Tackle and Fly shops open during quarantine

It may be free for them but it is not free to me; Facebook is requiring me to give them information, that Facebook sells to every spammer, that I normally don’t give to strangers to join, then tracks my every move on Facebook. No thank you.

Bamboozle wrote:
poopdeck wrote:

I am self quarantining and I am doing my part. However, if I need something I run out to the stores without fear or hesitation that I will infect or be infected... Pretty much what I have done my entire life. Panic if you will but not getting this is pretty simple if you follow basic rules of hygiene that Ive practiced all my life. It doesn't matter what the next guy does as long as I practice good hygiene simply by avoiding large crowds, keeping a little distance from others, not touching my face and washing my hands. I'm flabbergasted that everybody is so freaked out when prevention is really that simple. It's how I avoid the flu every year as well The only thing I'm really doing differently is I'm keeping a container of hand sanitizer in my car so when I leave the stores I can scrub up right away. I may add this to my normal repertoire and I'm not sure why I haven't done it till now.

So you go to a store, touch a million things (except your face because you say so) then when you get back to your car, you "scrub up right away."

I assume because you said the hand sanitizer was IN the car it isn't hanging from a string on the outside of your car which begs the question...

...what about your car keys that you touched BEFORE you got into your car, the outside door handle you pulled open and/or the steering wheel you might have grabbed to get into your seat and the inside door handle you used to pull the door closed before you reached for the hand sanitizer...

...which may be in your glove box...

Do you "scrub" all of that stuff too?? If not, why not?

Did you use the rest room in the store? If so, I'm sure you washed your hands afterwards, but what about your belt buckle, zipper, pants snap or buttons that you fiddled with before and after you were done but BEFORE you washed your hands. Did you sanitize those too?

...Yea, it's "pretty simple" to make sure you don't get infected...

I'm not saying you're not trying or that you shouldn't go out if you really need something important, but if you aren't sanitizing EVERYTHING you touch during the process when you are done, you are only kidding yourself you are doing a thorough job.

If that's the case, staying virus fee may be more down to luck than good hygiene.

Bamboozle, Sorry I neglected to state that I am not sick. I do not have the virus. I do these things to prevent me from getting sick wether it's the flue, a cold or COVID19.

There is no need to disinfect everything I touch as long as I'm not licking my keys, door knobs, belt buckles, public toilet seats and my fingers after touching such things. What's important is that I wash/sanitize my hands before touching my eyes nose or mouth. Again this is a long standing common practice of mine. If I need some tying thread I'm going to get some tying thread with absolutely zero worry that I will catch or spread the virus. I guess I'm somewhat concerned about sick people sneezing on me but no more then any other time in my life so I keep a little distance. I'll even shake a hand if it's extended to me. Again, as long as I don't lick my fingers afterward it's all good.

There is no need to panic or incite panic through rhetoric and what ifs. Follow the guidelines, which everybody should do regardless of a pandemic, and life will be fine. Thankfully this is actually one of the easiest viruses to protect oneself from.

poopdeck wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:
poopdeck wrote:

I am self quarantining and I am doing my part. However, if I need something I run out to the stores without fear or hesitation that I will infect or be infected... Pretty much what I have done my entire life. Panic if you will but not getting this is pretty simple if you follow basic rules of hygiene that Ive practiced all my life. It doesn't matter what the next guy does as long as I practice good hygiene simply by avoiding large crowds, keeping a little distance from others, not touching my face and washing my hands. I'm flabbergasted that everybody is so freaked out when prevention is really that simple. It's how I avoid the flu every year as well The only thing I'm really doing differently is I'm keeping a container of hand sanitizer in my car so when I leave the stores I can scrub up right away. I may add this to my normal repertoire and I'm not sure why I haven't done it till now.

So you go to a store, touch a million things (except your face because you say so) then when you get back to your car, you "scrub up right away."

I assume because you said the hand sanitizer was IN the car it isn't hanging from a string on the outside of your car which begs the question...

...what about your car keys that you touched BEFORE you got into your car, the outside door handle you pulled open and/or the steering wheel you might have grabbed to get into your seat and the inside door handle you used to pull the door closed before you reached for the hand sanitizer...

Did you use the rest room in the store? If so, I'm sure you washed your hands afterwards, but what about your belt buckle, zipper, pants snap or buttons that you fiddled with before and after you were done but BEFORE you washed your hands. Did you sanitize those too?

I'm not saying you're not trying or that you shouldn't go out if you really need something important, but if you aren't sanitizing EVERYTHING you touch during the process when you are done, you are only kidding yourself you are doing a thorough job.

If that's the case, staying virus fee may be more down to luck than good hygiene.

Bamboozle, Sorry I neglected to state that I am not sick. I do not have the virus. I do these things to prevent me from getting sick wether it's the flue, a cold or COVID19.

There is no need to disinfect everything I touch as long as I'm not licking my keys, door knobs, belt buckles, public toilet seats and my fingers after touching such things. What's important is that I wash/sanitize my hands before touching my eyes nose or mouth. Again this is a long standing common practice of mine. If I need some tying thread I'm going to get some tying thread with absolutely zero worry that I will catch or spread the virus. I guess I'm somewhat concerned about sick people sneezing on me but no more then any other time in my life so I keep a little distance. I'll even shake a hand if it's extended to me. Again, as long as I don't lick my fingers afterward it's all good.

There is no need to panic or incite panic through rhetoric and what ifs. Follow the guidelines, which everybody should do regardless of a pandemic, and life will be fine. Thankfully this is actually one of the easiest viruses to protect oneself from.

I really hate that the Internet spreads falsehoods so quickly and people believe what they read without checking the info and/or the sources of info.

