The Fly Fishing Show - Lancaster, PA

Just took my first sip! Was watching lefty cast, very cool, never tire of seeing him shyly the entire line so easily.

Be there in an hour or so!

Couldn't make it, hope you guys have fun.

If you guys are here I'm wearing a black grip and rip hoody and blue sweat pants walking around. If ya see me introduce yourself

Well I just got back from the show and had a great time. I got a chance to talk with FrequentTyer and watched a few ties nice guy. I also ran into some great deals on hooks and other tying supplies. There was also a great deal on Simms G4 waders reg $549 show special $379 and Simms Freestones for $129. Meet alot of nice tyers and learned a few tying tips in the process. One thing I thought was a waste of space was the the DUAL casting ponds. I was there from 9-3 and never saw both ponds used at the same time. Less casting= more vendors. One thing that really got me mad was I was looking at some really nice CDC in one of the fly booths when a guy just reached over my shoulder and grabbed all 10 or 15 packs and walked away. Me and 2 other guys that were standing there were like WTF. As the guy was paying he said to us "you should have been quicker". It took alot for me to keep my mouth shut! Oh well I hope that guy loses every fly he ties with that CDC! Over all I think the show was a great success and it"s only gonna get better.

I am sad to report that I am home reviewing my stash from the show. Dr. Wit at Spring House Taproom ended my night early :-( 05:00 comes early for work anyway, so I must behave. Hope to meet up with everyone at the Jam in May!

Overall, I thought it was a good show. I've never been to Somerset, but can only surmise that it's not as big as that show. However, I was able to move around the show with ease and not feel crowded. The venue is top-notch as well. I got to talk with "Frequenttyer" as well as Mike Heck. Watched a casting demo by Lefty Kreh which was the first time I'd seen him.

This was my first fly-fishing show, so I didn't have any expectations. I found it to be enjoyable, and picked up a few more materials for tying, as well as a spare BBS spool I've been looking for. I saw a few other PAFF guys at the show (Krayfish, and RickinPa), as well as FrequentTyer, who was tying up some nice flies. Lefty Kreh did a casting demonstration where he casted a tight loop pretty much the length of the pool with half his rod. At that point I realized just how bad I suck! lol

I also enjoyed lunch at Annie B's with tocar, bikerfish, and TimRobinson. It was nice to meet you guys. I hope to see you all at the Jam.

I spent the day at the show, thought it was well done, Hope they have it here again. Picked up some tying material and a Heddon 300 reel to add to my collection, altho I'll probably use it. Only met one other member, wbranch and we had a good chat. Hope to hook up with him and do some fishing this coming season. Watched the tiers do some awesome stuff.

Had a good time. Talked to lots of tyers. My son took a ton of pics of the flies. learned lots of new techniques and was to improve current techniques.

Watched Bob C.'s casting and tying demonstrations. My older son is a Clouser minnow nut, it's his favorite fly to tie so it was cool for him to get to see Bob tie one.

Stayed for the film fest too. I saw it ant Somerset but wanted the boys to see it too. Only downpoint was the running commentary from the drunks behind us. Unfortunately had a bunch of drinkers setting behind me at the Somerset show too.

Chuck Furminsky was standing outside the film fest when we were leaving, told him the show was good and asked if they were coming back to Lancaster again next year, he said they hoped to. The facility was top notch and really is much nicer than the Doubletree in Someset. Would be nice to see both continue and have Lancaster grow.

delta_dog wrote:
...One thing I thought was a waste of space was the the DUAL casting ponds. I was there from 9-3 and never saw both ponds used at the same time. Less casting= more vendors...

you got it backwards

lack of vendors/vendor interest = dual casting ponds

I think the new location might have kept some vendors away but I still think it was much better that last year at VF. It seemed more open. Still I think I got a good deal on the products that I purchased.

for me, dual casting ponds = much better show. One of the main reasons I go to shows is to check out the new (and old) toys, and what better way to check out the sticks but to cast them? I suppose catching trouts would be an even better way, but ya gotta make do with whatcha got.

The number and quantity of vendors was pretty good, especially considering the fact that this was the first at this really excellent venue. I even got free street parking close by. The presentations looked pretty good though less numerous than at Somerset.

The FilmFest was outstanding. The quality of the shorts as well as the features was amazing. And it was great meeting up with fellow PAFFers and assorted buddies. I didn't even mind missing being on the water on such a gorgeously warm and sunny day.

tl
les

Guys so sorry I couldn't make the show this weekend. So bummed I couldn't get either day in. Would have enjoyed catching up. I ended up with a close family member in the hospital starting Friday evening. Very long weekend, but things headed in the right direction and we are home now.

hope all is well, we'll keep you in our thoughts.

Had a great time at the show on Saturday. This was a smaller, more intimate version of the Fly Fishing Show than Somerset. I really enjoyed this setting. Sat in some great lectures, watched some awesome tiers, and enjoyed myself at the IF4 after the show. Also met Lestrout which was a pleasure.

Dave K, I'm sorry to hear that and I hope all is well.
I though the show was fantastic and enjoyed meeting a good number of guys from the forum. I thought that the venue was a great choice and it was good to talk to people from places like western PA and Maryland that would not normally have made a show. It looks like the show will be returning to Lancaster next year. And I have to agree with Lestrout on the dual casting ponds. You could actually get time on the pond if you wanted to try a rod.
Tying at the show was great, but it pretty much prevented me from going to any of the presentations. I did manage to slip away long enough to pick up some materials and a few other items. But it was worth it to be able to talk fly tying with a lot of like-minded folks.

had a great time at the show, good getting together tocar, zenherper and timrobinson for some lunch. got some good deals on stuff I didn't need! had a great dinner thanks to timrobinsons suggestion, and had some more excellent beer.
wanted to fish sunday on the way home, but woke up rather tired and not exactly 100 percent :pint:
glad to hear it might be returning next year, the facility was first class all the way, our room at the hotel was fantastic, and good eateries and drinkeries within walking distance.
Dave, sorry you couldn't make it, hoping for a speedy recovery for you family member.

I attended. It was my 1st Fly Fishing show. The facility was great. The vendors were great. The fly tyers were approachable. Sat in on a few seminars that provided good info.
The only thing I thought was lacking was I didn't see much on local guides.
I will attend next year.

I thought the food left a lot to be desired. But then again, perhaps there wasn't much of a demand for food. Soft pretzels and soda didn't seem to cut it. Perhaps I missed the "main meal"?

My first show and I loved it. I hope they come back to Lancaster. Spent a lot of time watching the fly tying and attending the forums.

The food/drink area was terrible. For anyone outside of the Lancaster area the Central Market which is open on Saturday is 30 yards away.

I saw the employees of the venue stocking the soda case with warm soda and walked down to Rite Aid (one block away) for a cheaper cold one.

Back