Streamer Swap 2015

GenCon wrote:
Tyger if there are any extra flys of mine. Keep them for yourself. I know you will use them and due them justice.

GenCon

+1

Your swapmeister efforts are much appreciated!

jay348 wrote:
GenCon wrote:
Tyger if there are any extra flys of mine. Keep them for yourself. I know you will use them and due them justice.

GenCon

+1

Your swapmeister efforts are much appreciated!

+2

I couldn't agree more. Thanks, Tyger.

Keep any extras from me as well! Great thing you hosted here

Thanks to all for the extra flies! I can guarantee they will get wet.

All flies are in, and will be shipped out ASAP.

Thanks to all who participated.

I am planning on making a 1 day blast to the salmon river in New York this coming weekend maybe I will have some new streamers to swing.Had a lot of fun doing this swap hope to all a mighty fish on.

Melvinp, I have never fished for steelhead. But am curious. I have heard about guys using streamers. I was wondering if my wooly bear fly would work. Or is it too plain? Meaning not enough color.

GenCon

Would just like to say thanks for a good first swap experience to everyone involved! Also, thanks again Tyger this was fun. Can't wait to see everyone's flies.

Mike,

I never fished for steelhead either so I know nothing more than I have read about the big chrome sided fish and their addiction to sucking in the candy. But I can almost guarantee you that I will stick a carp (the blue collar bonefish) with your Wooly Bear fly. I may not land it, but I think my chances of sticking one with it are very good! Can't wait to give it a shot.

Thanks again, Tyger. Can't wait to see the streamers and field test them. Keeping the thread going with some pics of results using the swap flies can also be a really good time!

Gencon by no means am I a steelhead expert but I have had the pleasure of catching a few and have even more laugh at me and swim away.The early steel does seem to like the candy colors but as time passes and they spend more time in the river the do become more interested in the natural look.Most of the fish I have been able to land have been on egg patterns and hot wire flys but I have hooked up using wooly buggers before later in the year.Just like any other fish right time right place.

No great news of salmon river trip,Went above 2A bridge with a group of 6, 1 small coho and a brown landed and only 3 hook ups for a 5 hour tour.Me well I got skunked well it was a nice day just no major run of fish.single egg patterns were the go to fly.Good luck maybe next week.

Could you post a pic of all the flies that were in the swap? I've scrolled threw and found some of them.

I received mine today. Thanks everyone for your hard work and for letting a beginner participate. Some really nice streamers begging for some fishy action!

Got my streamers yesterday. Awesome job by all tyers involved. Can't wait to field test them. You may see this thread occasionally resurface with some results of the field testing of the swap flies. A continuation of the thread with guys results using these flies can definitely add to the whole swap experience.

melvinp,

Great creation! I'll definitely be using your fly as a change up fly for carp. It has all of the components of a great carp fly. It may have a bit more flash then I normally include on my carp flies but I'm pretty certain that dog'll hunt!

Thanks again, Tyger, for your time in organizing the swap. It's a commitment to run one of these. Job well done!

Got my flys and have to say thanks to all for a good time at the vise.Good luck DC hope to see a picture with a T1oo0 planted in the mouth of a carp,Or a smallie,trout ,bluegill well you get the point as long as its not in a hand or somewhere you cant reach to get it out.Tight lines and a mighty fish on from Wyoming county PA.

All of this^^^

Well done guys, I plan on fishing every one of these (and hopefully remember to post pics).

This was my first fly swap and I thoroughly enjoyed it. All the flies look great and can't wait to get them wet. Thanks Tyger for organizing this swap.

Well, I got my first of the 2015 PAFF Streamer Swap flies wet today. The nod went to melvinp's T1000 pattern. I was driving today past a pond that I have driven past many, many times over the years and never even stopped to look at. As I was passing it today I just happened to notice a carp surface. So I immediately pulled off of the road to check it out. There were quite a few carp in the pond so I strung up quick and tied on the T1000 which I had laying on the dashboard. I didn't take long until one decided to check it out and it was game on! It was a chunky 23 incher and put up a really good fight in the open, still water. After a good battle I finally got it to the net.

The only issue I had with the fly was the durability of the hook. The hook was bent from the weight and power of the carp. Luck was on my side and I still got it to the net. Standard wire hooks generally don't stand up real good against the fight in a decent carp. I usually tie most of my carp flies on 2X heavy hooks. I still have the fly so I will be using it as a model to tie up some more of my own on some heavier hooks. This was my first carp that I ever caught on a jig style hook. I like the concept. Great pattern! Thanks, melvinp. Lots of fun! Here are a couple of photos.

Attachments

• T1000  carp 1-1.JPG
    T1000 carp 1-1.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 4
  • T1000 carp 1-2.JPG
    T1000 carp 1-2.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 4
Got my flies today and all look really good. I plan on heading out this weekend and will put them to good use and can hopefully follow-up with a report.
Tyger, thanks again for organizing the swap, was also my first one and look forward to many more.

GenCon, your wooly bear is a very neat tie, and probably one that ill try to tie myself if I ever get the chance of acquiring some bear fur, The bead and hook compliment the fur nicely giving the fly a great appearance.
Jay348,
A great looking bass fly, and good choice of color, can't wait to give it a go.
LaurelRun,
I'm gonna be honest, your fly is gonna probably be one of the first I tie on because that bugger is super effective in most of the streams I fish. Very well tied bud.
dc410,
Great tie, and excellent choice of color as well, what fish can resist olive? This fly looks like its gonna go deep quick and have great movement with that tail.
Tyger,
Again, thanks for hosting the swap, your fly instantly stood out, with the bright yellow soft hackle that blends nicely with the body. Can't wait to try it out.
Lazlo,
You sure Bob didn't tie this? :)
Great tie
Melvin,
Without a doubt, this is a nice little creation, and a well-balanced fly. My only concern is that it will be too effective..hmm.. We will see :)
I haven't really fished many jig flies, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

P.s
Hope you all catch a few with the sculpinhead fly. Was actually my first time tying with the sculpin helmets to help add some additional weight.
Cheers,
LetortAngler

John that is a great fish. Letort, thanks for the compliment. Also I have enough bear hair to share some. If you would like some let me know. I would be more than happy to send you a piece.

GenCon

Thanks Mike. I am heading up to do some bowhunting this weekend. If I get going early enough and have the time I may stop by quickly on Shermans Creek and swing your Wooly Bear pattern and see if I can root up a smallie with it. Seems to me that a Smallmouth would have a hard time passing it up!

Back