorge this spring. Swatara up around Pine Grove. Have done the Clarion. Been wanting to hit the Little J through the gorge, as well as Penns from Poe down to Cherry Run from a yak but haven't got to them yet. That's the size of water I like to target personally, though yes, I've done big water like the Susquehanna and lower Juniata as well.

Sit on tops are much superior to sit in's for fishing generally. The seat is important for comfort, typically the separate chairs you put on are much more comfortable than anything molded in, and have the added advantage of having high positions for fishing and low positions for running rapids. Pedals are useless on smaller water unless they go completely within the hull. In summer in riffles you will be scraping a lot, even getting out and dragging on occasion, and even a flap that folds up against the body will come off and be gone forever, as a buddy with a Hobie found out. Not an issue if you stay in the same pool like Afish, but if you are running distances through riffles it is. A trolling motor is a good idea if you can use it only when you want it. Put it on for lakes or big rivers, leave it off if running smaller rivers and creeks as it lowers your draft just from weight alone. Draft is important. I want to float freely in about 2" of water. Any more and you will hang up on every riff and even in many flats. At 2", you're still hitting rocks, but when you hang up on a rock you can typically lunge forward by shifting your weight and not have to actually get out and drag. Most of the time. Even if you have to get out and drag, it's usually only a few feet, just to get over a lip. If it needed just 1 inch more draft, a few feet turns into a 30 yards real quick. So I pay attention to keeping my gear light too for that reason.

You will get dumped on occasion. Don't worry about it too much. Almost always it'll be in shallow/fastish water due to hitting a rock sideways, or swept into the shore. It's almost refreshing and you just laugh and jump back in the boat. Just make sure you have everything tied down. But I tend to avoid moving water in winter when the water is cold.

As far as stability, my boat is 33" wide I think. It's standable for me, I'm 5'8"ish and 185 lbs. But it's not real comfortable to actually fish while standing. A wider boat or a shorter lighter person changes things, so you gotta figure out whats right for you. Anchors are doable, and a drift chain works well too, I think a little better for moving water (the Jackson's come with a chain chute). Never use either in truly fast water for safety reasons, but in a moderate current the chain will slow you waaaayyyy down and keep the boat oriented, in slow water it'll stop ya.

Longer boats are heavier and less maneuverable but paddle faster. Wider boats are heavier and slower, but more stable. Just trade-offs. Height leads to wind issues, which is hell on a lake or large river like the Susquehanna but not a big deal on smaller water. Weight is a huge issue if you are cartopping, or expecting to have to portage around dams. I'm 42 years old and fairly strong, and the Jackson is mid 60 lb range. That is as heavy a boat as I want to drag around portages or cartop. It's on the light side for a fishing yak, and as heavy as I wanna muscle around. Dragging it around a lengthy portage is a no go, I can drag 100 yards or so though. When the girl is with, she dreads carrying it (with 2 people!). On the other hand I got my kids and gf a 40ish lb cheapo Pelican. I can carry that distances alone and put it up on the car from the side!!! That 25 lb difference is amazing. I take it off the car, balance it on my head and hike to the stream, and toss it in. When alone I take it sometimes. It's not as stable and the seat sucks for an all day trip though.

And one last thing. Get out and fish sometimes. So often, I'm floating, and the best runs are in faster water, when you have the paddle out to negotiate the riff. By the time you recognize a spot you wanna cast to, put the paddle down, and pick up the rod, you've blown past it. Maybe over it and spooked it. If you know a stream well, park the boat, fish the good spots, jump back in and float down to the next.

My schedule is kind of crazy. But I DO have 2 yaks. If you wanted to join me one day on the skuke to try things out I'd be game. Auburn to Port Clinton is about 7 miles, typically 3 hrs of paddling depending on flows (then add fishing time). It's good bass water. For a shorter, trial float in an evening after work or something could do something in Reading. Jim Dietrich park is an easy put in, and there are lots of take out options in and around Reading. Fishing is only so so in the area though.

Last edited:
Back