Streamers

Jay,

How long are those hooks? I think these are 4 or 5xl.

they look like mustad 9672 size 2's I use them on my big flies.

i use 4x orvis for streamers , they are expensive but they stay razor sharp after alot of use and abuse

I guess it's streamers for tonights tying session.
When I use the rabbit strips for tails, they always seem to get chewed off after a couple of good takes leaving a giant nymph.
Anyone else find that?

nope...

i cant seem to get my tails to stay on top of the hook and that posesx another question since im tying a zonker weighted with dumbell eyes and hook riding up do you guys think i should have the tail tied on up side down so when the hook rides up so does the fur?

yes the fur should cover the hook , when you tie streamers it helps to use kevlar thread or something similar that u can cinch down really hard without breaking , also a good thread base keeps the zonker from sliding arround on the hook shank when tying in , probably no advantage to tying it upside down , just make it harder to tie in my opinion. also try the pinch the thread and soft loop it tow turn then bear down on it and wrap a couple more turns , other guys will hopefully chime in i am by no means a expert tyer

well i use 210 thread to tie them and i used some zap a gap also and im tying a weed guard too

Sandfly got it. They are 4xl size 2 Mustads. Few inches long. FLies are probably similar sizes. Thanks for the pics bam. What did you use for the body?

Blueheron,
I havent had that problem with rabbit or pine squirrel strips. Where did you get yours?

I cut strips from salvaged fur coats. I'm gonna have to pay more attention to the thickness of the hide when I'm selecting strips, I usually am focused on the fur side.

I have limited supplies of mustad hooks for sale. Some are for big streamers.

Those ones have a chenille body. They've been in my box for a while so I'm not sure what I used for the rib... looks like golden ice or similar dubbing with flash. To rib them, just leave the tag end of the thread hanging off the back or maybe make a dubbing loop for a shaggier body.

Jay-

Nice ties. How did you tie the collar on the first fly? I assume that is a cross cut zonker strip? I have not done it as neatly, getting it tight against the cone head.

I have been doing the same thing, tying larger flies and rigging a fly rod for streamers. I am going with a 7wt. Want to catch a monster brown, I have been in a rut, catching plenty in the 18-22 inch range every year and I want to get one in the 25" range plus this year.

Here is a podcast / program from Kelly on catching large trout. He has specialized in this for a long time. Warning, the recording is 90 minutes long. The link to the recording is on this page.

http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/kelly/kelly.cfm

Hammertime-

Do you have an online resource on how to tie Galloups articulated flies or do I have to buy the book??? I like this video, but it is not an articulated fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWq95R0vv24

JG

JG,

Yeah, it's a cross cut zonker strip. I leave a quarter inch or so gap between the lead wraps and the cone head so that the rabbit skin can seat nicely. I also took scissors to that one to clean it up a bit, so it wasn't that neat after tying.

Blueheron,

Yeah, I have a bunch of dyed rabbit furs that I have used. I have found that the pre cut zonkers are higher quality than stuff I have cut myself.

Thanks all. Keep em comin.

Jay
What kind of box (or briefcase) do you care those streamers in. If you ever need a caddie on stream to carry those let me know

littlelehigh wrote:
Jay
What kind of box (or briefcase) do you care those streamers in. If you ever need a caddie on stream to carry those let me know

A ripple foam box about the size of a DVD case. I think I showed you the meat box before. I don't need to have more than a few of each pattern because I throw them on some heavy, heavy tippet.

I don't often get to fish them around here. They excel in bigger water. You up for a trip to central PA? Let me know. :-D

LL,
Streamside caddie is an awesome concepts.

Hey if people are willing to pay to fish, I'm sure they would pay to have someone hold all of there stuff for them (super guide).

I carry my large streamers in a foam rippled box. Some of the really large ones I slide foam on the hook point and lay them in an open box.

I carry mine in a Cabela's double nubby box. It holds a decent amount of small streamers and buggers on one side, and a a number of biguns on the other. More than enough for a weekend trip when using 8 or 10lb tippet.

In another month or so Jay I'll be up for it!

I can just see the whole caddie thing now like golf (standing stream side flipping through a note pad) what you wanna do sir is throw this number 2 black bugger just left of those riffles in the center but first let me change flies for ya and shorten your tippet Masta

Haha.

Why don't you just come fish them with me and we can call it even. I gave a few to my friend last time out, and he managed to figure out how to best fish them before I did. I usually start pounding the banks and quickly stripping them in, but he was getting them on a slow, controlled swing. They're buggers and slumpies. No wrong way to fish em!

Back