Streamers

i will second the kevlar thread , and super glue , i use 12lb mono for trailing loop , supple enough to let it move but ballsy enough to bring the big fellas in , mallard flank wings (big ones ) on the trailing fly really make em swim side to side like a big tail on a bait fish . keep this thread going.

Hey Fish here's a funny story. My family goes up to Ole Bull for a week of trout fishin' every year. And if you ever fished there they have a fly project down stream towards First Fork, on Kettle. I pulled in about 2 hours before dark along with a ford Expidition full of guys. To make a long story short they looked like a Orvis and Patagonia catalog models. They were kinda stuck up....they were D***K's puttin it kindly.

I let them fish through while I was riggin and they actually told me that there was no pike or musky in the creek(because of the4 inch streamer I was tyein' on). I waded in a run above them which 1 of themmoved to low holed me. First cast after i wet the streamer I didn't even get a strip on the the fly a trout wacked it. I had to slip down in the middle of them to land it which wasn't well recieved buy them. It was a 20 + inch rainbow on a cabelas 7wt rod that when I bought the blank on sale it was cheaper than the stogies the dudes were smokin. You talk about a priceless moment. Esecially when I just unhooked it let it swim away. That was the highlight of the trip and it was the first evening of fishin.

*sorry for runnin on but I promise it was funnier if you were there!

A couple others I have tyed and fished. Sorry about tye quality some of these have bin fished hard.

THE SEX DUNGEON (WHITE)
DSC00400.jpg

ANOTHER DUNGEON
DSC00401.jpg

THE CIRCUS PEANUT (OLIVE)
DSC00399.jpg

ANOTHER PEANUT
DSC00398.jpg

THE BUTt MONKEY
DSC09106.jpg

very very nice....I cant spin the deer hair that well around the barbell eyes...any tips.

jeff

govtmule wrote:
very very nice....I cant spin the deer hair that well around the barbell eyes...any tips.

jeff

Use stick on eyes.....

I am by no means an expert on spinning hair, but it seems that most people dont use enough hair. You really need to pack it in and put a lot of pressure on it to get a dense head on your flies. This will help fill in the empty spots around your eyes.

Streamers are one thing I don't use much of, and after all the talk on here recently I think I might change that this season. Plan on messing around on the vise tonight.

using kevlar thread u can really rip down on that hair , make sure u got a good thread base to pack it on too . don't try to put 1 big clump on at 1 time , maybe try 3 smaller clumps ....lmao

you guys have a specific leader yinz use for these monsters or even the lil # 4's i plan on using?

are using articulated flies illegal in ffo sections , the reason for asking is because , they are 2 individual flies each with only one hook with mono line between them , would be like fishing tandems wouldn't it ? wonder what a wco would say if you asked this question ? just food for thought here guys

Like Dave said, you have to consider the "letter and spirit" of the law.

That certainly is an ingenious argument against the "letter" part, but a WCO would probably nab you on "spirit".

ok so i thought i would give it a go.... here is my first attempt at an articulated fly

Attachments

• big cougar.jpg
    big cougar.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 4
Jeff, I don't pack my hair I want it to shed most of the water is absorbs on its back cast . It ain't a "Hopper' it isn't supposed to float. These things hold alot of water all the marabou and rabbit strips . The more is sheds on the back cast the lighter it is bring back over my shoulder with out hitting your self in the head or snaggin some other part of your body. Not that i've done that.

And as far as spinning hair around the eyes. I dont spin hardly any of it. The collar super I super glu right behind the eyes just on top of the shank of the hook. Take your hair after you've stacked it. Hold it butt section up. Clip the butt sectoins of the hair at a 45 degree angle. Place it on the hook with longest hairs on the top and rap back. That keeps your collar just your collar. and it's just behind your eyes that are tied on the bottom ofthe hook ( dumbell or bead chain). stack the hair on top of the eyes flare it. rotate your vise so the fly is upside down and place your secon clump of hair and do the same. Infront of the eyes is the only place i spinn the hair. Thats my trick about hair around the eyes.

And the leader I use is about 3ft. long. 16 inches of 20ilb. and 20 inches of 12. I join the tippet to the butt section with small black bird barrel swivel in between. It's funny as H*ll thinkin 12 pound mono as tippet. The reason for the swivel is browns are notoriuos rollers when hooked. I need somethin to take the twist out.

And as far as a the 2 hook thing. Tye the front or the back on a Waddington Shank it's not a hook. It's the shank I tye intruders on.
Partridge%20Waddington.jpg

i Will try that....thanks for the tip.....i just noticed your BLS avatar...NICE.

JEFF

What kind of deer hair are you using for those?

Wapsi premo deer hair strips It's a 15 inches x 2 1/2 inche long piece of deer hair. The longer the piece of deer hide the more consistant the hair is throught out.

premodeerstrips.jpg

Nice streamers, Jay!
You made me pick up my 5wt again!! LOL I caught my share of trout with big streamers. The UL outfits are only good in the skinny water in the summer...... but then they shine like nothing else!

[color=0000FF]Jay, check into Kelly Gallups streamers. Especially the ones that use tandam hooks.[/color]

I saw the movie "Streamers for Big Trout" by Kelly. A couple years old, but he didn't catch a stinkin' thing in the whole video!! only one smallmouth bass. He was using big hollow streamers with a 6wt and floating line while floating down a super trout stream!
But Kelly isn't that great of a fly fisherman. He casts like a sissy and I think of him as the Bill Dance of fly fishing! I watch the movie every so often just to laugh at him!

The big flies also bring up another question: Would you rather catch one big trout, or a dozen small ones?

Thanks 1wt

From what I have seen of Kelly Galloup, he's an excellent fisherman.

It's hard to look good casting a full sinking line.

one big trout. no contest. i've had my fun catching numbers.

It's apples verse oranges. I have my streamer rod at my pick up everytime i go fishin'. Just incase. I don't know how many times I headed back to the truck to get it.

Here my last 2 streamers.

Schmidt's articulated sculpin
DSC00411.jpg

An a leach pattern "KJH"S Leech"
DSC00410.jpg

Back