Sulphur Nymph Patterns

J

jjbrown1072

Hey guys,

I'm starting to tie up some Sulphur nymphs; however, I'm not getting the correct dubbing color. Can anyone share their specific dubbing blend and possibly post a picture?
Much appreciated,
Jason

pheasant tail nymphs..

Second vote for the good old pheasant tail.

The attached photo contains a bunch of different nymphs from spring creek in centre county. The sulphurs are the yellowish ones with the blackish wing-cases. I also basically use pheasant tails to imitate them. I use the pheasant tails that are died yellow for the body, black thin-skin for the wing case and brown-olive SLF dubbing for the thorax, which is fast to tie and it looks very buggy after you pick it out.

P5180006.JPG

Idk, i dont see the sense in getting all specific with sulphurs. I use copper johns and PTs all throughout may, for every mayfly. I've never had any problem catching fish.

PT's in many sizes... I go from 20 to 12 with and without bead heads... may not be an exact match, but works very well.

I use this pattern sometimes. but on less pressured streams a PT is perfect. (Tan thread, ginger-ish dubbing, olive thread rib, and wingcase material of choice)

I have caught a lot of fish on a unweightewd/floated PT about 12" behind/below a sulphur parachute.
One trip I caugth three fish in a row with both flies stuck side-by-side in the fish's mouths.

Attachments

• Sulphur Nymph.jpg
    Sulphur Nymph.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 19
jjbrown,
Welcome to PAFF.
With regards to sulpher nymph colors, any generic brown nymph pattern will do the trick. Unlike sulpher duns, which tend to be a cream color, the nymphs are usually a medium to dark brown - sort of a walnut to chocolate color, often with speckled legs and tail.

Keep in mind that dubbing darkens when wet too.

on less pressured streams a PT is perfect

I don't know if there is a more highly pressured stream in the state than spring creek, and the PT works pretty well there throughout the hatch. I don't think trout ever learn what a pheasant tail nymph is, no matter how many they may see. If a fish is selectively feeding on sulphur nymphs, you will be able to catch it on a pheasant tail.

Glad this thread was started - it reminded me I gotta tie more sulphur nymphs. Here's my favorite...

Attachments

• sulphurnymph1.jpg
    sulphurnymph1.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 22
  • sulphurnymph2.jpg
    sulphurnymph2.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 23
Do you have a recipe for that Heritage? Looks good I'd like to tie some up in the next week or so.

kyle1248 wrote:
Do you have a recipe for that Heritage? Looks good I'd like to tie some up in the next week or so.

This pattern is a modification of a Loren Williams fly - his dark sulphur nymph. Loren is updating his website, and he hasn't put that tutorial back up. Loren is one heck of a great tyer!

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/guiding

Here's the recipe:

hook - Tiemco 3761 sz 14

weight - 10 wraps of .020 lead wire, covered with thread, and pinched flat with smooth jaw pliers

thread - tan Danville 6/0

rib - black Ultra wire sz small

tail and legs - partridge

abdomen and wingcase - mottled turkey tail

thorax - dubbing mix: 50% ginger rabbit, 25% red fox squirrel, 25% orange antron

Thanks Heritage!

HA, that is one nice looking fly. gonna try to tie a few tonight but Its gonna take a little practice to make them look that good.

I just tied mine for the swap.

The basic pattern is a hare's ear, but I use specific materials to match the sulphur.

Tail: Clump of guard hairs from a golden dyed hare's mask.
Abdomen: 50/50 mix of underfur and guard hairs from a golden hare's mask. The underfur is a gingery chocolate color.
Thorax: Lighter underfur from the mask with a guard hair dubbing loop (guard hairs from he golden hare's ear) palmered over it.
Wing case: yellow pheasant tail.

Thats one BUGGY lookin fly!! thanks for the pic and recipe.

[color=006600]Sulphur nymph isn't as important to match exactly as is the emerger or dry. I'll echo the calls for the PT nymph or maybe a dark HM nymph... those match most any mayfly in the correct size.
mike
[/color]

Nice Pattern Ed. Kissing cousins!

Attachments

• H-Ed's Sulpher.jpg
    H-Ed's Sulpher.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 13
Back