Sucker nymphing

mute

mute

Did some spot fishing for suckers today. Friend caught 4 with worms and i had 2 nymphing. The hardest part of summer sucker fishing is keeping the sunnies off, uhg.

http://www.pafishing.net/forum/gallery/data/sucker1.mov

http://www.pafishing.net/forum/gallery/data/sucker3.mov

OK if you didn't get the memo carp are now cool to fish for however suckers are still not Kosher quarry.

Don't worry mute some day all the trout snobs will start caring about other fish than trout and pull their noses out of the air . But I think that will all change when global warming starts kicking in and heating up the trout streams . :-D

Hope ryanh is joking.

I am kind of joking. I will hit the local sh%^ creek cause it runs behind the house. I will target carp, fall fish and chubs......but I ain't happy about it. :-o

I am not a trout snob. I like salmon too! Seriously I will fish for anything and love going for bass with the long rod. Some of these fish just still gross me out.

I do not care for any fish that croaks.

What about humans I think I heard you do it a few times after you had a couple St. Paulie girls in YA at the Smokies :lol:

I don't understand why people hate suckerfish. They fight way better than the trout.

I cauught about a 3 lb sucker in a lake on my 4 weight and it was a blast. It didn't jump or take any runs but it just kept doggin'. Their slime is a little bit stinkier than trout and it's hard to get a hook out of their mouths... those are my only criticisms.

Well, I get primo sucker fishing during the spring steelhead runs from Lake Erie.....the lake run suckers get quite large (24"+). Their spawn peaks about 2 weeks after the steelhead. I'd definitely say that inch for inch, steelhead fight much harder than suckers. I get enough of them at that time of year. Some swear they are good eating (poor mans crab cakes, etc.)......

"I don't understand why people hate suckerfish. They fight way better than the trout."

Um so do canadian geese but you don't throw bread flies at them. Suckers are not a game fish. If you are satisfied catching them I am honestly happy for you.

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:
....Some swear they are good eating (poor mans crab cakes, etc.)......

They may be delicious farm-raised, as are catfish and carp, but if you are going to eat any bottom feeders from Lake Erie, better have your shots.

Good point, you'll get you're lifetime USDA reccomended mercury with one fish.

Carpin' is getting popular up here, I just can't get into it. Bass, bluegill, yes, cause they'll hit stuff on the top, but bottomfeeders, no.....

And redfish, went fishing for them last month, and I can't get over that they're really sheephead.....

"Um so do canadian geese but you don't throw bread flies at them. Suckers are not a game fish. If you are satisfied catching them I am honestly happy for you."

Oh but i do, that and shotgun shells.

Pound for pound, trout fight harder.

Suckers just tend to be bigger.

In my experience, of course.

If ya'll really wanna fish some 'em bottom feeders, git you down to Tennessee and do you some noodlin'

OhioOutdoorsman wrote:

And redfish, went fishing for them last month, and I can't get over that they're really sheephead.....

I'm confused. I just caught some redfish and some sheepshead on Sunday and they were definitely unique species. Redfish on the grille...mmmmm...... I have a buddy who is born and raised in Fl. who says sheepshead (saltwater, not freshwater) are the tastiest fish in the ocean. he told me this the day after I released the last 3 legal ones I have caught. It seems that whenever I set my mind on eating a certain species of fish I stop catching them. I just broke a 5 year curse on reds. 26 3/4 inches 6 and a half pounds, nice tournament red as well as a few others. That being said, I have fished for suckers, but carp and fallfish are my choice mudfish.

Boyer

if you dont mind me asking where did you catch theme?

I'm confused. I just caught some redfish and some sheepshead on Sunday and they were definitely unique species. Redfish on the grille...mmmmm...... I have a buddy who is born and raised in Fl. who says sheepshead (saltwater, not freshwater) are the tastiest fish in the ocean. he told me this the day after I released the last 3 legal ones I have caught. It seems that whenever I set my mind on eating a certain species of fish I stop catching them. I just broke a 5 year curse on reds. 26 3/4 inches 6 and a half pounds, nice tournament red as well as a few others. That being said, I have fished for suckers, but carp and fallfish are my choice mudfish.

Shephead and redfish are both considered drums, which I think refers to the fact they feed on crustasceans and mollusks on the bottom. Although they are in different genus I'm sure, they remind me of each other in terms of how they feed, fight, and look. Take away the cool black spot and it looks like a sheephead to me.

Yeah, sorry about that OO, I answered my own question not long after I posted that. I was thinking of the salwater sheepshead, which is a completely separate species from the freshwater sheepshead, which is in fact, a drum, and does look like a red without the spot. My bad.

Boyer

Back