Susquehanna River Morning Visitors

Schaefer406

I partly live right next to the Susquehanna and whenever I come out in the morning my truck is always covered in bugs. I couldn't ID the first bug. The second bug looks like a Brown Drake? Looks too dark and brown in color to be a Hex but I could be wrong. Looking for some input here. Its definitely cool to see the variety of bugs that the lower Susky has!

Attachments

• IMG-0131.JPG
    IMG-0131.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG-0128.JPG
    IMG-0128.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 99
sure looks like a Hexagenia to me. Two tails. Drakes have three.

The smaller one is an um, "light cahill"

sure looks like a Hexagenia to me. Two tails. Drakes have three.

The smaller one is an um, "light cahill"
Thanks for the info - Your IDs seem to be correct! I am still working on my insect IDs, I have most down but not all. The PMD is a beautiful bug, same with the Hex. Very glad to see them present in high numbers each morning in the summer time! Not sure if either of them are indicator species, but I can only assume their presence means that the Susky has relatively decent water quality despite everything going against it.

This was on the swatty in force last week i figured it was just a sulphur. Does anyone seriously fish the HeX hatch in the susky? Or do they just keep chucking buggers, poppers and clousers? Wondering if anyone night or morning fishes the spinner fall for warm water species ect.
E38E5130-0434-4331-8B39-373DD35F22B7.jpeg

This was on the swatty in force last week i figured it was just a sulphur. Does anyone seriously fish the HeX hatch in the susky? Or do they just keep chucking buggers, poppers and clousers? Wondering if anyone night or morning fishes the spinner fall for warm water species ect. View attachment 1641230944
If I recall - There is a member on the forum (forget specifically who) who mentioned that fishing the Hex hatch if you time it right can be absolutely lights out fishing. I know one thing I would really like to try for smallies and other WW species is indicator nymphing using the nymphs of the Susky's mayfly species

If I recall - There is a member on the forum (forget specifically who) who mentioned that fishing the Hex hatch if you time it right can be absolutely lights out fishing. I know one thing I would really like to try for smallies and other WW species is indicator nymphing using the nymphs of the Susky's mayfly species
Me 2 i live like 15-20 min from fallmouth on the E-Town/hershey border and have though about this as well.

Think I read his article he staked out a dam on consetoga HARD and fished some big foam spinners to carp,smallies and catfish.

When the hex hatch happens, it's often too high or dirty. With the low water conditions, you can definitely fish it this year. It's not super heavy but brings fish up. I have some big foam or deer hair extended body hex dry flies that are number 8-ish. Maybe I should get off my azz there and get out there 😉
My guess on those flies would have been some sort of steno and a hex but I didn't feel like being wrong 🤣

When the hex hatch happens, it's often too high or dirty. With the low water conditions, you can definitely fish it this year. It's not super heavy but brings fish up. I have some big foam or deer hair extended body hex dry flies that are number 8-ish. Maybe I should get off my azz there and get out there 😉
My guess on those flies would have been some sort of steno and a hex but I didn't feel like being wrong 🤣
I am trying to catch spinner fall for first time this summer. Going to continually temp out my local stream and hit mucky areas at dusk where i have seen hex duns and emergers all over

I partly live right next to the Susquehanna and whenever I come out in the morning my truck is always covered in bugs. I couldn't ID the first bug. The second bug looks like a Brown Drake? Looks too dark and brown in color to be a Hex but I could be wrong. Looking for some input here. Its definitely cool to see the variety of bugs that the lower Susky has!
Overall, the Susquehanna can be difficult to determine what the bugs actually are. I'm not saying it's impossible but there is such diversity and variety in insect life it is difficult.

I promise you though, it doesn't matter much as far as the fishing goes. It's not a limestone chalk stream with picky trout or even a tailwater. Its a WW river with aggressive fish and likely if there is a hatch in big enough numbers to bring them up, it's a well known large hatch, like Hex or White Flies. In those cases, a generic fly of size and color will work just fine. Details don't apply much.

Last edited:
The article said this happened on June 13 of that year. We're getting close to June 13. Is it on?

And does this epic Hex hatch occur all along the Susquehanna River? How about the Juniata River?
I will post if i can ever get out there. Hoping to wade fish around fallmouth in next few days.
A1EF24B7-CCD6-4363-A04E-72A7BD29E20C.jpeg

Tonight, house is covered in golden stones and hex. Apply my theory for low pressure triggers heavy hatches

Attachments

• IMG_20230611_230834723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230611_230834723_HDR.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20230611_230935709.jpg
    IMG_20230611_230935709.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 28
Back