Striped Bass Report, Jersey Shore

Out front is producing some nice fish, i did not get out due to family events but I got info and pictures of 3 40 lb plus fish getting caught out front. My buddy got in this morning from a trip zero fish inthe back bay and got 10 out front up to 33 pounds. Heading out tonight if weather plays nice. This cold front should help out.

Starting next year one fish @28 and a 25% comercial reduction. I was hoping for a slot limit to protect the cows but this is a step in the right direction.

http://www.surfcastersjournal.com/reading-the-beach-identifying-sandbars-troughs-cuts-part-ii/

Great info

Hello All

Visiting my brother in Long Branch. (Thur-Sun) He has an apartment on the beach. He can get a surf rod I can use if I want. Would it be worth throwing some casts? Is now a good time? What lures should I be using? Never fished the surf before. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

MikeS wrote:
Visiting my brother in Long Branch. He can get a surf rod I can use if I want. Would it be worth throwing some casts? Is now a good time? What lures should I be using?
Mike

Yes and yes. If it is a conventional surf rod (ie. not fly fishing gear) you can throw just about any typical surf fishing lures and potentially catch bass. You can't go wrong with a yellow "Bomber Long A."

also try white bucktail around 1-2oz, small teaser ( fly) tied about 18" up on a dropper. Lots of jetties in that area, be VERY careful if you are thinking about going out on one.

Gold kastmaster spoon or the Cabela's knock-off of same. I think it is an ounce, but may be 1.5 oz.

White or bunker colored 4"-6" Storm or Tsunami swim-baits.

Lots of bunker around so a weighted treble would be handy. Bombers are great but my new personal favorite lure along with many other surf guys is an sp minnow, avas and teasers. White bucktail. I doubt that you want to spend a lot on plugs but there are a ton of money on lures but there are some great builders out there. A pencil popper and Danny swimmer are a good bet. Run around 20 some more but they are really cool. Ive tried my hand at it and its truly an art form.
Chunking is always a good option.

Fished out front of avalon and sea isle 2 bites water was at 60 degrees. hit the back water temps at 52 got into some nice fish, fishing deep holes and feeders. bummer of the day was banging up my port side prop, running the inlet that i have not been though in 2 years. love the sound of chattering the bottom of the sea floor.

Chunking would be the easiest and least expensive. 1 to 2 oz White bucktails with a 6" white twister tail always produce (assuming you are where the fish are of course) I like to use a big full white with some dark on top teaser above the bucktail. Something like the picture (I ran out of white hackles)

Thanks for the report SNJ, I'm hoping the water temps drop a bit more for my trip next week. Its my last bit of time off from work so I hope to hit it just right.

Attachments

• 1415204297455.jpg
    1415204297455.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the advice

Couple more questions.
Any better time to fish? Day? Night? Tides?
The beach where I am staying was replenished, OK to fish there or find a different spot?

Thanks

Mike

MikeS wrote:
Any better time to fish? Day? Night? Tides?
The beach where I am staying was replenished, OK to fish there or find a different spot?

I'm not a fan of beach replenishments and would likely look to fish elsewhere. Chat up the locals, see what they say about fishing in that area.
Best times, IMO, are dawn and dusk with a moving tide.

View from today. Marking a lot of bait, picked 11 up on the troll.

Attachments

• sea isle.jpeg
    sea isle.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 3
Wanted to give a report from the weekend.
Get to Long Branch and the rod and reel my brother (non fisher) had was not useable. The reel was seized. Took it apart and soaked it some vegetable oil. On Rt 36 stopped at Kmart and bought a jointed bomber lure. Put the reel back together and it worked. Went out Sat. at about 5 PM for an hour or so. Happy to say I did catch a striper. Pulled out the camera and the battery was dead. Small one about 20 inches Threw it back and went in and had a beer.
Thanks for all the advice

Mike

NIce!! you're hooked now.

Hopefully the moved south a bit, I'll be headed down to surf fish DE tomorrow afternoon and all weekend. Sounds like they are already getting some shorties at CHSP where I'm heading so that's good news. No fly fishing though, just lures and bait this weekend for me. All I have is a 3 wt. glass eagle claw anyway so that wouldn't do me any good haha.

It's good to hear the stripers are still in DE. I'm making a short run to DE tomorrow. I'll throw the 8wt in the truck in case I have time to make a few casts.

Caught nothing but numb fingers yesterday morning in north jersey. One guy fishing bucktails was doing pretty good on shorts. Lots of birds further off the beach, but they didn't really seem to be working much mostly just milling around. Saw some bunker.

Here is this morning's report from Betty & Nick's @ SS Heights / IBSP:

11/16/14 UPDATED 4:27 AM It's the dead sea again as far as I can see. Not one bluefish or bass caught in the tourney yesterday and even the night bite was bad last night. Unless we get these fish that are still north and some sandeels quickly, this will be one of the worst Fall runs I can remember.

Had our daughter on Weds evening 9lb 2 oz, mom is home but Shelby had to stay due to swallow breathing doctors think because of her size,so no fishing for me until we get her home. So i am out for the rest of the season good luck guys!

Back