The Nale Brothers

In response to him or anyone complaining about ff only sections, that I disagree with. There is SO much water in PA, I think complaining about that is ridiculous. There’s plenty of water for all. Some fly only or other reg waters hurt no one.

That reminds me of the folks who are always complaining about how much water is posted. That’s bs. The landowner can do as they please, and yet again, even with a lot of posted water, if you can’t find quality fishing in this state open to the public you aren’t looking hard enough.

Funny that Frank doesn't even have to weigh in for this to go multiple pages. It's gotta be good for fishing, in general.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I should say a disclaimer though.
I don't actually fish clousers but I'm about to embark on an tying bonanza of articulated clousers and a "modified" bubble head clouser to make it sink/ float, should be a very active fly underwater.

Anyways, I can do that with lightly weighted Wolly buggers (make them jump out if the watet ) and i have caught more than a few big browns doing it. point was you can take thoughts and approaches from great spin fisherman and apply it to the next level of streamer fishing.

Sal, I understand your point. I just wanted to express what I said for the sake of viewers that don't have a lot of experience.

I certainly am not against fishing with spinning rods. Fished the lower Susky for decades with a spinning rod. My father, brothers and I loved to fish Lake Clarke plying the York County steep banks for smallies. We started at Long Level and drifted downstream to Safe Harbor Dam. Loved casting a 3 1/2" floating Rapala tight against the rocks. Let it sit, then twitch it, then retrieve. Or live crayfish fished under a bobber.

His numbers are unbelievable. Beyond reasonable comprehension.
Has anyone gone with him to verify his claimed catching rates?

What a great story, complete with pictures, that would be!

Many years ago, I contacted the Pittsburgh Post Gazette about him, probably because I wanted to believe him. I told the fishing editor Deborah Weisberg about his amazing numbers. She responded, said it was indeed astonishing and said she would have to look into it.
Never heard back.

It may be the inherent skeptic in me, but I find his anecdotal stories difficult, if not physically impossible, to believe. And I don't.

It may be the inherent skeptic in me, but I find his anecdotal stories difficult, if not physically impossible, to believe. And I don't.

That's where I am at.

Could this guy catch tons of trout using spinners? Sure. Could he consistently average 12 trout an hour? Sure. What turns me off is that he claims he's fished (correct me if I'm wrong) +2,000 days without getting skunked. That's B.S.

Just my opinion. Don't really care much either way.

Guys, if you can't comprehend the numbers, then you must not understand what he does... From late may - september, I spin fish 4-5 days per week for trout and fly fish 1-2 days per week. I actually started my trout career as a fly fishermen, and now I do more spin fishing, but never gave up FFing. It takes a few seasons of learning, but anybody that puts in the effort can catch numbers that he claims to catch. If your not too far away from me, I'll take you some day

Whether he's telling the truth or not, it's ultimately irrelevant. This is a fly fishing site. He has made it known he has no interest in fly fishing. Therefore, he simply comes here to troll.

Please don’t confuse me with fly fishermen who fumble around for ten minutes getting ready for their next cast.

After reading that entire tirade I would never confuse you with a fly fisherman.

When I'm having a good day and have landed maybe half a dozen trout I'm having so much fun that I lose track of fish landed and no longer care about how many I'm catching.

Sal, tell me about that fish.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Just would like to read something useful from the "master" for a change....

It's there. You just have to apply filters, similar to when I read the news.;-)

Brown71 wrote:
In response to him or anyone complaining about ff only sections, that I disagree with. There is SO much water in PA, I think complaining about that is ridiculous. There’s plenty of water for all. Some fly only or other reg waters hurt no one.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of tackle restrictions. They may have their place as a conservation tool, but other than that, I'm not a fan.

On the other hand, if I was a spin fisherman, and wanted to fish a FF only, I'd just don the tweed and grab a fly rod. LOL!

It's all fishing.

Most proficient spin fisherman also know how to fly fish, and I am pretty sure that includes Frank. He just doesn't like it as much.

BTW, I have a bamboo spinning rod that I plan to restore. Maybe I'll attach a Zebco 202 and donate it for the raffle at the Spring Jam. ;-)

FarmerDave :

Most proficient spin fisherman also know how to fly fish...

Yeah, and when they see any of us fly fishing they'll be sure to mention the "fly pole" the have at home / back at the car. :roll:

Is that a problem?

It certainly wouldn't bother me. Hell, I may have even said that once while steelhead fishing (only I would have said "fly rod"). I didn't realize it was a problem.

Would it matter if I said that I used to keep a spinning rod in my truck just in case I had the opportunity to fish?

How about if I said I have been known to keep a couple Joe's Flies in my vest (open water, of course).

This us versus them is total BS in both directions. Sure I partake in the occasional jab on or off the water, but it's all in fun.

The stick doesn't make the person... Unless of course you use bamboo. ;-)

FarmerDave wrote:

BTW, I have a bamboo spinning rod that I plan to restore. Maybe I'll attach a Zebco 202 and donate it for the raffle at the Spring Jam. ;-)

That 202 will require a bamboo casting rod not a spinning rod. Jeeesh, what kind of fisherman would put a 202 on a spinning rod?

1fish wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

That 202 will require a bamboo casting rod not a spinning rod. Jeeesh, what kind of fisherman would put a 202 on a spinning rod?

LOL!

But now that I think of it, I might actually have a bamboo casting rod, too. Can't remember. One of these days, I'll revive that hobby.

A good spin Fisher CAN run up staggering numbers. I floated the Susky wit a guide that used a fly rod. I rowed and occasionally cast from the rowers seat. I fished about 1/4 the time and out produced the fly fisherman 4 or 5 to 1.

And now I admit that I've gone to the dark side.....
Last year I took my nephew to the upper Delaware system. He's an extremely proficient smallie angler with the spin rod. I had to lure him with the promise that he could spin fish ONE pool during our float. After 3 miles of nymphing /dry fly fishing, he'd netted one rainbow of 16". As we entered a big slow pool, I told him this was his spin opportunity. He began casting and ended up hooking 6-7 fish in less than 500 yards. 2 fish made it to the net including a 21" brown. I made him put it away and go back to nymphing. A mile later, he'd hooked up with a monster brown on a stonefly nymph. The 24"-25" fish broke him off at the net. He sulked for 2 miles and didn't fish but did tell me he could have caught 75 fish if I let him keep spin fishing. I explained that we weren't out to set any records but to enjoy the experience. He did manage 17 fly rod trout in 3 days on a river system that is know for it's difficulty. The 2 biggest fish also were taken on flies. Each can be effective in the right conditions.

FarmerDave wrote:
Is that a problem?

It certainly wouldn't bother me. Hell, I may have even said that once while steelhead fishing (only I would have said "fly rod"). I didn't realize it was a problem.

Would it matter if I said that I used to keep a spinning rod in my truck just in case I had the opportunity to fish?

How about if I said I have been known to keep a couple Joe's Flies in my vest (open water, of course).

This us versus them is total BS in both directions. Sure I partake in the occasional jab on or off the water, but it's all in fun.

The stick doesn't make the person... Unless of course you use bamboo. ;-)

You missed the point. You said that most proficient spin fisherman can fly fish. I poked fun at that by referencing all the Joe Blow fisherman who always mention their fly rod ownership but never use them. They just happen to say "fly pole" a lot and I think that is funny too.

This is by far the most pointless thread on this forum...

Back