The classics...

sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223

With all this talk of the new stuff, I'd like to know if anyone still ties the classics? Also, if anyone knows where I can find about a 20"x22"x2" shadowbox for less than $75, I'd be grateful, as I'm working on a display of classic/traditional wet flies...

And, seeing as I love posting pics of my flies, here is a #18 Royal Coachman I just whipped up...

Attachments

• RC_18.jpg
    RC_18.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 11
Very nice fly! i haven't gotten into tying many of the classics myself...yet. though, since i finally made my first trip to some wild brookie territory this past weekend (and from what i've read on here) a box of those flies might be in the making.

Sparse Grey Matter
google and goggle

Looks nice, I havn't tied many classic flies in recent years, most of the ones I have are over 30 years old, I still have them in my fly boxes. I've gone to tying mostly parachute or caddis type dry flies.

I've been waiting for you to post some classic wet flies. Did you do any Parmachine Belles yet? If you do any post it.

having a little trouble finding good dyed duck quills and dyed red hen hackle, but I guess I could try some red rooster hackle fibers tied in as a beard...mostly all I've gotten to tie thus far are a Royal Coachman, Lord Baltimore (with starling as a substitute for jungle ****), and a McGinty. Tied up a bunch of classic dries this morning, though, Banks fly, Barber Pole, Beaverkill, Catskill, Geenwell's Glory, Seth Green, Little Marryatt, and LaBranche...

Try www.greatfeathers.com for classic materials. There isn't much they don't have. Located in Maryland.
mike

Here's a classic Marbury patter I tied... "The Cassard".
cassard.jpg

mike

On a blind eye hook, too!

gfen wrote:

On a blind eye hook, too!

I'm not that fancy... the hook was a gift. Thought I would put it to good use:)
mike

Royal Coachman is my favorite Dry fly, hands down.

nice ties i dont tie too man "classics" i just never got into it one of these days ill get off my lazy butt and tie some nice wet flies as far as classic dries especially one with upright quill wings mine always land on their heads or get the razor but again very nice ties

A former ichtyology instructor of mine absolutely loves the royal wulff. Look into his fly box (if you were so lucky) and he'd have, i swear, about a dozen size 12 R Wulffs, a dozen 14s, and that was it. Except of course the couple of Adams thrown in there, but he swore by the Wulff! They're fun to tie. Funny, what was once a standard is now something "different" to tie for fun.

Just to revive the thread...my first attempt at a married wing, a little play on a classic wet fly, loosely inspired by the German flag(even though I realized I married the colors in the wrong order , black/gold/red instead of black/red/gold)...

Attachments

• marriedwing_1.jpg
    marriedwing_1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4
sniperfreak223 wrote:
Just to revive the thread...my first attempt at a married wing, a little play on a classic wet fly, loosely inspired by the German flag(even though I realized I married the colors in the wrong order (black/gold/red instead of black/red/gold)...

Belgium...close enough. Nice fly!

okay, perhaps this dry will redeem my German heritage after that little oops on the wet...

Attachments

• germany_dry.jpg
    germany_dry.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 4
Back