The Nale Brothers

Meanwhile.......I am waiting for the fly fisherman vs the filthy center pinners discussion.......:)

Biggie wrote:
Meanwhile.......I am waiting for the fly fisherman vs the filthy center pinners discussion.......:)

Lol!!

PennKev wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
Is that a problem?

It certainly wouldn't bother me. Hell, I may have even said that once while steelhead fishing (only I would have said "fly rod"). I didn't realize it was a problem.

Would it matter if I said that I used to keep a spinning rod in my truck just in case I had the opportunity to fish?

How about if I said I have been known to keep a couple Joe's Flies in my vest (open water, of course).

This us versus them is total BS in both directions. Sure I partake in the occasional jab on or off the water, but it's all in fun.

The stick doesn't make the person... Unless of course you use bamboo. ;-)

You missed the point. You said that most proficient spin fisherman can fly fish. I poked fun at that by referencing all the Joe Blow fisherman who always mention their fly rod ownership but never use them. They just happen to say "fly pole" a lot and I think that is funny too.

Actually I didn't miss that point. As someone guilty of referring to tenkara as a "crappie pole," I just decided not to go there. ;-)

IMHO a crappie pole is any fly rod I continually pass over for one of my others.
“ This is a crappie pole in the wind, I better take my six weight.”

In other news, what equipment others choose to use is no consequence to me. If they fish worms and let there fish go, it’s far better than a guy who drags a ten inch browns around for fifteen minutes on his fly pole so his buddy sees he actually caught one.

Count em, don’t count em, say you got 473 just around the bend...
Whatever. Have fun.
It’s just fishing. It’s important , but in the grand scheme, it doesn’t matter all that much.

Regardless of how many fish I actually catch, when asked streamside by another angler or passerby, my answer is always the same...

"Eh, a couple little ones."

Sometimes this is 100% true. Sometimes, with an odor of skunk in the air, I wish it was true. Sometimes, behind a thin smile, it's the truth I wish to portray.

I always claim it's really slow. Typically gets people to move away.

Quick question..... If Frank is fishing a homemade spinner fly on a fly pole using only mono, is he fly fishing, spin fishing or is he a filthy Pinner?

Can you be a pinner without a "strike indicator?"

Now that I will agree with. I don't care if I've caught 100 trout it's always.... "Only a few here and there today, hasn't really been a great day'.

FarmerDave wrote;

Actually pinners prefer to call them floats. I assume you are just fooling with us but I have seen tons of pinners on the Salmon River, the Catt, and to a lesser extent on Elk Creek and none of them have ever used what we fly fishers would call a "strike indicator".

I say pretty much what others have indicated they say when asked about their success on the water. I'll either say "I caught a couple little ones". Which is often very true or I will say "I just started".

Funny story about asking how I'm doing. I was on the upper Delaware anchored having a beer goofing off watching a riser a little out of reach. This was early, before 8am. A guy in a pontoon floated by asked if I caught anything. I held up the beer and said just a buzz that's all I ever catch. He replied with some tips on leader, fly selection, etc. He was friendly and honestly trying to help, not being a jerk at all. He must not have saw the riser and anchored up almost on top of it and started casting. No big deal, it happens.

I floated past him around a bend and nailed two nice fish in two casts, both bank risers if I recall correctly. In hindsight very lucky and made me look a lot better than I really am. I didn't know the guy in the pontoon had moved downstream and watched all of this. He floated close to me laughing and said just a buzz huh? Then asked me about my fly, leader, etc.

wbranch wrote:
FarmerDave wrote;

Actually pinners prefer to call them floats. I assume you are just fooling with us but I have seen tons of pinners on the Salmon River, the Catt, and to a lesser extent on Elk Creek and none of them have ever used what we fly fishers would call a "strike indicator".

Yea, I was fooling. But when I steelhead fish, I often use a small thingamabobber or whatever they are called, which I do see pinners use.

Then there was the time I was fishing the Grand with my little brother. He prefers spinning gear. I chose the spinning gear as well because of the high water. We came across a fly angler who was using a Sage rod and aa large stick bobber as a strike indicator. I teased him by saying "that's an interesting "strike indicator." He said he found it, and it was the only think he had that would stay afloat with all the weight he had to use.

To that, I said I was only joking and actually prefer fly fishing. But because of the high water I chose the spinning rod, and left the "fly pole" in the truck.;-)

True story, but I may have said fly rod.

Good story WB. Gotta love it when that happens.

When people ask how I am doing, I usually answer... "Great. Way better than being at work.";-)

If they ask if I am having any luck, I usually answer honestly, which is usually similar to some of the answers above.

If it is someone I know, I may embellish. ;-)

A 5 year old kid can catch a fish on a spinner. Cast it out, reel it back, pretty simple...

A 5 year old kid can catch a fish on a fly. Cast it out, strip it back, pretty simple...

I find it very hard to believe that anybody on the planet actually averages 100 fish per day, unless extrapolating (which to me is like, Huh? Why?)

Like I caught 5 fish in 4 hours so that equates to a 30 fish day. Or I snuck out on my lunch break, got 1 in that hour so I can now tell my work buddies that I just had a 24 fish day.

Maybe I am misinterpreting but moral of the story is: that sample post sounds snotty and I’d walk away from that conversation in about the first 2 seconds. In other terms, I avoid an average of 43,200 stupid conversations per day.

jacob wrote:
I find it very hard to believe that anybody on the planet actually averages 100 fish per day, unless extrapolating (which to me is like, Huh? Why?)

Like I caught 5 fish in 4 hours so that equates to a 30 fish day. Or I snuck out on my lunch break, got 1 in that hour so I can now tell my work buddies that I just had a 24 fish day.

Maybe I am misinterpreting but moral of the story is: that sample post sounds snotty and I’d walk away from that conversation in about the first 2 seconds. In other terms, I avoid an average of 43,200 stupid conversations per day.

^ :lol:

Frank's way of fishing and record keeping is not for everyone. Not that it matters, but from my take, he counts only actual fishing time. In other words if he had a conversation with you on the stream (however short that may be...lol), he would subtract that time, as well he subtracts the time to hike to the stream, or to take some photos, etc., and just count the time he was actually fishing.

I believe his numbers 100%! That would make him one of the most prolific trout fisherman on the planet. With that being said, I have no interest in counting fish or trying to maximize my number of fish caught. That's his thing, and he's really good at it.

I will say, many of the guys that actually know him, think a lot of him, so he's probably a decent guy. I for one would be really interested in talking to him. Unless or until that happens, I'll just give him his props and keep casting.

jacob wrote:

The sample post you refer to (here in post #8) may sound snotty, but keep in mind that he was answering MT_flyfisher's post, which was not quoted but was clearly green-snotty. Why don't you go back to the link mentioned in post #8 and read the entire topic. Be sure to note who started the topic and ask yourself why he even started the topic (and on a Washington State website, no less). Then come back on here and tell us if you think MT_flyfisher's snotty post deserved a snotty reply, or worse.

In the future, please try to keep things in context...

Actually, Nale's "snotty" response is educational (and accurate) if you keep an open mind.

This is a fly-fishing forum.... Who cares what this guy can do with his *spinners*.

This is like talking about rifle hunting on a bow hunting forum.

Driftingdunn, the moderator of that Washington forum pm’ed me and asked for my permission to post that story on his board. I had NOTHING to do with it other than saying “ok.” He seemed to be a pretty nice dude.

Back