Tackle and Fly shops open during quarantine

larkmark

larkmark

I am not exactly clear on how the closings work and if it is voluntary at this point but I am sure that fly shops being fully open is not a great idea. Online buying seems like a better idea.

I think right now just place a call and you will see most flyshops will be willing to help you anyway they can to accommodate you. I also think supporting places that count on seasonal fisherman traveling to there destination are gonna take a hit atleast for now . So support these business if you can .

FYI, I received this e-mail from TCO this morning:

NEW TCO HOURS FOR ALL LOCATIONS
(Except Haverford)
Monday - Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday - 10am - 3pm

Combating the Corona Virus
Please note that ALL TCO Locations - EXCEPT Haverford, will remain open during this stressful and concerning time. TCO Haverford will be open for curbside pick-up only.

Please call that store for more details and to work with our store employees. Store hours in Haverford will be 10am - 2pm.

We have maintained a clean environment and are sanitizing surfaces daily. We are proud to be part of the solution to your stress and want to make sure that you are able to get the supplies needed to keep you on the water and smiling.

We also understand that you might not feel comfortable visiting a store... NO PROBLEM! Just call one of the store numbers below and we will personally shop with you on the phone. You can arrange for a pick up outside the store or we will ship to your house for FREE!

We appreciate all your support over the years... and during this time!

Sincerely,

Tony Gehman
Founder - TCO Fly Shop

Bruce at Penns Creek Anglers is open, call or check FB for hours.

From Spruce Creek Outfitters FB >

Spruce Creek Outfitters
18 hrs ·
Per PA State mandate, the shop is currently closed. Also, Allan and I are not getting any younger ???? and fall into that “old people” range. But seriously we felt it better being safe than sorry. At this point they are saying 14 days. We will keep you posted. Any questions or if we can get you something, leave a message and we will contact you. Thanks!
Allan and Pam

It's best to call any shop first before assuming they are open.

Deliveries of goods while comforting are not necessarily 100% safe:

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

You might want to quarantine those packages or at least disinfect them.

Curb side pick up seems like a good option. But also not entirely safe.
I was about to order waders from Patagonia and their site says they are not taking orders and are shut down.

afishinado wrote:
FYI, I received this e-mail from TCO this morning:

NEW TCO HOURS FOR ALL LOCATIONS
(Except Haverford)
Monday - Saturday: 9am - 5pm
Sunday - 10am - 3pm

Combating the Corona Virus
Please note that ALL TCO Locations - EXCEPT Haverford, will remain open during this stressful and concerning time. TCO Haverford will be open for curbside pick-up only.

Please call that store for more details and to work with our store employees. Store hours in Haverford will be 10am - 2pm.

We have maintained a clean environment and are sanitizing surfaces daily. We are proud to be part of the solution to your stress and want to make sure that you are able to get the supplies needed to keep you on the water and smiling.

We also understand that you might not feel comfortable visiting a store... NO PROBLEM! Just call one of the store numbers below and we will personally shop with you on the phone. You can arrange for a pick up outside the store or we will ship to your house for FREE!

We appreciate all your support over the years... and during this time!

Sincerely,

Tony Gehman
Founder - TCO Fly Shop

I remain baffled by what is considered essential and non-essential. A fly shop is 100% non-essential; yet these businesses send out notices that they are staying open. This seems like a direct thumbing of the nose at the governor's order. Cleaning surfaces daily? If customer 1 that enters the store today at 8AM is infected, then I guess customers tomorrow will be ok, but what about the customers for the current day?

salmonoid wrote:

I remain baffled by what is considered essential and non-essential. A fly shop is 100% non-essential; yet these businesses send out notices that they are staying open. This seems like a direct thumbing of the nose at the governor's order. Cleaning surfaces daily? If customer 1 that enters the store today at 8AM is infected, then I guess customers tomorrow will be ok, but what about the customers for the current day?

I agree.

I see no harm in getting out to fish, hike, boat or even just taking a walk without interacting with other people, but any store selling nonessential items or providing nonessential services should close.

https://www.hatchmag.com/blog/fly-fishing-through-pandemic/7715008

I see no issues. It's a simple matter of avoiding large crowds, keeping a little distance from others, washing your hands and not touching your hands to your eyes or mouth after touching community items until you wash/sanatize your hands. Pretty much no different than normal prepandemic life. Everybody is acting as if this is transmitted through sight and sound. Prevention is very simple and effective, why complicate it with hyperbole.

As far as I last heard the governor said he was not going to enforce business closings so the choice is left up to the various businesses.

What all of these D-bag heroes who remain open conveniently neglect to mention is their employees have to pick and pack those orders and receive & unpack the stuff they still feel compelled to peddle.

I hate the closures as much as the next guy but stuff like fly shops being open is beyond ridiculous and irresponsible.

If and when this thing is over, if I am still around I WILL remember the D-bags and reward them by never shopping at their establishments again.

I am fortunate my company is still running, in fact I'll be working weekends as well as daily overtime. We are in warehousing and supply chain for agriculture so we are considered essential.

A lot of shops around Lancaster, including most, if not all beer distributors are remaining opening. There is NOTHING stopping anyone from remaining open.

I'm in the same boat as you Hopback, air operations UPS Philadelphia. This past week has seen a substantial increase in volume, foriegn and domestic.

Continue supporting your local shops if they offer online retailing.

we are open and praying for some buisness

poopdeck wrote:
I see no issues. It's a simple matter of avoiding large crowds, keeping a little distance from others, washing your hands and not touching your hands to your eyes or mouth after touching community items until you wash/sanatize your hands. Pretty much no different than normal prepandemic life. Everybody is acting as if this is transmitted through sight and sound. Prevention is very simple and effective, why complicate it with hyperbole.

