Streamers

littlelehigh wrote:
In another month or so Jay I'll be up for it!

I can just see the whole caddie thing now like golf (standing stream side flipping through a note pad) what you wanna do sir is throw this number 2 black bugger just left of those riffles in the center but first let me change flies for ya and shorten your tippet Masta

Count me in too! Never fished those streams out there.

Only on the caddy thing - make my caddy a scantily clad attractive woman that adjust my leader, ties my flies on, and serves me drinks while i fish.

j i really like that bugger in your avatar it looks wicked

Thanks jayL for your pics.
I noticed those streamers are mostly in 'monochromatic' colors?

i have a good streamer i would like to post here but i only have one vise and no way to hold both hooks for the pic .....lmao hheeeee

Hammertime-

Do you have an online resource on how to tie Galloups articulated flies or do I have to buy the book??? I like this video, but it is not an articulated fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWq95R0vv24

JG

Kelly wrote an article called "Trigger Flies" in the May 2007 Fly Fisherman mag. He explains some of his favorite patterns in it. They are all articulated.

I thought about getting his dvd where he ties them but I heard from some people that it is really boring!

I've bin tying a bunch of large streamers to look for the large trout bite too...
DSC08880.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

sdgreen.jpg

Can wait to go prosecting for some meat eaters!

PACOFRANSICO,

I think I saw that first one on my bird feeder this morning. I think it was a sparrow....def. NOT a robin, though. ;)

skybay,

Yeah, I think that using solid, dark colors gives the fish a better silhouette to attack.

On the galloup flies-

I have seen many variations, but it seems like the zoo cougar is everywhere.

You fish them with a sink tip, right?

Hey Fly. Throwing a 5 inch long articulated fly on a 7wt. full sink line isn't considered fun buy any ones standards. But the bite when it eventualy happens it's all worth it. You wouln't catch the numbers for juvenile fish because your targetin the 18 inch and up fish. I usaully try to find the fish using my regular fly rigs, but if I cant get em then the big "sparrow type flyies get there attention . Beleive it or not they work more times than they don't.

Incase anyone was wondering the first pic in the post was a "Zoo Cougar" the second is a "Articualated Fathead Minnow" and the 3rd is a "Sex Dungeon".

Pacofrancisco,

Can you post recipes or materials lists? I'm pretty sure I could reverse engineer from the picture, but it would help.

You fish them on a full sink line? What about a sink tip? Do you target deeper water?

I'm always looking to expand my streamer skills.

Here is a link to my tutorial for the "cougars" on another site. I fish a full sinker, 90 % of the time. Yes on smaller streams I do use sink tip line but I always carry both with me. One thing to remember the faster the sink rate the faster you can fish the fly deep with it still being in the lower 1/3 of the water level.

Zoo cougar tutorial

Here is a couple more of my big streamers
sdolive.jpg
zooartic.jpg
Sex-Dungeon.jpg

Paco,
Those are some nice ties! Welcome to the site BTW.

There's a few of us monster streamer thugs among the ranks here on this site.
It's kinda like when a couple members of a biker gang show up at the wine and cheese reception at some elitest art gallery and start chatting up the snobs. :-D

Paco,

Just poking a little fun.

I've been spinning and stacking deer hair for bass on 2/0 hooks recently. And, I've done a fair amount of saltwater tying so I'm into the big stuff.

I've been intrigued by the articulated patters. For the first time this Spring I fished an articulated GD nymph....worked great!

I bought some Gamakatsu ocopus hooks for articulated streamers. Never tied then but I'm going to soon. I was thinking of trying some articulated poppers for bass and something like your ties for trout.

I even got a 6wt XP and overlined it a bit for this kind of fishing (and light bass, too).

I think those sparrows will be good night flies. The big heads pushing water and all that wiggle must send out a seductive "come hither" to predatory fish.

tight lines!

I was day dreaming yesterday of throwing large streamers at dusk at the JAM this year. I thought of a few patterns to tie, and will mess around at the vise soon with some large hooked streamers. Would like to finally achieve my goal of catching a 20"+ trout.

nice ties thanks for the tutorial i think those will do just fine in a number 4 i need all the help i can get with tying streamers this spring ill also find out how i fish with them....

EDIT: heres my first cougar

Attachments

• cougar.jpg
    cougar.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2
Here are some photos indicating the method I use for large, articulated streamers. I posted these on a thread last year about monster streamers and will put 'em up again as there is some interest on this thread regarding how to tie articulated sections. I use lazer sharpened rubber worm hooks. I use braided wire for the loop and kevlar thread to ensure a very tough lashing of the wire to hook shank.

Edit: That's a mighty nice ZC for a first try Flip.

Attachments

• MonsterStreamer 1.jpg
    MonsterStreamer 1.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 2
  • MonsterStreamer 2.jpg
    MonsterStreamer 2.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 2
i had soe help from that tutorial..... i cant take all the credit now on your articulated streamer which way will the back half move and is there any way to control it?

flipnfly wrote:
i had soe help from that tutorial..... i cant take all the credit now on your articulated streamer which way will the back half move and is there any way to control it?

This type of articulated fly will mostly wiggle side to side but does have some up and down motion too. One problem some "loose" articulated streamers have is they foul themselves but this pattern tied the way I indicate doesn't seem to foul much for me. If you do experience this problem, one solution I use is to tie a short length (about an inch) of rubber band extending forward from the eye of the trail fly. Once you attach the trail fly to the forward part with the wire loop, just lash the end of the rubber band to the shank of the forward hook. This will stiffen the joint enough to prevent most foulings but still preserve the fly's movement.

PACO-

Awesome ties, thanks for the link. I know there are larger fish than what I am catching. I listened to all Kelly's podcasts and I have one of his videos, ordered my 7 wt today, now I just have to tie up some monsters. Looks like I could empty out my fly tying supplies quickly tying some of those. Thanx again.

JG

Back