Striped Bass Report, Jersey Shore

http://www.reel-time.com/articles/conservation/open-letter-asmfc-striped-bass/

Sunday is the night 11:40 pm high tide, should be some great fishing.

i read an interesting thing this week on stripers - that the Newfie & NB rivers are stuffed full the last few summers with schoolie stripers.

up there, they are blaming the poor salmon runs on striper predation of smolts and parr.

which is interesting because Maine as far as i know has also had poor fishing since 2006/2007.

Great reports guys. I've been out a handful times in Sept. from the boat in Raritan Bay and out front. Only smaller blues to show for my struggles. This weekend will be my first opportunity from the beach/jetties. Haven't looked at the weather/tides yet, but my plan is to fish early Sunday AM til roughly lunch or so.

Anyone wants to team up, let me know. Always feel more comfortable with a partner fishing in NJ at night!

I might be game for Sunday. Still early in the week so not sure the plans. Ill pm you if you are interested and we will figure things out.

My plans are set yet either. Its only Tuesday. I'll check tide & weather Thursday and make a decision/plan.

I'll keep in touch.

Well got down today for an afternoon night trip. Tides seemed to be better then. Got to the water and saw tons of bait and birds on them. Water was dirty out front but the bay was gin clear. Found out quickly that it was just some hickory shad on bay anchovies. Caught a few and got sick of it so moved to a nice sheltered beach in the back and found fish breaking or small anchovies. This was at slack ride once the tide startes moving action picked up. Bass blowing up a few schools of peanut bunker. Switched over from a anchovy pattern to a bucktail deceiver in a chicken scratch color. Fish cast with it drilled a nice schoolie who fought surprisingly well for his size. Action tapered off but hooked into another really nice fish but he popped off as I tried sroping him from going into a pipe that is in the water. Once it got dark there were still a few fish feeding but couldn't get thwqm to take.

15451277241_7957cb70fe_q.jpg
[/url][/img]

Let me know if you can see the pic. Still having trouble figuring how to post them.

Nice job.

I landed on the jetties on Sunday AM and zero-dark thirty. As soon as some light hit the water, ****tails on poppers all morning until about 8:30. Didn't see any bass taken in my area. Bounced around the rest of the day in Monmouth Co., picking off blues here and there. Today, my should is sore and I have a nasty chomp on my thumb from a feisty blue. All and all a nice day in NJ water front!

I was grinding some rocky structure during my trip. The yellow/black combo was fished for about an hour. The chart. fly, not sure what happened. Looks like the hour-glass eyes slipped right out of the wrap. I wrap all eyes and they a thin coat of super glue to secure them.

Attachments

• Missing Eyes.jpg
    Missing Eyes.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2
Thats funny, the exact same thing with the disappearing dumbell eyes happened to me for the first time last week too.

Happens to me when im around jetties.

flies smacking the rocks on your backcast happens to me all the time

We still have been killing the bass in the back bay, alot of keepers in the mix now. Top water action when the tides are ripping has been the theme. Headed to the Del river and tribs the past 2 days, hit some more bass, got into the perch like crazy 34 keepers the first day. Also some puppy drum in the mix. Heading back out tonight looking for the bass that rolled me the other night easy 40" fish.

marcq wrote:
Happens to me when im around jetties.

or a steep stony beach. its your backcast hitting the terroir due to the weight of the eyes.

look into 'steeple' type back casts, ie with a high back cast going up rather than back.

back in the day, i used to use heavy weighted eyes on all my clousers and either water haul or steeple my casts.

eventually i learned that depth is better achieved with Density Compensated lines, sinking heads and or manipulation of the lines.

now all my clousers have brass dumbells and 60 degree jig hooks for the up down jiggy motion.

and of course you could cast em with a switch or spey rod too.

I tie enough that I don't really care if they break.

fishing has been good out front, up to 47 inches. loads of bunker and peanuts. lots of top water action until someone drives through to set-up to catch them. 47' to 67' of water seems to be holding the pods.

Heading out tonight for giant tuna, ham bone to the wilmington then to poor mans. got a report from my buddy of a 252 pounder caught this morning.

SNJ, how'd you make on on the tuna? We got the bigeyes in early September last year on a friend's boat. 162# 130# on the trip I was on, then a week later they landed a 250#. What a fight they gave, reeling them in was the only time I wasn't green faced and throwing up from 7' seas on my first deep sea trip ever.

2 nights out and the fishing was hot, 2 swords, 12 long fin 40 pound average, 4 yellow fin to 60 pounds, 2 blue fin largest 392 pounds. Lost at least a half dozen blue fin novice crew in the boat. Rule # 1 never never let them above the surface, the run harder then when you first hook into them. Every lobster pot was holding Mahi, everyone had a ball hooking into them stripping flies.

Back