As far as I last heard the governor said he was not going to enforce business closings so the choice is left up to the various businesses.

Hey Poop,

It's ironic that the main theme running through most of your posts is how insignificant fly-fishing is when compared to real life. In many cases I agree with this, but in all my years I can't think of another situation in which I would consider this being as "real life" as it gets.

Is fishing so important that one would risk infecting themselves or others for a spool of tippet or some chenille and hooks, however one may think the risk is low? Instead, I choose to listen to the health care professionals and not go out and shop for nonessential items right now.

However the choice is yours....at least for now.

poopdeck wrote:

And if everyone followed those simple matters, there would be no pandemic now. Which means folks were not. And still aren't, since we are seeing exponential growth of infections in PA. I can't believe the level of apathy and obliviousness that still exists. It's not hyperbole and no one thinks it can spread through sight and sound.

The reason the governor has not enforced this, yet, is he was hoping that people and businesses would comply without having to go to strong arm tactics. There's a huge psychological shift that happens when martial law and lockdown are employed.

I am self-quarantining. I'm so very lonely.

While we are talking about businesses’ being open and\or online, why are most businesses’ going to Facebook? Why not a real business web site. I despise companies that linked to Facebook pages that you must first logon to Facebook to visit. Anytime that happens I move that business to my never buy, never use and never stop by, list as I’m not on Facebook and I will never be on Facebook. Now I know that some businesses are not behind a, must log on Facebook page, but it is such a pain to visit because Facebook keeps asking you to log on and for the most part it is a social site not a business. I don’t want to like your business or see what you or your friends are doing, I want to do business with your company, and you can’t do that on Facebook. Facebook and twitter are the STD of the digital age.

GeneBeam wrote:
While we are talking about businesses’ being open and\or online, why are most businesses’ going to Facebook?
Because it's free as opposed to hosting a website.

What burns my arse is when a business has a Facebook page and a website but either updates neither or just updates the Facebook page, most likely because it is easier to do so or the morons they tasked to do updates are too lazy.

afishinado wrote:
poopdeck wrote:

Hey Poop,

It's ironic that the main theme running through most of your posts is how insignificant fly-fishing is when compared to real life. In many cases I agree with this, but in all my years I can't think of another situation in which I would consider this being as "real life" as it gets.

Is fishing so important that one would risk infecting themselves or others for a spool of tippet or some chenille and hooks, however one may think the risk is low? Instead, I choose to listen to the health care professionals and not go out and shop for nonessential items right now.

However the choice is yours....at least for now.

I am self quarantining and I am doing my part. However, if I need something I run out to the stores without fear or hesitation that I will infect or be infected. Pretty much what I have done my entire life. Panic if you will but not getting this is pretty simple if you follow basic rules of hygiene that Ive practiced all my life. It doesn't matter what the next guy does as long as I practice good hygiene simply by avoiding large crowds, keeping a little distance from others, not touching my face and washing my hands. I'm flabbergasted that everybody is so freaked out when prevention is really that simple. It's how I avoid the flu every year as well The only thing I'm really doing differently is I'm keeping a container of hand sanitizer in my car so when I leave the stores I can scrub up right away. I may add this to my normal repertoire and I'm not sure why I haven't done it till now.

I find the name calling of Responsible business owners over the top extreme panic or self righteousness. Neither of which is a good demeanor during a crisis. I like working and earning a paycheck. I'm sure those business owners and employees do as well. Especially when prevention is so very easy. Let's pull back on the panic and practice good hygiene while going about our daily lives. It's that simple.

poopdeck wrote:

I am self quarantining and I am doing my part. However, if I need something I run out to the stores without fear or hesitation that I will infect or be infected... Pretty much what I have done my entire life. Panic if you will but not getting this is pretty simple if you follow basic rules of hygiene that Ive practiced all my life. It doesn't matter what the next guy does as long as I practice good hygiene simply by avoiding large crowds, keeping a little distance from others, not touching my face and washing my hands. I'm flabbergasted that everybody is so freaked out when prevention is really that simple. It's how I avoid the flu every year as well The only thing I'm really doing differently is I'm keeping a container of hand sanitizer in my car so when I leave the stores I can scrub up right away. I may add this to my normal repertoire and I'm not sure why I haven't done it till now.

So you go to a store, touch a million things (except your face because you say so) then when you get back to your car, you "scrub up right away."

I assume because you said the hand sanitizer was IN the car it isn't hanging from a string on the outside of your car which begs the question...

...what about your car keys that you touched BEFORE you got into your car, the outside door handle you pulled open and/or the steering wheel you might have grabbed to get into your seat and the inside door handle you used to pull the door closed before you reached for the hand sanitizer...

...which may be in your glove box...

Do you "scrub" all of that stuff too?? If not, why not?

Did you use the rest room in the store? If so, I'm sure you washed your hands afterwards, but what about your belt buckle, zipper, pants snap or buttons that you fiddled with before and after you were done but BEFORE you washed your hands. Did you sanitize those too?

...Yea, it's "pretty simple" to make sure you don't get infected...

I'm not saying you're not trying or that you shouldn't go out if you really need something important, but if you aren't sanitizing EVERYTHING you touch during the process when you are done, you are only kidding yourself you are doing a thorough job.

If that's the case, staying virus fee may be more down to luck than good hygiene.

Back