Tenkara Fishing

Cool that I chose this time to start revisiting PA Fly Fish. The past couple years, I've gone from fishing 50-70 days a year to 3 or 4 if I'm lucky. Life getting in the way I guess.
Anyway, I've been banging around getting a Tenakara rod after doing a lot of research on it. Seems like the traditionalist's hate it but the people who actually try and learn how to use it love it. My wife made the decision for me and bought a Dragontail rod for Christmas.
Honestly, I can't wait to try it. I'm heading to Muddy Creek this Thursday to try it out!

John touches on an interesting question...

Is Tenkara flyfishing in the regulatory sense?

What kind of line is is used in Tenkara fishing?

I realize there is no reel involved.

remember that the FFO rules state. Fly Rods, Fly Reels and Fly lines with a maximum of 18' of leader.

I don't Tenkara so I don't know but you might get the attention of a WCO in an FFO area. Might want to ask.

jpavoncello wrote:
I'm heading to Muddy Creek this Thursday to try it out!

Be careful down there on Muddy. I hear the creek steward can be quite crotchety!!! :-D

That is a very good question, and one I'm going to check into.

I looked up FFO on the Commission website, this is the only regulation that I could find

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.

Wow, quick response from the PA F&B Commission! Answers that question!

Tenkara is considered a legal method of fly-fishing and would be allowed in fly-Fishing only waters.

Thomas J Burrell, Captain

Waterways Conservation Officer Manager

Back