The Delaware R. stripers are in

I hope the shad start finding their way up the Skuke now that the ladders are in. Last year they shocked it during the run and I think they only found two above the ladder. I might give it a go below the dam, but hitting the Conshy area would be a much more convienent stop after work.

Bam: Here is a hint regarding the Schuylkill R. American shad. Over 2500 went through the Fairmount Dam fishway last spring (2010). In years when this occurs, where is the next logical upriver place for an angler to look for them?

Anyone with any suggestions for spots near washington crossing?

scudders falls would be the closest. when the river is back down to normal fish around the island between the falls and 95 bridge area. lots of stripers there and nice sizes. caught a 25 lber there.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I watched the Fairmount Dam cam for about 3 minutes the other day and counted 13 shad pass through. Don't know what species, but I'm assuming American. Most seemed to be in the 12-16 inch range.

bam wrote:
Don't want to hijack the thread, but I watched the Fairmount Dam cam for about 3 minutes the other day and counted 13 shad pass through. Don't know what species, but I'm assuming American. Most seemed to be in the 12-16 inch range.

There were shad everywhere just below the dam when I was there the other day. The two I foul hooked and brought in were probably on about 16" and the other about 22".

I might go back to target the shad instead of the stripers.

any recommended flies for shad? I know the shad darts are very popular, so I'm guessing maybe some white bucktail or marabou tied on a chartruse or red jig head...

These are what I have used for years;

Attachments

• 2-11-2011 018.jpg
    2-11-2011 018.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2-11-2011 019.jpg
    2-11-2011 019.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 3
Back