Sulpher Swap 2011

im in, ill tie a wingless sulphur dun

I guess ill jump in too. Hows a parachute sulfer dry sound?

Both sound good, Welcome to the Swap!

JH

So I have been researching what my cdc emerger might look like for the swap. I have seen patterns vary from very dark to very light, with an almost olive grey body and white CDC, to very dark body with dark dun CDC. There seems to be a prevailing wisdom that early season sulphurs are lighter, and later season sulphurs are darker. While I don't wish to debate that with anyone (as I am not qualified) I DO want to tie a fly that most of the participants will find useful and hopefully catch a fish with.

My brother gave me a sulphur gift set from FFP in State College last year, and they are very dark with about a medium dun wing.

I am comfortable with my skills, but I am torn as to what color pattern would be most appropriate. Does anyone care to chime in, or should I just surprise everyone?

Thanks,

Steve

Go for the surprise theory.

I also have been researching patterns and found that the lighter colors are common with the smaller sulphers, which I have seen later in the month/hatch. This color variation is mostly in the nymph stage, as the adults colors seem to be consistent in all sizes, which vary from stream to stream. So again, go with the surprise approach.

JH

Updated Swapper list,

flyfishermanj- TBA
flyfishingNZ- nymph (weaved body)
GRP- sulphur dry
sniperfreak223- Sulpher Vis-a-dun and a sulpher spinner
jay348- sulphur para dun
LSRABecker- Lehigh Sulphur Spinner
BelairSteve- CDC emerger
Phlsphyguy- quill body klinkhammer sulphur
FrequentTyer- TBD
boss_steb- snow shoe emerger
jayL- Sulphur nymph
mrflyfish- cdc sulphur spinner
auker9- wingless sulphur dun
Brookiebuster101- parachute sulfer

That makes 14 out of 16 spots taken, deadline is next week( 31st).

JH

I'll do it. Parachute sulphur. size 14

I'll take the last spot...pattern TBA

Final Roster for the Sulpher Swap,

flyfishermanj- TBA
flyfishingNZ- nymph (weaved body)
GRP- sulphur dry
sniperfreak223- Sulpher Vis-a-dun and a sulpher spinner
jay348- sulphur para dun
LSRABecker- Lehigh Sulphur Spinner
BelairSteve- CDC emerger
Phlsphyguy- quill body klinkhammer sulphur
FrequentTyer- TBD
boss_steb- snow shoe emerger
jayL- Sulphur nymph
mrflyfish- cdc sulphur spinner
auker9- wingless sulphur dun
Brookiebuster101- parachute sulfer
edhank- Parachute sulphur. size 14
goodfortune- TBA

This Swap is full, to those who missed out, I'm sure there will be another swap when this one concludes.

JH

Swappers,

I will be Pm'ing you my address this weekend sometime.

JH

Flyfishermanj. I posted a while back that I'll be tying a biot body parachute, so you can update the TBD. Great to see a full swap!
Mike.

Swappers,
check your inbox, have sent my address. If you didn't get one, let me know.

JH

Decided to change to an sulphur emerger instead of a nymph as this fly has been catching fish already and I tied a dozen over the weekend.

Attachments

• sulphur emerger.JPG
    sulphur emerger.JPG
    723.5 KB · Views: 4
Nice!!

i guess i waited too long, i was on the fence to jump in or not, oh well

So how many flies total do we need to tie if we are going to do the 15 in the swap, Dave and mods (how many mods).

I think I worked out the number of mods by mistake...4 (or correct me if I am wrong). So the total = 20 flies.

NZ,

Your right, so no correction needed.

JH

I commented earlier in the thread about how there are huge differences in the sulphur patterns I have researched. I have tied up two very different ones, and would love to get some feedback.

The first one is a dark sulphur emerger, lemon wood duck tail, rusty antron and mahogony dubbed body with olive thread rib, natural dun CDC puff wing and dubbed thorax.

The second one is mallard flank tail, a blend of yellow and orange sulphur dubbed body, light cahill dubbed thorax, and light dun CDC wing.

Any and all feedback and criticism (constructive or otherwise!) is welcome.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• Dark Sulphur Emerger.JPG
    Dark Sulphur Emerger.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Light Supphur Emerger.JPG
    Light Supphur Emerger.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 2
No criticism here! Both look good, the only question would be what size did you tie them on?

JH

Back