sulphur emerger

turkey

turkey

I don't have much experience with emergers as I don't usually get to fish over a hatch. I wanted to tie some up before this weekend so I ask you guys...will something like this work for a sulphur? Its a sz16. I grabbed ideas from several different patterns and tried to condense it into something that would be a quick tie. If anyone has any suggestions (z-lon shuck, antron wing, etc.) please let me know. I wanted to get some input before I tie a bunch. Thanks as always.

Attachments

• sulphur_emerger1.JPG
    sulphur_emerger1.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 14
It depends how you want to fish them. I tie some emergers with a short sparse wing (usually CDC) and fish them subsurface either on a greased leader, under a small speck of strike putty, dropped off a dry, or even under a full blow shot/indicator rig. I usually don't include a shuck on these patterns.

I also tie emergers with full wings of CDC, snowshoe hare, dear hair, etc which are essentially dries that are designed to float with their bodies beneath the surface. A shuck of antron rounds out the fly.

If I was to fish the fly in your photo, I would probably go with a subsurface method, aiming to fish it within a few inches of the surface. The CDC wing will add some floatation, but I don't think it will be enough to keep this particular fly on the surface.

Observation of how the fish are feeding can give clues as to how you should be fishing. Fish rolling just under the surface but not actually taking insects off the surface should tell you to fish just under the surface. Fish that are breaking the surface to feed, but not taking dun patterns, are often suckers for the second form of emerger that I described.

Good luck.

Kev

Like kev said, change the deer hair to cdc. The browns were crushing that very fly on spring yesterday. First fish was a dandy 15 incher.

would you be willing to share your recipe Turkey? I am always interested in quick ties.

Kev and Beeber, thank you for the suggestions. Someone gave me a rather large bag of leftover or odd sized deer hair patches last year...it's more hair than I will use in my lifetime. I was at the fly shop yesterday and looked at the CDC for awhile and thought, "you better use what you already have." I'll grab some next time I'm out.

peen9305 wrote:
would you be willing to share your recipe Turkey? I am always interested in quick ties.

of course I can. Like I said, i just threw this together, and I would consider it a "generic" emerger pattern, and the materials should be whatever you want to substitute, have on hand, or something that you know will work. I'll list what I used on this one specifically....

Hook: Size 16 Dai-Riki #135 scud/pupa hook
Thread: Gordon Griffith 14/0 pale yellow
Tail and Abdomen: Pheasant tail
Thorax: Wapsi Superfine Sulphur Yellow dubbing (#286)
Wing: Deer hair

Pretty basic...I tied the back end like a standard pheasant tail nymph minus the ribbing. I did leave the tail a little longer than I normally would. Then I dubbed the thorax, tied in the deer hair wing, and dubbed back over the wing base...whip finish and done.

hopefully the trout will look favorably upon it.

thanks again guys.

Thanks. Hopefully gonna hit the Sulphurs this week on the Little J if this rain doesn't blow things out. I will let you know how the fly work out. Thanks again for sharing.

i heard a lil bit of marabou or chickabou feathers are good to use as nymph shucks ..... i use a sparse brown and sometimes amber antron.... i usually have good luck with most emergers

Back