Here is the latest science on the spread of Covid-19 >

The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The results provide key information about the stability of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 disease, and suggests that people may acquire the virus through the air and after touching contaminated objects. The study information was widely shared during the past two weeks after the researchers placed the contents on a preprint server to quickly share their data with colleagues.

Please read the complete article from the National Institutes of Health >

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

Hygiene is important but I don't think that alone will guarantee anything. I have nothing to prove this but I'd bet KD washed his hands often. He shows no symptoms yet he tested positive.

Uhh... time to give PAFF a break. There’s not this much chatter on Facebook!

Governor Wolf solved the problem of fly shops and saved the morons from themselves:

https://www.wfmz.com/health/coronavirus/gov-wolf-orders-non-life-sustaining-businesses-to-close/article_68d9b5f6-6a24-11ea-9799-f7e712b56fc4.html

No chenille or tippet after 12:00 midnight!!

poopdeck wrote:

As far as I last heard the governor said he was not going to enforce business closings so the choice is left up to the various businesses.

Well, he just made it real easy to figure out what is and isn't "essential", took the choice out of it, and will be enforcing it.

https://www.erienewsnow.com/story/41916748/governor-orders-all-nonlifesustaining-businesses-in-pa-to-close-at-8-pm

It looks like I will be using some of my older muddler minnows in my fly inventory on my next trip to the Poconos instead of my preferred bead/cone head wooly buggers.

I just saw on WGAL that Gov Wolf has mandated all non essential businesses close by Saturday noon. WGAL has a list on their web site. I have a feeling fly shops are on that list.

My deportment at work has been cleaning every day, Shadow boards ,walls, phones computers shelves and floors. I would have trepidation about purchasing fly tying materials at a fly shop as I know I usually open packages and inspect materials before purchase.

Here's the list:

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/wfmz.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/3e/83e2417e-6a2e-11ea-9152-57a9a6c5d240/5e73ee11a4895.pdf.pdf

Fly shops fall under Sporting Goods Retailers and should have closed at 8:00 pm tonight.

Enforcement actions against businesses that do not close physical locations will begin at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

afishinado wrote:
poopdeck wrote:
Bamboozle wrote:
poopdeck wrote:

I really hate that the Internet spreads falsehoods so quickly and people believe what they read without checking the info and/or the sources of info.

Here is the latest science on the spread of Covid-19 >

The virus that causes coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stable for several hours to days in aerosols and on surfaces, according to a new study from National Institutes of Health, CDC, UCLA and Princeton University scientists in The New England Journal of Medicine. The scientists found that severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was detectable in aerosols for up to three hours, up to four hours on copper, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel. The results provide key information about the stability of SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19 disease, and suggests that people may acquire the virus through the air and after touching contaminated objects. The study information was widely shared during the past two weeks after the researchers placed the contents on a preprint server to quickly share their data with colleagues.

Please read the complete article from the National Institutes of Health >

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/new-coronavirus-stable-hours-surfaces

Ahhh, the bliss of ignorance in full bloom...

Interestingly enough, that pdf of life-sustaining businesses states that besides grocery stores, "beer, wine, and liquor stores (beer distributors to remain open)" may continue operations.

My wife just informed me that California has just issued a statewide stay-at-home order. Coming soon to a state near you.

FYI, latest news from TCO fly shops >

Combating the Corona Virus

Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today ordered all non-life-sustaining businesses in Pennsylvania to close their physical locations to slow the spread of COVID-19 starting.

All TCO locations will be closed starting starting Saturday March 21st 12:01am.

Your last chance to shop in our stores is tomorrow (Friday, March 19th)!
We hope to see as many of you as possible for this last shopping day for a while.

TCO Fly Shop is proud to be part of the solution to your stress and want to make sure that you are still able to get the supplies needed to keep you on the water and enjoying the outdoors.

TCO Fly Shop will be allowed to conduct sales online or over the phone.

PLEASE call one of the store numbers below and we will personally shop with you on the phone... OR you can shop online anytime with us. During this "new world era" we will ship to your house for FREE!

We appreciate all your support over the years... and during this tough time!

Sincerely,

Tony Gehman
Founder - TCO Fly Shop

TCO Web Sales - (610) 678-1899 xt 1

TCO Reading - (610) 678-1899 xt 2

TCO Haverford - (610) 527-3388 xt 3

TCO State College - (814) 689-3654 xt 4

TCO Boiling Springs - (717) 609-0169 xt 5

So TCO is defying the order to close, effective yesterday at 8;00 pm until the enforcement actions against businesses that do not close physical locations begins at 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

Responsible guy that Tony that puts profits before people...

...I am so glad I never shop at TCO and I never will.

Yeah, I read that packaging from TCO as being a little intentionally defiant too. May just be my mis-interpretation, maybe not. Judge’s call.

That said, I’m going to try and not judge what businesses do during these unique times (within reason) as the be all and end all of my relationships with them. If they were someplace I liked to do business at before this, I probably will again after.

Disclaimer - The extent of my historic TCO purchases have been a few flies here and there and other immediate consumables (tippet, floatant, etc) while on a trip or outing and they were the closest option. My limited experiences were positive however, and I would use them again in that capacity, despite the fact they may or may not be open today. (I would not support their decision to keep their stores open to the public today, if they are, by making any purchases today however.)

From my friends at A&G Outfitters:
"The state has mandated closures for all non-essential businesses, starting this weekend. (I'd say fly fishing is pretty essential, but the law is the law.) Call, email, Facebook or Instagram message us with your orders, big or small, and we'll get them out to you right away. Curbside pick up is available if you want to grab your items asap. If you live in the Scranton area, we'll offer free delivery right to your door. If you live outside the Scranton area, we'll offer free shipping on purchases over $100."

Back